The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought the type of ice cream maker that does not require ice or salt. The recipes in the manual all call for 2 cups heavy whipping cream and 1 cup of a thinner liquid like milk. I found a low carb recipe that calls for 2 cups heavy cream, 1 cup clear colored diet soda, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon artificial sweetener. I made it today, and it wasn't too great, and wasn't creamy, more like tiny ice crystals. I believe that was caused by the liquid in the soda.

I know I could use 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup water instead of the soda, but I guess the water would still make ice crystals. I would really like to use all heavy cream, but the beater seems so wimpy, I'm wondering if maybe it would end up being too thick for the machine to handle. Don't want to break it, especially since I just got it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I'd probably try 2:1 whipping cream:half and half. The half and half has 7 more carbs/cup spread out over the whole recipe,and if you don't overindulge, seems that would be fine.

Oh - and I'd be less concerned with the beater as I would with the result w/ all whipping cream.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Did it come with a warranty or from a company of reputation? If so, go ahead and try and if it breaks, complain and send it back for return. I'd make sure it can do what you need and if not complain. Mine is C'nart and does exactly what I ask of it. That's why I recommend a certain credit card. But, ice cream is a good treat and you need to have a good one that is reliable on hand.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did it come with a warranty or from a company of reputation?
Ha-ha-ha! It's an Aldi's $19.95 special. :D But it is guaranteed 2 yrs. Only thing is, if it breaks I can't take it back to Aldi's I'd have to mail it in. I know, I know. But I bought it to experiment with. If I can't find a way to make decent ice cream, I'm not out that much money. But if I can, I'll give this one away and buy a more expensive one.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I was thinking of buying an ice cream maker last year, and was doing lots of research. One of the things I found was a lot of people were having problems with the crystals. On the Berstein, low carb forum in their Recipe Section there are lots of different recipes that try to deal with this. I think one of them was using a little alcohol in the mix to prevent the ice crystals. Have you tried using Coconut Milk. The kind I use is 1 carb and very low carb. I think I would also use liquid splenda or Torani syrups.

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. A Complete Guide to Achieving Normal Blood Sugars. Official Web Site Click on online forum. Go to Recipes

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I use 2 cream: 1 almond milk for mine.

Oh, and take the bucket out of the freezer 1/2 hour (give or take) before freezing -- it won't crystallize. Mine simply gets TOO cold!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use 2 cream: 1 almond milk for mine.

Oh, and take the bucket out of the freezer 1/2 hour (give or take) before freezing -- it won't crystallize. Mine simply gets TOO cold!
I think you hit on something there. The center of the ice cream got so cold it wasn't long before some of it just kept going around and around in a clump in the center. And when I took the ice cream out of the bucket, there was a pretty thick layer in the bottom that wouldn't come out until it had sat for quite a while. I think it probably was too cold.

About the alcohol to keep crystals from forming, is that alcohol as in booz or sugar alcohol? I've heard of sugar alcohol, but don't know what it is. A certain kind of sweetener?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Plain old vodka is what Marty tried last summer. I think it worked, too.

None for me, thanks ...
I didn't have any clear diet soda when I made the ice cream, so I used diet pink lemonaide, and dh said THAT was too strong, so I'd better pass on the alcohol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts