The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was diagnosed with iron defiency anemia on 3/41/11. I am taking 4 Ferrous Sulfate (Iron) tablets per day. I am constipated badly. I want to stop the iron pills without the ok from my doctor, I can't stand the constipation. Does anyone know anything about the anemia and how long you have to take the iron? This is driving me crazy!

G

·
I was diagnosed with iron defiency anemia on 3/41/11. I am taking 4 Ferrous Sulfate (Iron) tablets per day. I am constipated badly. I want to stop the iron pills without the ok from my doctor, I can't stand the constipation. Does anyone know anything about the anemia and how long you have to take the iron? This is driving me crazy!
that's the problem with iron tablets I find. My doc put me on the liquid form called 'ferro-liquid' which is ferrous sulfate 30mg/mL. He told me this is used on children with iron deficiency and it's gentler on the stomach. I found it was better than the tablets personally. You still get a bit of bowel problems, but not as bad. Maybe try that instead if it's sold there? My iron level has improved a lot, so now I'm just doing maintenance (taking supplement once a week). Obviously the liquid worked faster than tablets too. On the tablets I was on it for a year... but I only took the liquid for a couple of months to bring levels up. Worth a try I reckon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts