The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am a 34 year old male and I was diagnosed with type 2 in October of last year with a A1C of 16! After 3 months I had it down to 6.9 with diet and exercise. As of today my A1C is 5.9.

In the beginning I had numbness and tingling in my toes. My general practice doctor did a prick test which I passed and also checked my circulation, which was good and he did not worry further. Well my condition got worse over the months, with pain setting in in the toes and the balls of my feet, so I went to see a podiatrist. He did the same type of tests along with several X-Rays as I was complaining of foot pain. He told me there was nothing wrong with my bone structure and said that some people just have feet that hurt. I know believe he was a quack!

My pain has gotten so bad in my feet it is affecting my life. I went to get a nerve conduction study done and was diagnosed with diabetic neuropathy.

I was on amitriptyline which did seam to work, but it knocked me out really bad, even at a low dose. Now I have been on gabapentin for almost a month and up to 1800 MG a day and I can not tell it is making a difference. I am also on Tramadol, which does appear to work, thank goodness!

I am starting to get tingling in my calves. My general doctor said I did not need to see a neurologist, but I am not so sure.

Do I need to see a neurologist, a podiatrist, a diabetic doctor? Suggestions?

It seems to be getting worse even though I keep my blood sugar in check and exercise regularly.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also have PN, and I experienced the pain you describe. It had been suggested to me that the pain was bad as the nerves were regenerating, and that it would get better. The pain has gotten better, I think due to good bs control. My A1c is also 5.9. Currently, my feet (and calves) feel like they are asleep almost all the time. I did see a neurologist, as I also have foot drop, and the neurologist tested to see if other issues were contributing to my issues, but it seems D is the cause of both my issues. A neurologist won't be able to do anything for D caused PN. An endo may be better qualified to prescribe the proper rx for PN, but my primary care dr is good so I haven't seen the need to see an endo yet, but may do so.

This is very much a difficult issue, and I suffer from a lack of sleep due to my issues. Good luck and hopefully your pain will get better.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
1)See a endocronoligest
2) I found Alpha-Lopic acid helps with Neropathy

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have heard caes where people lowered their bgs and HbA1c's very quickly like you did that there is sometimes neuropathy that comes with the quick changes. There was another woman , I'm not sure what forum was talking about it. I'll see if I can find the name of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have heard caes where people lowered their bgs and HbA1c's very quickly like you did that there is sometimes neuropathy that comes with the quick changes. There was another woman , I'm not sure what forum was talking about it. I'll see if I can find the name of it.
Thanks! My doctor has started me on Pentoxifylline, generic for Trental to see if maybe my nerves are not getting the red blood cells to them. He also refereed me to a neurologist.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Yes I remember the same thing. Actually if one is on insulin and they lower their blood glucose too rapidly a condition called insulin neuritis can develop. As the person keeps their blood sugars in range the condition will disappear on its own, but in the meantime it is best to treat it with pain medication that helps with neuropathy. I am thinking the same thing can happen to people who don't take insulin. The thing with insulin neuritis is that it is often diagnosed as neuropathy when it is a totally different condition.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Yes I remember the same thing. Actually if one is on insulin and they lower their blood glucose too rapidly a condition called insulin neuritis can develop. As the person keeps their blood sugars in range the condition will disappear on its own, but in the meantime it is best to treat it with pain medication that helps with neuropathy. I am thinking the same thing can happen to people who don't take insulin. The thing with insulin neuritis is that it is often diagnosed as neuropathy when it is a totally different condition.

Thanks Deafmack. This also happened to me and I never knew there was a name for it. At the time I thought I was losing my mind or imagining the severity of the pain.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts