The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or a kick in pants :( Or something...

I ate dinner at 7pm last night. Pole beans with bacon & onion. That is ALL. I had Tuna at 12 noon.
I took my evening meds . went to bed at 9:30 to watch TV, took my 25 un of Lantus.

Up this AM at 6, checked my BG 187!!!!!!!!!
:eek::eek:

what what what is going on??????

Oh & I have never ever done this ,,,,, I took 10un of lantus this morning, after my shock.. :confused:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I only eat small amount of beans. They makes my boodsugar look fine in the start, but slowly makes my bloodsugar rise and rise for hours. I don`t know the name "pole bean", maybe we have another name on it here in Norway?
Onion also has quite much carbs, a small onion is 4 carbs
When I don`t understand why my numbers are rising, I eat (and drink) the same once more and checks my bloodsugar very often to see if it was a coincidence, or if my body can`t have that food/drink or if I need to have a smaller amount next time.
Good luck!

Reactions: Carolina

·
Registered
31 Posts
or a kick in pants :( Or something...

I ate dinner at 7pm last night. Pole beans with bacon & onion. That is ALL. I had Tuna at 12 noon.
I took my evening meds . went to bed at 9:30 to watch TV, took my 25 un of Lantus.

Up this AM at 6, checked my BG 187!!!!!!!!!
:eek::eek:

what what what is going on??????

Oh & I have never ever done this ,,,,, I took 10un of lantus this morning, after my shock.. :confused:
Yea it's the beans they have a lot of starch which converts to glucose in the blood, just like corn.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
green beans? I had no idea. I guess thats it then. :eek: guess I will drink plenty of water today..

thanks. to those who replyed.

43 views ... hummm.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I don't think it was the green beans by themselves. I get my lowest fasting bgs when I have a good portion of protein, like beef. If I eat a plain salad for dinner without protein or fat my bgs tend to climb. I think you didn't eat enough and your liver kicked in with extra glucose. For example we went out to eat Mexican last night. I had a pretty big plate of spicey beef brisquet with guacalmole around 7:30. When I got home I had a Breyers Carb Smart Bar. Today my fasting was 101, the best all week.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think it was the green beans by themselves. I get my lowest fasting bgs when I have a good portion of protein, like beef. If I eat a plain salad for dinner without protein or fat my bgs tend to climb. I think you didn't eat enough and your liver kicked in with extra glucose. For example we went out to eat Mexican last night. I had a pretty big plate of spicey beef brisquet with guacalmole around 7:30. When I got home I had a Breyers Carb Smart Bar. Today my fasting was 101, the best all week.
I had nothing but the green beans.well the bacon & small amount of onion. I didn't feel like cooking much. In fact I wasn't even hungry when I ate this.
I looked at Atkin's & it says 1/2 cup :p lol I had way more then that.Maybe 2cups.
My BG # have dropped to 130 as of 11am.

Tonight I plan on top sirlion steak :hungry: No green beans lol.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I had nothing but the green beans.well the bacon & small amount of onion. I didn't feel like cooking much. In fact I wasn't even hungry when I ate this.
I looked at Atkin's & it says 1/2 cup :p lol I had way more then that.Maybe 2cups.
My BG # have dropped to 130 as of 11am.

Tonight I plan on top sirlion steak :hungry: No green beans lol.

2 cups = ~ 18 gr of carbs high in fiber ~ 6 gr

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My normal meal will be 3 oz of protein and 2 or 3 different veggies. I eat green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes and even a small amount of regualr potato once in awhile. I really don't think eating 2cups of green beans would keep you high for that long a time. I do find if I eat processed carbs like bread or any wheat product the extra carbs get stored as glycogen in my liver to be used for liver dumps. Sometimes I will eat a higher carb snack and won't spike right away but get a spike the next day. I still can't believe it was the green beans. Lots of times I feel like not eating and force myself to eat otherwise I will spike.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I agree with jwags - I wouldn't suspect the green beans either, but who knows, you have to look at everything. 2 cups = 8 net carbs according to nutritionself. That said, you might want to drown them in butter the next time ...

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I know . I don't get it. I ate 3/4 c greek yogurt around 12. I just tested (2:45) 189 :eek: :mad:
I have had only water to drink. :confused::confused:

Maybe I just need to eat something really fatty. :) However I am very worried bout this.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Sounds like you may not be eating enough! That can make your liver panic and dump glucose aaaallll over the place ("liver dump").

Yogurt can be tricky, to the point of cruelty. I've seen a lot of carby "plain" Greek yogurt out there. If it's labeled "low-fat," "reduced fat," "light" or "lite," it's got carbs. No matter what it says, I always check the carb count.

I try to get a combination of foods throughout the day: meat/fish/eggs, fats, veggies. I've had more luck with cheese than yogurt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts