The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lost 40 pounds the first 4 months after being diagnosed, but have about 40 pounds left to lose and no matter what I do, I've stayed the same weight for the last 4 months. I have read on the forum that Metformin can help with weight loss and I don't know if my doc will prescribe it for me because he says I am prediabetic and my last A1c was only 5.7, but I have been thinking about asking for the Metformin EX. I'm not taking any meds. I'd like some opinions. Do you think it is a good idea to take it for the sole purpose of losing weight?

I assume I should have a low dose, but I don't know what that is. I know everyone is different, but could someone give me an educated guess of how long it might take to lose the 40 pounds? I weigh 184 and eat about 30 carbs per day. Also, once I lose the weight and get off the Metformin, will I start gaining the weight back again? I really don't want to stay on it forever.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Metformin is a pretty safe drugs, even non diabetics take it. But it doesn't guarantee automatic weight loss. I think for some it helps curb appetite but I find I still eat a lot of calories per day just in smaller meals throughout the day. On any diet after you lose weight you will plateau, that is just the nature of dieting. I have an HbA1c of 5.3 and am still on the maximum dose of metformin 2550 mg. I take it not to control weight but to control insulin resistance. Do you exercise regularly? Sometimes by changing out the type of exercise you can start up the weight loss again.

Reactions: Spunky

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you exercise regularly? Sometimes by changing out the type of exercise you can start up the weight loss again.
OK, you caught me. I have been counting my daily household chores as exercise. Yeah, I know that really isn't exercise, but I got by with losing weight with no exercise for 4 months, I should have known it was too good to last. But I'd rather do the treadmill than take meds if I don't have to. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
It is common to hit "the wall" with weight loss. People get frustrated and revert to their old ways thus starting the yo-yo effect. Those that persevere start losing again in 3-4 months. I'd say hang on. The treadmill is a great idea. Exercise always helps.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
No matter what diet you do you will usually hit that plateau. I have had plateaus last 6 months. The trick is not to get discouraged and go off your diet. There are some tricks people use to break the plateaus, some may work for you. Switch the timing of meals around. Eat dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner. Switch around exercise. If you exercise in the morning try the evening. If you are eating a low carb diet try shaving a few more carbs . My weight is pretty consistent in the low 120's but often when I start to gain weight I will drop carbs below 30 for a week or so to stop the weight gain. Even on metformin it is possible to gain weight. As far as the exercise if you household chores exert a lot of energy you could count them as exercise. On days I can't get outside to exercise I will use the stairs inside my house to get my aerobic workout.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts