The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know diet is foremost for BGL control. My week in the hospital has my 500+ numbers in control now high was 240 low 116. The problem is in the hospital I'm getting 40 units of Levimir AM and PM plus 10 units of R Pre meal and a sliding scale dose of Novalog with each meal. I'm going home tomorrow and with no insurance and right now limited income I can't afford the Levimir and novalog only the N and or R but I've gotten deer in headlight looks when I ask the staff (MD RN etc) how to keep my numbers in check with only the N and R. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I was under the belief that Januvia should not be given with insulin. That may have changed by now since it was a few years ago I heard this. Also, if you are on just a basal (or long acting) insulin, perhaps you could use a bolus (fast acting) insulin as well with meals? Are you on metformin? These are meds you should be asking your doc about. How have your numbers been since first posting back in beginning of October? Are you following a low carb/high fat diet? If you have not done so yet, check out blood sugar 101 website for some really great information. It is certainly a good place to start out and understand what is going on with your body. Good Luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Glad you are getting out of 'prison' (Hospital) :D
I am pretty sure you CAN manage your BG with use of the N and R type insulin. If in the US, WalMart has the Reli-On brand insulin (N-R-Mix 70/30) at a much more reasonable price than the 'newer' ones.
Your Doc needs to be the one to determine the starting doses and times!
The "N" has a duration that would likely require 2 injections per day. While "R" would be injected (like you do now) before the meals, amount may need to be a bit more since you'd not have NovoLog sliding scale. TESTING your BG will be quite important, again WalMart has Reli-On types of meters/strips with prices MUCH better than 'name' brands.
Best to you and please let us know how it goes!
Larry

I know diet is foremost for BGL control. My week in the hospital has my 500+ numbers in control now high was 240 low 116. The problem is in the hospital I'm getting 40 units of Levimir AM and PM plus 10 units of R Pre meal and a sliding scale dose of Novalog with each meal. I'm going home tomorrow and with no insurance and right now limited income I can't afford the Levimir and novalog only the N and or R but I've gotten deer in headlight looks when I ask the staff (MD RN etc) how to keep my numbers in check with only the N and R. Any ideas?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I was under the belief that Januvia should not be given with insulin

I am on lantus & januvia.

when doc put me on Victoza she said to drop the januvia. That stuff (victoza) made me sick , so glad when Insurance wouldn't pay for it. I stopped taking it.

You can get your meds & supplies through clinics. You have to do the homework tho. Doc's won't help you with that info much, at least mine didn't. I had to tell them.:( then all she said was, oh good, I am glad you found them. :doh:

·
Registered
22 Posts
N and R will work

I am severe T2, and have a similar med profile. I have progressed thru all the orals, then Byetta, then insulin. I started insulin using Reli-on N and R. The Wal Mart Reli-On brand insulin is made by Eli Lilly, it says so on the vial.

Reli-On is less than $30 for a 10ml vial and works well. As you know the N is 12 hour, and the R is 8 hour and does not infuse as quickly as Novolog (which I now use). To increase infusion speed I would shoot R type directly into muscle (biceps), with the longest possible needle. This brings R type insulin into an infusion curve closer to Novolog. This is a legitimate technique, but should be discussed with your doctor.

As you noted, diet is the prime factor in all this. My life became much happier as I was able to cultivate (over time) the strength to simply see food for it's utility, and not as a source of pleasure. This does remove a source of joy in life, but the benefits in diabetes treatment do outweigh the loss. The benefits being weight control and lower blood glucose levels.

Hope this helps. Mellitus

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My knowledge of insulin usage is sketchy, but Mellitus' FINAL paragraph is right on target, and removing one source of joy is less traumatic if we find other sources to replace it. :)

Thanks, Mellitus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts