The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about a month ago.....after a lot of testing and eliminating my diet is so very drastically reduced....I feel very overwhelmed and was wondering if anyone can help...

In a nutshell if I eat anything with obvious carbs I spike and my body rejects it ('nuff said) also anything with the smallest amount of sugar does the same thing.

So here's my problem....I am finding it very difficult to find food to eat...

Especially breakfast... toast, cereal, yoghurt and fruit are out...baked beans are out...and eggs every day for a month is making me feel very unwell. I can't touch bacon either.

Have I painted myself into a corner?

Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Breakfast gets easier once we start thinking outside the "breakfast" box. I have always been one of the ones who ate leftover pizza or pie/ice cream for breakfast if I wanted to, and since my "D" diagnosis, that penchant has served me well. You might find me having cheese chips & guacamole for breakfast, or a small taco shell filled with salmon spread. I may fry up a cheese quesadilla or roll up a beef/bean burrito. Things like this are possible because I've found high-fiber tortillas I can use without a spike, as well as LaTiara taco shells which are very thin/crispy & only 4g carbs per shell. If there's a piece of leftover steak or prime rib in the fridge - that is fer SHURE gonna be breakfast! :D

Just think about all the low-carb foods you like, and if you want 'em for breakfast - go for it! I made this carrot cake last week & I even had it for breakfast one day! :eek:

I don't know much about GI . . . I just go by the carb count.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As Shanny said you have to think out of the box when eating low carb. I am rarely hungry when I wake up but I know I need to eat something. I usually eat some cheese and a handful of nuts. Instead of toast try some WASA or GG Brancrisps with almond butter and Walden Farm's 0 carb jam. I buy mine from Netrition.com - The Internet's Premier Nutrition Superstore! Some people can handle some plain greek yogurt with a splash of Davinci 0 carb syrup. Some mornings I will have leftovers from dinner. There are several low carb recipe sites that have tons of recipes for muffins and other breakfast ideas that are under 3 carbs

Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home

Low-Carb Recipes - Recipes for Every Low Carb Diet

1 - 3 of 3 Posts