The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I "look" at another board but don't post there because you guys are a lot more positive. There is a discussion now about if all Type 2's will eventually need insulin and the disease being progressive even after losing weight. I know we have all had success with low carb but has anyway had success after losing all the weight?

Oh yeah, I am holding steady at 203 lbs. Can 't wait to get below 200! Then I will have 60 more lbs to go. I am setting goals - twenty at a time!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Like you, I'm still in weight-losing mode. So far I think my success is almost exclusively from low-carbing (well, metformin helps!) since I got my numbers down so quickly. It's tough isolating factors, seems to me it's a package deal.

I'm very hopeful that once I lose more weight, stick closely to my diet, and get more exercise in, that my diabetes won't necessarily be progressive. We'll see.

The one difference I've noted is that a few months ago when I'd forget to take my metformin a couple times within a few days time, my bs would creep up. This past week I forgot to take it twice and my numbers stayed steady.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I lost weight the traditional way the 5 years before diabetes. I went from 198-148. Once I was dx'd with Type 2, 4 years ago I lost another 35 pounds. I did gain about 5 pounds back but am holding steady around 118-120 most days. I did it mostly with very low carb , high fat. I also take 2550 mg of metformin which I think helps too. My doctor told me I would probably need insulin last year but I tightened up my carbs and increased fat ( coconut oil) and was able to get bgs below 100. So far, so good. I am on vacation this week and we have been eating out a lot. I have noticed my bgs creeping up. So I need to reign in those carbs, otherwise I will put the weight back on. For me it is about the carbs.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Me, too, Jwags. When I found my BG high, I came home and put myself on the Atkins diet and as my BG came down, so did my weight...'til I was at goal. I used all the tools I could, and ate no more than 20 carbs a day (except for holidays, of course) and now I'm trying to learn just how many I can eat without gaining and keeping my BG down. You were/are an inspiration to me during those hard times as I adjusted to the diet, by the way! Keeping myself in Ketosis helped me also.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Weight loss success stories

I wish to encourage anyone who is having trouble releasing weight and suffering from its complications with Diabetes.

I excused my condition for five years with the fact that I was getting older. I was depressed because ten years ago, I had sported a size 2 dress at my 30th high school reunion. A year ago, I refused to go to the 40th year reunion because I was wearing a size 20. My knees hurt, the meds I was taking had me swinging from highs to lows, and I had constant diarrhea, low energy, and found myself feeling irritable without much provocation.

Something 'clicked'. A Chinese tradition medicine doctor took one long, disapproving look at me and patted my stomach, and that touch allowed anger to rise in me that snapped me to my senses with a vengeance. I immediately dropped all white foods (sugar, flour, rice, potatoes) and dropped artificial sweeteners. Because I was in poor physical condition, I didn't over-exercise, but walked regularly.

I have lost 100 pounds this year, and haven't taken oral meds for Type 2 since late January. My glucose levels remain under 100 now, and I'm back to wearing small clothes. Next week, well, I'll be 60 years old, but look and feel nearly as good as I did 20 years ago.

I want others to know this: Losing weight is faster than gaining it. If you look ahead and see where you want to be, you will arrive at that finishing line with great pride. All it takes is some self love and patience.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have lost 53lbs in 4 months. Dietary changes you ask?!?! LOL Soda intake. I used to drink Two 2 liters of Dr. Pepper a day or more. I went to a 7.5oz can of Sprite with meals. My insuln has been cut and my A1c level went from 12 to 6 My Dr. is now working on cutting me off my insulin all together and put me back on low dose of orals. Still losing!! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Congrats on your weight loss. Wowsers. That's great.

As for the Sprite, 3 small cans of Sprite would be what, about 100 carbs? Can't even count what you were taking in before. Amazing, isn't it?

I can't eat even 75 complex carbs (much less simple) without my blood sugar spiraling out of control. Will be interesting to see if you will still be able to do that w/out insulin.

I'd give anything to be able to eat that number of carbs in fruit (my regular whine.)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
There is a discussion now about if all Type 2's will eventually need insulin and the disease being progressive even after losing weight.
Some of us type 2's aren't taking any meds. We keep our bg below the level where any further damage will be done to our beta cells, which means our bodies will keep on producing insulin and as long as we stick with it, we should never have to go on insulin.

·
Registered
45 Posts
LOL yes, the Sprite works out to be 72gs all together for the whole day!! Not bad. I love meat and veggies so the carbs are hard to fill. Thank goodness because it could be the other way around!! I can't do straight candy carbs, they make me drop way to low!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get my quality carbs from bulgur, which is high in fiber and protein. Three tablespoons swell up to a nice portion of only about 79 calories, so I mix it with scrambled eggs, with chicken medallions, and even a bowl of soup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get my quality carbs from bulgur, which is high in protein and fiber. Three tablespoons wells up to a nice portion, and it goes well with chicken breast medallions, scrambled eggs, and a good filler for soup, instead of rice or noodles.

Only 79 calories in a 3 TBS serving (yields about 1/2 cup).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here are some stats on bulgur:

Food Item: Bulgur, cooked
Food Quantity: 1 cup
Carbs: 33.8g
Dietary Fiber: 8g
Net Carbs: 25.8g

Cooked Bulgur and Carbs

Grains and oats (like Cooked Bulgur), have a high carb count but a lower "net carb" or "digestible carb" content. They contain several vitamins and minerals. Grains and oats are often a good source of dietary fiber, which has a number of health benefits. For example, fiber helps protect against digestive disorders and disease. Healthy low carb diet plans typically recommend grains and oats in later phases of the eating plan, when you are permitted more carbs - although whole grain varieties are preferred.

For more details about carbs in grains and oats, see below.

Cooked Bulgur and Glycemic Index

Oats and grains which are higher in insoluble fiber content (mainly cellulose) are digested more slowly, and are thus lower on the glycemic index, which helps to maintain more stable blood glucose levels and healthier glucose metabolism. Eating more fiber helps to reduce the effect of high glycemic index foods by lowering the glycemic value of meals.

[

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here are some stats on bulgur:

Food Item: Bulgur, cooked
Food Quantity: 1 cup
Carbs: 33.8g
Dietary Fiber: 8g
Net Carbs: 25.8g

Cooked Bulgur and Carbs

Grains and oats (like Cooked Bulgur), have a high carb count but a lower "net carb" or "digestible carb" content. They contain several vitamins and minerals. Grains and oats are often a good source of dietary fiber, which has a number of health benefits. For example, fiber helps protect against digestive disorders and disease. Healthy low carb diet plans typically recommend grains and oats in later phases of the eating plan, when you are permitted more carbs - although whole grain varieties are preferred.

For more details about carbs in grains and oats, see below.

Cooked Bulgur and Glycemic Index

Oats and grains which are higher in insoluble fiber content (mainly cellulose) are digested more slowly, and are thus lower on the glycemic index, which helps to maintain more stable blood glucose levels and healthier glucose metabolism. Eating more fiber helps to reduce the effect of high glycemic index foods by lowering the glycemic value of meals.

[
I should add that these stats are for a full cup of bulgur - Three tablespoons of dried bulgur will yield a serving of 1/2 cup, and will be half of the figures shown.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you for the information. Still too high a carb count for me, eating fewer than 30 a day right now.
Patdart, this should not exceed your carb count if you consider that you wouldn't eat a full cup of bulgur and that the net carbs for even a full cup are less than 25.

I stick to a low carb, high protein diet and tend only to eat bulgur when I need some extra energy.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
When I find a friend who has some, I'll give it a try before I buy any! I've wasted so much money on things that didn't pan out for me after a year at this game. I have a good friend who will take those products, but still it's a big waste! Besides in time, I hope my carbs will be even higher since I'm just now raising them very
s l o w l y!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I get my quality carbs from bulgur, which is high in fiber and protein. Three tablespoons swell up to a nice portion of only about 79 calories, so I mix it with scrambled eggs, with chicken medallions, and even a bowl of soup.
For some of the grains like steel cut oats (oat groats) and hulled barley, soaking them for eight hours or overnight really cuts the cooking time. Do you have to soak bulgar, or does it cook in a reasonable time (15 minutes or less) without soaking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm 6' 5" and currently 230lbs or so. I was 290 before being diagnosed, and diagnosed when at 235lbs.. I am not sure if it was the increase in exercise i was having prior is why i lost the weight or if it was the gallons and gallons of water i used to drink before being diagnosed. I have no idea why i drank so much. I don't drink nearly that much anymore. My doc's got me on a 5+2 plan, cardio 5 days and strength trainign 2 days out of the week (preferably seperated by 2-3 days) and so far i haven't lost any weight but i think i've gained more muscle mass. Although, starting off it's difficult to get all that exercise in as your constantly tired from one or the other.

I was biking and walking this weekend so much I was barely able to walk 2 doors down to go to the grocery store. That makes it sound like i was overwalking but it was just general walking for 2-3hrs over the weekend and 1hr of biking, just sore. I'm more sore from the bad bike seat so the replacement cushiony seat just came in the mail today..

·
Registered
230 Posts
I "look" at another board but don't post there because you guys are a lot more positive. There is a discussion now about if all Type 2's will eventually need insulin and the disease being progressive even after losing weight. I know we have all had success with low carb but has anyway had success after losing all the weight?

Oh yeah, I am holding steady at 203 lbs. Can 't wait to get below 200! Then I will have 60 more lbs to go. I am setting goals - twenty at a time!
I've had a lifelong weight problem - 405 lbs. 30 years ago at age 28 (6 ft). After losing 200 lbs, I started slowly gaining & by age 56, I'd gained back 70 lbs & diabetes started then, BG: 497. The ER doc put me on Metformin, then my endocrinologist put me on Janumet. I started doing research & came across this doctor's program: Dr. Joel Fuhrman Improves Health - Lose Weight Naturally | Reverse Diabetes | Prevent Heart Disease and Cancer | Lower Cholesterol. I read his books & followed his suggestions for diabetes & weight loss. No meds for anything since 1-09 & I now weigh 180. (if you visit his web site, click on "Success Stories" at the top of the page. I'm the sixth one down - "Tony.")

As for diabetes "progressing," I've heard that from two CDE's. Yeah....it may progress - especially if you follow the American Diabetes Association's dietary guidelines.

You may find this interesting:
A few weeks ago, at a diabetes support group meeting, I browsed through a folder with information, including a “Food Pyramid For Diabetics” approved by the American Diabetes Association. The name “Merck” appeared on each page. It recommends 6–11 servings of starches & grains/day. Sounds excessive to me. I’d love to eat that much starchy food but I think I’d need lots of Merck’s drugs if I did.

Another booklet was entitled, “Diabetes and You...Your Guide to Better Living With Diabetes.” The inside cover says “Favorably reviewed by AADE – American Association of Diabetes Educators.”Also: “These Novo Nordisk patient education materials were developed using information from the following sources: American Association of Diabetes Educators, American Diabetes Association, and American Dietetic Association.” One page reads: “Following your meal plan and staying active often are not enough to keep your blood sugar in check. Medicine is almost always necessary.” It also says, “Insulin is often a main part of diabetes care for type 2 diabetes.”

What a coincidence....a drug manufacturer saying things like that.
Well, actually they’re correct....following THEIR meal plan will not be enough to keep blood sugar in check – not with 11 servings of starch per day.

None of this “information” is outdated; it says “February 2011”

It certainly reveals where diabetes educators get much of their education they pass on to us – from study materials developed by drug companies.

Hmmm, if I wanted information concerning the need for drugs & insulin, I wouldn’t ask the manufacturer of drugs & insulin.

I searched through much of the literature for any encouraging information like: “Some type 2 diabetics are able to control their blood sugar without any medication or insulin by finding a diet & exercise regimen they can live with & sticking to it.” No dice.....not one word about that.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts