The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Gabapentin since last September for neuropathy. My doctor has switched my medication to Lyrica. You have to taper off of the Gabapentin before starting Lyrica. I am having withdrawal symptoms and I feel horrible. I wish that I would have been told that getting off of this medication could be difficult. I had no idea of what I was getting into. Be sure and ask questions before starting new medications. Live and learn!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Really??

I have been using Gabapentin since last September for neuropathy. My doctor has switched my medication to Lyrica. You have to taper off of the Gabapentin before starting Lyrica. I am having withdrawal symptoms and I feel horrible. I wish that I would have been told that getting off of this medication could be difficult. I had no idea of what I was getting into. Be sure and ask questions before starting new medications. Live and learn!
I was on gabapentin for several years 300mg twice a day and switched to Lyrica the same day it was recommended and samples were given to me. I experienced no side affects or complications

·
Registered
3 Posts
neuropathy treatment

I have neuropathy in my feet. Can you recommend any good shoes to wear in this condition? They have to be good walking shoes, either some type of sneaker or running shoes or the more formal leather shoes. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have neuropathy in my feet. Can you recommend any good shoes to wear in this condition? They have to be good walking shoes, either some type of sneaker or running shoes or the more formal leather shoes. Thanks in advance.
I get my shoes through my podiatrist. I get Dr. Comfort. If you have neuropathy, then maybe your insurance would help with the cost.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
My aversion to shoes is long and strong. Even after I found some that serve the purpose, it took me a year to start wearing them. In addition to this apparently natural aversion, I had broken my left big toe about 2½ years ago, and it was prob'ly 15 months before it healed completely and the nail grew back properly. So last year, knowing I absolutely HAD to find proper shoes (that isn't to say "dress" shoes), I listened to my better half and tried the brand he wears . . . Asics. The toe box is enormous, so my big toenails have no excuse to dig into my toes, and although they still aren't comfortable for me (anything on my feet is NEVER going to be comfortable for me), they don't hurt and they don't rub blisters or corns or calluses.

So I have to recommend Asics. I just wish they made a boot on this same last, because the last two weeks' weather has pointed up another serious vacancy in my shoe cabinet - snow boots! :eek:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I prefer confortable canvas sneakers, as they mould themselves to the feet and soft too. For heavier walking Reebok of some such sport shoes flood the markets. I am better off walking barefoot as my soles keep getting hot and start burning. Thats the reason I prefer cushioned flipflops so I can take them out without bending too many times. I have bigtime aversion to socks , wont wear them except in winters. Managing well till now, lets worry about future when it catches up with me..:)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I have a lot of feet problems and usually wear an orthodic and plantar fachitis arch strap. I like the New Balance shoes because you can buy them in wide to accomodate the orthodic. I also find ECCO makes a great shoe that supports my heel when I am walking great distances. I also have a pair of ECCO hiking boots that I use for long walks. I find a good place to buy shoes for specific foot conditions is Footsmart.com You can shop by the foot condition you have.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Did it help you? My doctor was suggesting it for my neuropathy, but later gave me Remylin. I said I didnt want any pregabalin as it makes me groggy next day too.:confused:

·
Registered
203 Posts
We Are ALL Different RE: Treatment!

Let me say that neuropathy has to be one of the most painful experiences I could have ever imagined. It has taken its toll on my body, and at its height of pain, it tired me out all the time. :eek:

With that said, in the beginning, I was placed on several drugs like Lyrica, however they did not help.

The y moved me to Gabapettin (2, 400mg per day). That didn't work either, so I have, over the last four years, cut back to 600mg per day of Gabapettin.

What I've been on for nine years now, is Morphine Sulfate, 30mg (extended release) twice a day, and for breakthrough pain, I have 15mg Morphine (fast acting).

I have reached my end of painful nerves, and been able to cut back to one 30mg Morphine a day, and I use the 15mg Morphine for breakthrough pain.

When the gabapentin and morphine don't touch the pain, or that crazy sensation for the need to itch my feet, I make good use of Zolstrik (a creme bought over the counter).

I did not believe my neurologist, years ago, when she told me that there would be a day, when my nerves would stop firing off, and my feet would be dead, so-to-speak.

Well thankfully I have reached that point. My feet feel like they have fallen asleep, and that is a strange sensation in itself to try to get used to.

I guess what I'm saying is, each of us will respond differently to the many different treatments available, still I think I can promise all of you that there seems to be coming a day, when those little buggers (the dying nerves) give up the ghost and leave us to be.

So hang in there. As for shoes, I wear a sandal like shoe, as it allows for more freedom for my toes to move around, and they don't feel as confining as covering my feet with the normal shoe.

Shalom,

Pastor Paul :amen:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I hope you keep checking your feet for injuries from time to time. It is required in such cases as you dont feel any sensation. I dont want to alarm you, but my father lost sensation in his feet because of the same loss of sensation and could not feel when a nail went into his loafers. Later while washing his feet he noticed a dark colored patch with blood on it and went to the doctor. Bye that time it was too late and his foot was amputed due to gangren above ankle. I am petrified of foot injuries, so I always wear thick, comfortable sports shoes while walking outside on the road. I hope you will be careful. I have just started to tingle on the hands and edges of my hands hve become rough. I will try for the cream you have mentioned. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks for the Advice

I hope you keep checking your feet for injuries from time to time. It is required in such cases as you dont feel any sensation. I dont want to alarm you, but my father lost sensation in his feet because of the same loss of sensation and could not feel when a nail went into his loafers. Later while washing his feet he noticed a dark colored patch with blood on it and went to the doctor. Bye that time it was too late and his foot was amputed due to gangren above ankle. I am petrified of foot injuries, so I always wear thick, comfortable sports shoes while walking outside on the road. I hope you will be careful. I have just started to tingle on the hands and edges of my hands hve become rough. I will try for the cream you have mentioned. Thanks for the advice.
Thanks for the advice. Actually, I check my feet daily, have a scheduled appointment with a podiatrist every 90 days, and my wife is my most loving critic. She continues to watch my feet too, and gets after me for stupid things, like going barefoot around the house.

Because of my dedication to exercising, my docs tell me that compared to the majority of diabetes with neuropathy, I have a strong blood flow and pressure in both feet.

I too am noticing tingling in the fingers, and that is not a good sign.

You take care, and it's so neat to be talking with someone in India. I love the cyber mail, as it makes this world a smaller place.

Pastor Paul

·
Registered
221 Posts
I totally agree that these days world is a really small place. This diabetic forum is really doing a good job by bringing people with common problems together. I have learnt a lot on net about diabetes, though I ws battling with the same since 20 yrs nearly.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did it help you? My doctor was suggesting it for my neuropathy, but later gave me Remylin. I said I didnt want any pregabalin as it makes me groggy next day too.:confused:
The Gabapentin has helped my feet but not so much in my left hand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts