The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I was coasting along pretty well with this hitchhiker called diabetes. I've been pretty consistent with my BGs and even though my A1c was up a little last time, I didn't expect any changes anytime soon. Well, that's what I get for thinking. For about a week, I have noticed some pin & needles feelings and slight numbness on the tops of my feet. There is no pain, but this is a new sensation for me. Is it possible that neuropathy is knocking at my door? Is this something I should call my doctor about now instead of waiting for 3 months?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I thought I was coasting along pretty well with this hitchhiker called diabetes. I've been pretty consistent with my BGs and even though my A1c was up a little last time, I didn't expect any changes anytime soon. Well, that's what I get for thinking. For about a week, I have noticed some pin & needles feelings and slight numbness on the tops of my feet. There is no pain, but this is a new sensation for me. Is it possible that neuropathy is knocking at my door? Is this something I should call my doctor about now instead of waiting for 3 months?
I only know that my neuropathy made my entire foot numb and tingling. I know that the pain seemed to be on the bottom of my feet. Don't wait 3 months to get this checked out, strike while the iron is hot. There are medications for neuropathy as well as a few topical lotions.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I suggest that you see a neurologist and have an EMG test. That will tell you if you have neuropathy. The neurologist can prescribe medications for the pain. I is up to you to keep a steady blood sugar control with as few highs as possible. that is what I had to do to eliminate my neuropathy symptoms.

·
Registered
930 Posts
in my humble opinion{some say arrogant} i think there is an uncalled for romantic notion that if your A1c is 6.0 % or lower all is well, but unknown to you your instantaneous blood sugar ( not average ) may be well above 200mg/dl and destroying your nerves and causing other damage with a high level of free radicals to your blood vessels during the time that they exist.

Alpha Lipoic Acid and extra Omega-3 may mitigate the damage instead of just covering it up like most medical remedies.

"Look ma, six weeks ago i could not even spell "printer" and now i are one" :wave:

... just saying ...

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you had not had these symptoms before besides being checked for neuropathy also have your vitamin B levels checked. It is becoming fairly common knowledge that metformin can deplete your Vitamin B 12 levels and if your B 12 levels are low that will cause neuropathy. Vice Versa if your B 6 levels are too high that also will bring on neuropathy so I would definitely add getting yoru B levels checked out as well.
By the way, Alpha Lipoic Acid is very good for treating neuropathy. Since my B 12 levels were low I also have added in 2,000 mcg of methylcobalimin (the active form of B-12)daily as well. I hope you are able to come to a solution for your problem. I know how annoying this hitchhiker is since I didn't even invite it along.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, many diabetic patients have been told that peculiar feelings in the feet such as tingling or numbness are suggestive of neuroapthy. While that is true, your best bet is to have a Podiatrist examine your foot. You may have something as simple as a pinched nerve in your foot that is easily treated.If you PCP never examines your foot find a good Podiatrist and get a foot exam.

Mark Hinkes, DPM

·
Registered
4 Posts
I suggest that you see a neurologist and have an EMG test. That will tell you if you have neuropathy. The neurologist can prescribe medications for the pain. I is up to you to keep a steady blood sugar control with as few highs as possible. that is what I had to do to eliminate my neuropathy symptoms.
Sorry but EMG testing is to diagnose tarsal tunnel syndrome and not diabetic sensory neuropathy. Monofilament tesing is the gold standard to diagnosing LOPS/DM sensory neuroapthy.

Mark Hinkes, DM

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello, many diabetic patients have been told that peculiar feelings in the feet such as tingling or numbness are suggestive of neuroapthy. While that is true, your best bet is to have a Podiatrist examine your foot. You may have something as simple as a pinched nerve in your foot that is easily treated.If you PCP never examines your foot find a good Podiatrist and get a foot exam.

Mark Hinkes, DPM
Doctor Hinkes, I see my PCP at least one time per month and sometimes more if necessary. I have neuropathy in my feet and was seeing a podiatrist and all I was doing was adding an additional doctor bill to pay. The podiatrist did start me on Gabapentin and now my PCP is prescribing that for me. What is the benefit of seeing a podiatrist in addition to your PCP?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Why?

Thanks for your comment...Podiatrists have special training and skills in treating the foot and some have specialized training in treating the diabetic foot. I'd like to suggest you call your local hospital, and the state and local podiatry associations and ask for a listing of board certified Podiatrists with skills in treating the diabetic foot.

Be sure to have your foot examined for a pinched nerve near the toes and have a monofilament test to determine if you have sensory neuropathy or loss of protective sensation. Good luck.

Mark Hinkes, DPM

Doctor Hinkes, I see my PCP at least one time per month and sometimes more if necessary. I have neuropathy in my feet and was seeing a podiatrist and all I was doing was adding an additional doctor bill to pay. The podiatrist did start me on Gabapentin and now my PCP is prescribing that for me. What is the benefit of seeing a podiatrist in addition to your PCP?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all who replied. Since the feeling is equal in both feet, I have my doubts that it's a pinched nerve. I have noticed a slight decrease in the tingling in the last few days (maybe wishful thinking?). I have been out of town for a family reunion but will call the doc for advice. Interesting about the B12, have been considering trying a supplement in addition to my multi-vitamin so I plan to try a fairly low dose to see what happens. If the doctor thinks that's a good avenue to follow, I'll give it a few weeks and if no change I'll be seeing him. Again, thanks for all the advice - I knew I could count on ya'll!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
An update: I started the sublingual B12 and it has made enough difference that I really don't have the tingly feeling anymore. It seems to have taken about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks for it to work, but the good news it that is does!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
An update: I started the sublingual B12 and it has made enough difference that I really don't have the tingly feeling anymore. It seems to have taken about 2 1/2 - 3 weeks for it to work, but the good news it that is does!
That is terrific . . . thanks for taking the time to come & give us the good news, Alura!

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is so interesting! I am newly diagnosed and had noticed some tingling and discomfort in my feet but also muscle pain in around my shoulder blade. I had started a B12 supplement without knowing any of this, and had totally changed my diet in the last month and have kept my BG under 140 almost all of the time. I have been out of town and had not taken my supplement for about 10 days. I was just noticing that my feet and shoulder were hurting again and wasn't sure why. Now I am wondering if it is the B12??? :confused:

That is terrific . . . thanks for taking the time to come & give us the good news, Alura!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While I surely can't give medical advice, B12 has worked for me. I haven't experienced any more shoulder pain than usual - I have touch of arthritis. You might consider starting the supplement again and give it a little time to work.....if it doesn't I suggest contacting your doctor. Is the BG of 140 2 hours after a meal? If so, that's really great!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thank you Richard for the info. I had a bad fall and fractured some of my facial bones. Until then, I did not have neuropathy. I was given bad advice by my doctor and family. They told me to rest until the fractures were healed.

I walked around some, but that was not enough. Now that my fractures have healed I have neuropathy big time. I can only walk or exercise for 15 minutes and then severe pain, numbness and tingling sets in.

After my Physical Therapy sessions, which were not started right away, I felt like my bones in my feet had broken. I can tell that my circulation is bad because of the blood at the bottom of my feet. The blood goes down but cannot go back up.

I do have a neurologist and I will ask him about the EMG test. Richard, did you go for more walks or exercise more? I do not want to be a couch or computer potato. I want to be able to do things.

Ruth

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi I've been reading the dialogues..I have a small doubt. Does neuropathy happen only in feet or hands and fingers also? if so I am feeling it, more in my right hand, outer edge of my hand and little finger and ring finger tingles and become numb sometimes in my sleep. I also have cervical spondilitis and wear a collar too sometimes and also do the exercises prescribed. I also had frozen shoulders for 2 years after a bad fall lfrom bike, and while climbing down the steps too. Shoulder problem is alright now but I do ger vertigo sometimes if do strenuous activity with my shoulders. I take Vertin-16 along with Stugeron for that...:confused:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts