The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,772 Posts
I thought I was coasting along pretty well with this hitchhiker called diabetes. I've been pretty consistent with my BGs and even though my A1c was up a little last time, I didn't expect any changes anytime soon. Well, that's what I get for thinking. For about a week, I have noticed some pin & needles feelings and slight numbness on the tops of my feet. There is no pain, but this is a new sensation for me. Is it possible that neuropathy is knocking at my door? Is this something I should call my doctor about now instead of waiting for 3 months?
I only know that my neuropathy made my entire foot numb and tingling. I know that the pain seemed to be on the bottom of my feet. Don't wait 3 months to get this checked out, strike while the iron is hot. There are medications for neuropathy as well as a few topical lotions.

· Registered
2,772 Posts
Hello, many diabetic patients have been told that peculiar feelings in the feet such as tingling or numbness are suggestive of neuroapthy. While that is true, your best bet is to have a Podiatrist examine your foot. You may have something as simple as a pinched nerve in your foot that is easily treated.If you PCP never examines your foot find a good Podiatrist and get a foot exam.

Mark Hinkes, DPM
Doctor Hinkes, I see my PCP at least one time per month and sometimes more if necessary. I have neuropathy in my feet and was seeing a podiatrist and all I was doing was adding an additional doctor bill to pay. The podiatrist did start me on Gabapentin and now my PCP is prescribing that for me. What is the benefit of seeing a podiatrist in addition to your PCP?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.