Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

Neuropathy

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  VeeJay 
#1 ·
Hi, I am a 30 year old female that has been a diabetic (juvenile) for about 25 years. I recently went to my doctor for a general visit and they decided to do a nerve test (my first one). The results were I had mild neuropathy (I don't have any pain b)my doc did not make a big deal about it (one of the reason I think that he didn't make a big deal is that my hemoglobin a1c is always under 6). He just said it is common for someone who had diabetes for so long to have mild neuropathy. What is your take on it? Does anyone have diabetes for that long and not have neuropathy? Is it common/normal? Please help me give me advice this really really bothers me..

#2 ·
Hi Laya,

Welcome to the Forum. I'll let the other very experienced Type 1 and Type 2s answer this question, but I wanted to know that though your HbA1c has always been below 6 how stable have your blood sugars been (in terms of variations lows and highs) ?

I ask this because I've read again and again that by very tightly controlling the deviation from the average a lot of these issues can be reversed..

There are many long term T1s here who should be coming online soon...

Tony

#4 ·
My experience with Diabetes is extremely limited but yes several people here have stated that strong control (tighter) can help stall the progression and even reverse the effects. Dr Bernstein who has had 65 years of T1 diabetes also says the same in his book (Which I think you should get a copy of)

A tight control would ideally mean a HbA1c of significantly below 6 but more importantly no wild swings. Never over 140, lower then better. No Hypos either.

T1 is a different disease to what I have (T2) and I may not fully appreciate the differences and difficulties in maintaining that kind of control but essentially that's the idea

Tony

#5 ·
Are you already counting carbs and limiting them ? I am sure you would be

But If not that can be an efficient approach of reducing your insulin requirements. Less carbs can also mean lesser spikes and less insulin means low chances of severe hypos. Its called the "Law of small numbers"

#6 ·
Neuropathy is a common symptom of diabetes. Your own extent would depend on how well you have been able to manage D over the years. You mention that your A1c is always under 6.0, but whether that was also the case while you were a child. Whether neuropathy can be reversed is debatable. I would think that the extent of damage & how long it has been there would be the underlying factors.

#7 ·
I got diagnosed with polyneurophati a month ago. I have lots of pain.
I have had diabetes type 1 for about 15 months. My ac1 was 12,6 when they discovered the diabetes, but I got it quickly down to about 6 (some 5,9 and some 6,1)
I live LCHF and has done that since march.
The neurolog who diagnosed me with polyneurophati said that psoriasis, low in d-vitamine, diabetes and hypothyrodism all can give you polyneurophati, and since I have all those diseases I would have to be extreme lucky if I didn`t got polyneurophati even if I controlled my BG as good as possible.
The polyneurophati will never go away not matter what I do, but I can make it develop a little bit slower by taking good care og myself.

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies, I actually have psoriasis, low in d-vitamin, diabetes, alopecia too. Recently I have been doing research on lchf diet...sounds like it could effect your cholesterol does anyone see that? My doctor mentioned to me to try alpha lipoic acid too..

#9 ·
lchf diet...sounds like it could effect your cholesterol does anyone see that?
Yes, my numbers are much better, and presumably still improving. My HDL is up, triglycerides down - just waiting for my LDL to fall (which is the last to fall in line.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.