The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Im very new to the whole let's share my diabetes thing! Never even considered looking online fir support. I joined twitter a few months ago and that's slowly opened my eyes to all the other people who feel the same as I do about diabetes!
I'm 25 years old. Iv had diabetes for 15 years. Bad control through teenage years but got it together over the past few years. Plodding along nicely with it all until I decided to start a family. Got hba1c to 6.8% all was good then my eyes began to fail me! Iv spent the last year having numerous laser treatments to both eyes. I am currently recovering from vitrectomy surgery to the left eye and waiting to see if that works and if the right eye will settle on it's own.
It has been a hard 12 months for me. Children r all iv ever wanted and diabetes is stopping me from having that.
Tired if feeling alone so looking for support, education and to know that other people have a crappy time too!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Chappers, welcome to DF. I have had a lot of eye repairs this year too, and I hope yours heal well so you can get on with TTC.

You are definitely NOT alone - there is good support here. These are the best friends of all - they understand what we're talking about of things diabetic!

·
Registered
165 Posts
howdy chappers. sorry for your troubles but you're not alone

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hi chappers, welcome! The bad control during your teen years has probably resulted in your eye problems. The best thing you can possibly di is to tighten your control and lower your A1c even more. My A1c has been below 6.0 for many years. I have been type 1 for 65 years and my eyes have no problems.

You should do everything you can to improve your control. Do you use carb counting to determine your premeal insulin dosages? What insulins do you use? What is your insulin:carb ratio? Do you know your insulin sensitivity level needed to correct high blood sugar? If you are not familiar with these terms, you should purchase the book"Using Insulin" by John Walsh.

With good control you will minimize the likelihood of diabetes complications. You may be able to improve your eye problem too. Good luck during the months ahead!

Richard

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome:

Sorry to hear about your eye problems, hope it works out ok.

There's great support, advice and info here from some people who know their stuff and have done wonders with their numbers! This is the best forum I've ever invested my time in!

G

·
welcome Chappers :) glad you've joined. Like you I had never done the forum thing either... only joined late last year and I reckon I'm now a post addict. hehe. I like reading everyones experiences and advice. It's all so interesting how there are different views about things too. But most importantly I really appreciate being in a virtual space where people have a clue about at least some of what I may be experiencing. I'm sorry to hear about your eye troubles... I hope they heal up quick. I also hope you get the chance to have kids you want. I was diagnosed as 25yo myself... but it's been quite a journey and in the past 4 years I've struggled with my health. I'm still struggling on that front and I've been extremely frustrated and irritable at times. Coming here and just sharing has helped. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone! It's so comforting to know others have the same struggles as me! Always just assumed I was rubbish at it bcos I had to work so hard to deal with it.

Thanks for the advice Richard. Its hopeful to know that ur healthy after 60+ years of dealing with it. My control is pretty great apart from a few off days when giving up seems easier. I do carb count with ratio of 2-10 for breakfast and dinner and 1-10 for lunch. I use 1-3 for correction doses. I am getting fitted with a pump on the 25th feb to help tighten control even more! So fingers crossed.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
:yo: Chappers and :welcome: to the forum! I am sorry that it took me this long to welcome you. Last week wasn't a very good week for me. I hope you will feel comfortable here. Ask anything that you want! You have had this disease longer than myself so you must be knowledgeable about T1 diabetes. I am sorry about your eyes. I just had cataract surgery last May. I am hoping that my eye problems have stopped. I was having to get new glasses every time I turned around and that was expensive, my eye surgeries and doctor visits (pre & post op) eye drops cost about $13,000. My insurance paid for most of it, I think I ended up paying around $700 out of my pocket. I hope you like the forum scene, there is so much hands on knowledge here. Visit often and take care!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I am sorry for your bad times. It is so hard when we don't feel well. I am glad you are here. There are many different kinds of support.
Some give you diabetes control advice.
For me the support I want is to have someone to listen and just let me speak.
If you need a hug, that's me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow $700!! The nhs has it's problems but I am so grateful that I don't have to stress about costs! Dread to think the bills I would of racked up!!
Thanks for all the advice guys. Looking forward to seein wat I can learn from this site.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts