The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, All

Well I feared this day would come and now here it is. Diabetes runs on my mothers side of the family and I was hoping I wouldn't get it. But on my last physical I was told my bgl was 273 and my a1c was 11.1. The only good news is I am still producing insulin but it's high 6.1. The Doc has put me on meds and I'm trying to modify what I eat but it still been ranging about 150. Well that's about all. I think how ever if I hear one more person tell me to diet and excercise. I'm going to :boink:.
:D

Reactions: Dura

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Well, you do know you need to ... :X <don't hit>

Sorry you got the unlucky stick, but honestly if I had been diagnosed with diabetes years ago I'd be a lot healthier today I'm sure. Diabetes forces me to put my health in the foreground in a new way, and that's a good thing. Okay, so maybe you need a little more time to count your blessings :)

Welcome to the forum, and don't forget you need to ... <fleeing>

Reactions: d33na and Dura

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good thing I'm old enough to remember "duck n cover" from the 50s civil defense training! heehee. Now if I could only move as fast as I did in those elementary school days. :D

I know it gets boring when the same advice is repeated ad infinitum, but that's only because it works so well. Even for people using insulin, managing gets a major assist from a little exercise & dietary modification.

But I'm willing to admit that my exercise consists of preparing our meals & climbing the stairs to go to bed. I DO low-carb though, and pretty strongly (under 50g per day). We just have to use our meters well to determine which foods we can eat safely & avoid the ones that raise our blood sugar too high (over 140 (7.7).

Which meds are you taking, TA? And what changes have you already made in your diet? Just hoping to avoid covering ground you've already covered! ;)

Take care & thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcomt to the forum. It sounds like you are insulin resistant. What that means is when you eat carbs your body responds by overproducing insulin. Your diabetic body doesn't recognise all that insulin, so your bgs stay high. Lots of newly dx'd D's have a roller coaster of high and low bgs because of this. The trick is to even out your bgs. This takes lots of trial and error and sometimes medication. Use your meter 2 hours after meals to see how your body reacts to different foods. Pretty soon you will be able to tell what foods spike you and which ones do not. In general with people who are insulin resistant almost all carbs spike us , even the healthy ones. So try to figure out how many carbs you can eat safely without spiking. It will be different for everyone. Also you may find adding fat at meals helps even out your bgs keeping your numbers lower. So it is finding a good balance of fat, protein, low carbs , medication and exercise. It took me several years and several metformin increases before I saw bgs in the 100 and below range.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the first thing I did was cut out all soda's diet or otherwise. I not only drink water or unsweetened tea. Stopped eating sweets and candy. I started a new diet yesterday called the Carbohydrates Addicts Diet. I've been on this before and lost 50lbs. Which is what I need to do again to get my blood sugar back in order. I did hit an all time low on my bgl yesterday before dinner of 108. After dinner it was 159 and when I woke up this morning it was 172:confused:. I didn't eat anything after dinner so I don't know what that's about. After breakfast it was 169. Really seems crazy. My doctor has me on 500mg of Metformin twice a day and a beta blocker to protect my kidneys. I guess it's progress from the 273 I was. I think this is the most confusing stuff since it all seems to be guess work. I was in the grocery last night and my step-son had to stop me from getting a case of Krispy Kream apple pies. I'm going to miss those things.:(

It's 2011 shouldn't we have a cure for all of this by now! First no flying cars now this. :mad:

Reactions: Carolina

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
It took a while for my blood sugar to settle down, but also an overhaul in my diet and 2000 mg metformin got results.

Congrats on your weight loss before - you can do it again! I don't know much about the Carbohydrate Addict's diet, but did a quick look and it seems it allows one 'cheat' meal/day when you can eat significant carbs. If that's true, that part might be okay for a weight-loss pgm, but it isn't good for a diabetic. Keeping a close eye on your blood sugar and what that sort of meal does to it will be revealing.

My approach at dx was to go as cold turkey as possible by slashing most all carbs. My thinking was to get my bs down as low as I could get it, then be free to reintroduce some carbs. What happened was that my bs never went down enough to be able to add many carbs back, but that's okay cuz in the process I found I can live without them. Freedom!

I was definitely a carb addict, but cutting out carbs does control it and I no longer see those pastries in the grocery store. In time, that will happen for you also once you break the addiction.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
moon,

You under the impression I WANT to break the addiction. I'm just trying to get my pie's back. I know some people eat to live, but I live to eat. Take that away and what's left?:D

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
LOL - sorry :)

Okay - I made a great lemon cheesecake that passes the taste test of non-diabetics - does that help? It's a pie ... !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL - sorry :)

Okay - I made a great lemon cheesecake that passes the taste test of non-diabetics - does that help? It's a pie ... !
Actually that sounds pretty awesome! I love cheesecake!:D

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
And the fudge I made last weekend was a very successful experiment! Life's not over...honest *****! See our recipe section....it's great for sweets.

By the way, Welcome!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here you go -

It's my favorite work-around dessert thus far in this journey cuz it doesn't even taste like a work-around. There's a Hungarian expression that translated is "It tastes like more."

Tonight I'm going to dinner at friends and said I'd bring dessert - this is what I'm taking.
Are you sure that we are allowed to have this? I was told you can't have any type of sweeteners. That the body doesn't know the difference between sugar and artificial sweeteners and will treat both the same if not the artificial sweeteners would spike bgl even higher since they are even sweeter than sugar? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Some people use no artificial sweeteners. I'm not one of those. I think they're travelling the better road; I move along a more imperfect one.

Erythritol doesn't spike me, and I make it with mostly that and a few drops of liquid Splenda. I even had a piece for breakfast one morning without incident.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I guess it's just something else I'll have to try and see what happens.. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
322 Posts
that is the fun part of eating to your meter. you can try about anything, well atleast once. if it spikes your sugar then you stay away, but every once in a while you find those special little treats, its almost like christmas.

Reactions: Patdart

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the bgl have been hovering between 108 to 172 so far. I've added 1000mg of Milk Thistle and 355mg of Omega 3 so well see what that does to it..

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Keep in mind that supplements can't cover carb intake, so if you're still following the carbohydrate addicts diet & eating a reward meal every day of anything you want, you could be shooting yourself in the foot. I use fish oil & milk thistle too, when I can get it, but I also eat less than 50g of carb per day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keep in mind that supplements can't cover carb intake, so if you're still following the carbohydrate addicts diet & eating a reward meal every day of anything you want, you could be shooting yourself in the foot. I use fish oil & milk thistle too, when I can get it, but I also eat less than 50g of carb per day.
Shanny,

Well I am still limiting my carb intake even on reward meals so far my bsg have dropped into the 108-170 range. I try not to shoot myself in the foot. I'm trying to save my feet. My step-son keep telling me you can't eat that it will make your foot fall off.. He is so helpful. This usually followed by "Hey want a twinkie" as he eats one in front of me.. I think I'm going to have to :boink: him.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 18 of 18 Posts