The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for my checkup a few weeks ago and my A1C was 6.1:cheer2:
In July it was 10.1.
My weight is down and my cholesterol numbers looked better! The doctor said if my January appointment is good he may reduce my meds. He even cautioned me about what a "low" would feel like.

My mom fell right after that and spent 3 weeks in hospital and rehab, and I did pretty good with that. I think the stress kept my numbers up a little higher than they would have been, but still I feel good about staying in control when I would normally be out of control:D

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
That's fantastic! Way to go!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congrats, etherea! Thanks for sharing. Helps to keep me motivated to get similar results Thursday when I see the doc. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Good work! You had mentioned your mom in another thread & I'm glad to see a little more detail. I hope she's recovering well & your stress level is dropping.

You've done so well - more power to you! Hugs to both you & your mom.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL, the doctor said that the holidays coming up would be hard for me. I said no way! I have too many people in my life to be examples for me to even think about indulging in the foodfest of the holidays. My mom wasn't diagnosed with diabetes until she was about 70, but was told she was "borderline" in her late 30s. She has stroke related dementia and balance problems. I have a brother in law that is a double amputee, stroke and heart attack survivor. His diabetes is related to Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam. And a friend is losing his eyesight--he told me he wished he had taken better care of himself when he found out he was diabetic.
Nothing tastes as good as having your mind, limbs and eyesight! I don't ever want to say "I wish I had".
I'm so glad I found y'all. My family gets tired of hearing me talk about diabetes.

·
Registered
741 Posts
fab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Very Nice!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, new results are in. My A1C went down .1 to an even 6. No changes in meds this time around.
I'm trying for the 5% club next time around! Due to go back in May.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good for you! Head on down...I'll cross my fingers for you seeing a 5. soon! Isn't it a good feeling for #'s to pay off for your hard work?
Thanks! It does feel good. This is the first time in my life that I have changed my lifestyle for health reasons. It makes it so much easier to work toward being healthy than to work toward being a certain size or weight! Diabetes has been good for me :D

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I'm one of the high glycators too. After the initial drop the last few decimals dropped very slowly. My numbers and A1c didn't quite tally.

Well done & congrats.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Etherea....I'm so happy for you! That is such great news! It is a truly exciting feeling when you get those results back (after biting your fingernails) and they show such great results! I love when the doctors walk in with big grins on their faces too! Happy dance for you!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Wow - this SO says it all! Maybe we need this tattooed on our foreheads! :D :D :D
Well, I don't know that I would go so far as to have it tattooed on my forehead Shanny, but I would tattoo it in a different spot...like my limbs...because they are there! :D

Reactions: stormie and etherea

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm so glad I found y'all. My family gets tired of hearing me talk about diabetes.[/QUOTE]

same problem with me , ,y family gets tired of hering me or talking anout diebets:hug:

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the encouraging words! And thanks for all the great info I've gotten here--If I hadn't found this forum I would still be eating the standard ADA diet with hundreds of carbs every day:eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts