The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently started getting symptoms of diabetes and scheduled an appointment which is still a week away.

I have dry mouth, and just wondering how can I alleviate this discomfort until I see the doctor.

I have been testing my blood sugar level and in the mornings its at about 300.

I urinate about every 10-15 minutes, I have lost my appetite and my vision is now blurred.

I am worried, I am only 31 and just had my first child 7 months ago. I want to fight this thing and beat it, but I don't know where to start.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Welcome to the forum. In your place I would:

1. Eliminate carbs except from non-starchy vegetables. This includes no rice, potatoes, grains, cereals, fruit, bread, oatmeal, milk
2. Eat only meat, fish, non-starchy vegetables, full-fat cheese, eggs, cream, nuts (and check out our recipe section for ideas)
3. Read labels and count carbohydrates, eating no more than 50/day, even fewer is better, esp as you try to get your numbers down.
4. Call the doc's office and ask to be seen sooner (give them your numbers) and at a minimum notified of any cancellation so to get in earlier if possible

Cutting the carbohydrates will have an immediate impact on your blood sugar and you'll start to feel better. You have some high numbers going on and need to bring them down ASAP. Have you tested an hour after eating?

You do need to grab control, but it's manageable. My numbers were quite high at dx, so I know about needing to bring numbers down quickly. You can do it. Hang on tightly - except to the carbs, you need to let those go :)

A great place to do some reading is http://bloodsugar101.com/

Welcome to the forum - glad you're here. And congrats on your first child!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Moon gave you some great advice. Defintely go to Blood Sugar 101. It gives you a lot of basic info about diabetes. The basic fact is that bgs go high when our pancreas cannot process carbs correctly. Many of us manage our diabetes by cutting out most carbs. That means bread, flour, crackers, milk, fruit, pasta and rice. Even things like healthy cereal like oatmeal can be a problem for a diabetic. I would suggest you cut carbs as much as you can until your appointment. Try to concentrate on protein and fat and veggies. As far as the dry mouth there is some special mouthwashes. I think it is called Biotene. It helps correct the dry mouth temporarily. But the best thing to alleviate your symptoms is to get bgs back closer to 100.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You have already been given some great advice so I will just let you digest that and welcome you to the forum!! We are gald you're here. This is a great place to start your diajourney. I trust you will find us welcoming and encouraging. Please ask as many questions as you like. Search through the forums for any info you might need.

Good luck and you can control this thing. It is not the end of the world.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone, all the information has been very helpful.

I really don't know where to start so I actually thought eating fruits and drinking milk would help. Which I have been doing for the past 2 days.

Now I know a little bit more.

I usually hate the doctor, but for some reason I am pretty excited.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Thank you everyone, all the information has been very helpful.

I really don't know where to start so I actually thought eating fruits and drinking milk would help. Which I have been doing for the past 2 days.

Now I know a little bit more.

I usually hate the doctor, but for some reason I am pretty excited.
Keep us posted on how things are going & be sure to get copies of your test results when you see the doctor. There's sure no shame in reaching for what we've always been taught are healthy foods - fruit & milk would prob'ly top that list. But for diabetics, everything turns upsidedown. Both milk & fruit are high in carbs, so grab onto the meat, cheese & eggs instead. Your meter will thank you! :)p except that you prob'ly don't have a meter yet . . . be sure to get one if your doc doesn't give you a freebie).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any thoughts on coco water?

My friend told me to drink that since its all natural, it should help.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
It's all about the carbs right now - and coconut water usually has carbs. Look at the label, that should be your guide. It's important to be militant about your carbs right now to bring your numbers down.

The reason you're so thirsty is that your body is trying to get rid of the excess glucose. As soon as you get your blood sugar down, your body will stop torturing you and your thirst will abate.

Don't be concerned about your vision. Once it goes blurry from high blood glucose, it can take a while to normalize. Mine was wonky (got worse before it got better) for a few weeks and didn't get back to normal for 6 weeks or so. It's usually shorter than that though.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've never tried it, but just being all natural doesn't necessarily help with diabetes, and it depends on how much you're going to drink.

From what I've found searching, it appears that coco water is about 45 calories per cupful (8 oz/240g) with about 10g of carb. Prob'ly also depends on the brand you choose, but for my way-of-eating, that's pretty high carb.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I heard about the Coconut Water too and read the label, it was quite carby. But Coconut Oil or canned unsweetened coconut milk is good. It is a good type of fat. If you look through our recipe forum you will find lots of ways to use Coconut Oil. I would avoid the fruit and the milk for now they are both fairly carby. Start to read labels. Many of us have small paperback carb counting books that give us the carb level for everything.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi Welcome to the forum.

You have great advice from the group, but just wanted to add that in most likelihood these symptoms will disappear after a few days/weeks of normal BGs, which are very easy to achieve

Tony

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Hi and welcome!

I too had the vision problems, but backwards. Mine got better while I was in the hospital. It took a couple weeks for my vision to go back to normal. There are days where I wish it stayed because I didn't need my glasses. After doing my own research I found that when your BGs stay over 200 for some time vision issues may result. Not to worry, once you bring your numbers back under control these go away.

Never be afraid to ask anyone, be they doctor or forum member, anything. You will only be able to manage as well as your knowledge. And remember this one important tip:

Opinions are like farts. Everyone does them and they all stink! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts