The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi - I am 39, semi pro tennis player, living in Israel, just got diagnosed with D2. No family history. Spent Saturday night in hospital, with a 475 count, now home and stable around 100-150, very new to this and learning fast!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Yeah, it's a jolt that puts us in speed-learning mode for sure! Your numbers have come down quickly, and still will - are you on oral meds? Insulin? Diet control?

What symptoms took you to the hospital? For me it was barely being able to walk after not keeping food down for 10 days. I kept thinking "this is some powerful stomach flu!" and had to be kicked in the backside to get help.

Welcome to the forum, glad you found us.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hi - I am 39, semi pro tennis player, living in Israel, just got diagnosed with D2. No family history. Spent Saturday night in hospital, with a 475 count, now home and stable around 100-150, very new to this and learning fast!!!
Sounds rather similar to my experience - I'm a bit older than you - but this time last year my wife finally got me to go to casualty where they stuck me on an insulin pump for three days - I started at 400 and an HbA1c of 8.2%.

Like you, I was shocked but within a few weeks of getting home, the blood sugars dropped (with careful attention to diet) into the 80s and by the beginning of November, I was able to do without any medication at all.

Good site to start exploring is Blood Sugar 101. Jenny covers the ground pretty well and offers some very helpful advice.

Welcome to the forum, you'll also find lots of advice here.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!
I travel all the time for work, got home from a week in China and woke up t go to the bathroom. whilst I was taking a "piss" (excuse the language) I had terrible lower back ache. This continued on and off and is really strange for me. I went to the emergency room, and as a regular test they did blood work....boom! This all happened as I said Saturday!
Today was ok.... Until i wanted a snack....had a diet yogurt and I am now on 209!!!!! So aggravating

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forums. It is a shock to some. I pretty much had myself diagnosed when I went to the doctor but was in denial. I hope you come back often. There are a ton of wonderful people here and you can get great advice, support and encouragement. Or, if you need a place to vent, this is it!

Hope to see you around often. I visited Israel in 2007 and loved it. I would love to come back for another visit.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. A lot of us were totally shocked with our diagnosis. Many of us were very active, not overweight and ate so called healthy diets. The important thing to remember is eating carbs causes our bgs to rise. Carbs are in everything including healthy foods like fruit, milk, yogurt and wheat products. So you will figure out how many carbs you can handle at one meal and return to 120-140 within 2 hours. This takes a lot of trial and error to find out what foods are kind to your bg. Many of us find alternatives to the things that spike us. Check out our recipe section, we have fantastic cooks, here.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Welcome! Getting diagnosed can defintiely be a shocker.. The important thing is to control your diabetes and not let it control you..

I hope you come back often.. There are alot of wonderful people here who have a welath of information and advice

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Welcome and your diagnosis sounds like mine. Except I was ketoacidotic. Were you tested for ketones?

You might want to look at GAD-65 antibody testing to rule out slow-onset Type 1, considering your description of your health. You are on basal insulin (Levemir or Lantus?), and that should help a lot. If you are on a sulfonylurea oral drug, however, it can hasten beta cell demise so it might be good to find something else once you are under good control.

But ... I am jumping on that, you are still in shock. I knew 3 days before seeing my doc, b/c my husband had a meter. And it STILL was a horrible shock at the doctor's office -- I kept waiting for everyone to tell me there was am istake, but, 2.5 yrs later, nobody has.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I second this recommendation. The emergency room doctor as well as my primary care doc diagnosed me with T2. I'm not sure how they came to that conclusion, my weight was good, and my glucose levels normal for the past 10 years of annual testing. I presented in the emergency room with glucose at 650mg/dl and A1C 12.5. I suppose it was because I'm 33 and the prevalence of the juvenile diabetes phrase. Only after I went in to see an endocrinologist(a week later) was I appropriately diagnosed T1 and placed on insulin. Get antibody testing, I had to ask for it. I was overwhelmed, but just three months in now, things are going a lot more smoothly.

Welcome and your diagnosis sounds like mine. Except I was ketoacidotic. Were you tested for ketones?

You might want to look at GAD-65 antibody testing to rule out slow-onset Type 1, considering your description of your health. You are on basal insulin (Levemir or Lantus?), and that should help a lot. If you are on a sulfonylurea oral drug, however, it can hasten beta cell demise so it might be good to find something else once you are under good control.

But ... I am jumping on that, you are still in shock. I knew 3 days before seeing my doc, b/c my husband had a meter. And it STILL was a horrible shock at the doctor's office -- I kept waiting for everyone to tell me there was am istake, but, 2.5 yrs later, nobody has.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts