The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to this forum. I was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. When my doctor was explaining it over the phone to me I was in another world when she said I had Type 2 diabetes; I didn't understand or hear anything she said after that. I go my monitor and strips, I don't know how often I am suppose to check or what I am looking at. I guess I need to contact her and have her explain all that I need to know...huh? I am 52, over weight, cholesterol and tryglycerites are high, my thyroid is good and so is my blood pressure; I am on meds for all.
What do I need to do besides the normal of exercising, of which, I don't have energy to get started, eat right, I am trying that and ......? I have been walking more and riding my bike, but I live in Florida which makes me miserable being outside in the heat and humidity. I don't smoke.... :eek:) My father was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, it runs on my fathers side of the family, but none of my siblings have it yet...I guess they need to worry too?
I am looking on line to find a good site for recipes, nothing too difficult to make, as I was a meat and potatos type of person. Is Italian and Chinese good for you?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Newly diagnosed & doing fairly well

I knew I was prediabetic, but wasn't concerned. I figured if I ever became diabetic, I'd lose some weight, eat better and it would go away. I had no idea what diabetes really was. When I was diagnosed (Feb '09) and realized what it meant, I was in shock and VERY scared. I immediately met with a nutritionist, got my meter and I listened (as best as I could). I wanted to see if I could do it without medication.

I work in a large warehouse, so I started taking breaks from my desk and just ran up and down the steps a few times. Each time, it would drop my sugar immediately somewhere between 25-50 points. This single act made the biggest difference in my numbers.

I also have high cholesterol, but my blood pressure is fine. I am overweight, but I've already lost over 20 pounds. My first A1C was 7.4. After 4 months of hard work, my second A1C dropped to 5.6!! It's in the range of a non-diabetic. I have spikes which remind me that I have to keep working to keep it there.

My triglycerides went up, which is good. But my bad cholesterol didn't drop much. We'll see how much I can bring that down. Still not on meds.

Diabetes has changed my life. At times it feels like an anchor that I can't shake. But honestly, for me it may be one of the best things that could've happened to me. It has put me on a much healthier path. I wish I could've gotten on that path another way, but I didn't. Diabetes is my wake-up call. I just pray I can stay on this path. I feel better. I have more energy. If I can encourage anyone that they can do it, I'd like to be able to do that. I know I'll need encouragement to stay on that path as well. I was a junk food junkie. It can be done.

I also take supplements and pray for the strength to change and also prayers of thanks when I'm doing well. I wish the best for all of you who are seeking answers. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. I wrote my intro and I think I accidentally posted to your comment instead. :) But I did want to respond to you. Below is a list of some things that have worked for me. Also, weight watchers works for some people - especially if you stick to the "core plan".

For me the two main resources that helped me were a nutritionist and the internet. I read alot on the internet about diabetes. I'll google "fruit good for diabetes" and try to keep those particular fruits around. (i.e. cherries). I try to keep all kinds of healthy foods around the house so that when I'm hungry there's something quick and easy to cook. I've also done some research on supplements.

As for exercise, running up and down the stairs a few times really does it for me. You could take your sugar before and after to see if it helps you. Everybody is different. I don't do it for 20 minutes. I do it until I'm out of breath. Stamina will come.

I often marinate chicken in season salt, vinegar and lemon. Then I fry it in olive oil or bake. I make whole wheat pasta with it and then some spinach with dressing or some type of vegetable. My nutritionist said that the rule of thumb is that the plate should be 1/4 meat (size of deck of cards), 1/4 starch and 1/2 vegetables.

For lunch, I often eat a veggie flatbread at subway. This doesn't work for everybody because of the flatbread.

I don't have a link for recipes right now. I'm starting out with quick and simple meals. I did purchase a diabetic cookbook on Amazon. Haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found out that my A1C # is 6.8 and the norm is 4.0 to 6.0 which puts me in the diabetes stage but a very controllable stage, of which I am working on. I have been walking every morning and riding my bike each night right after my dinner. I have to go to a book store and purchase a book on recipes; I am having a hard time figuring out what it is I can cook for myself. Thank you for your response.

·
Registered
7 Posts
nutritionist

If you haven't met with a nutritionist yet, for me that is what helped me know how to cook for myself. First I had to know how many carbs I should have. Then I was able to start working on menus that were within my carbs and didn't push my sugar up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, is it all about carbs? Is that what creates sugar? All I have to do is watch my carb intake? And, exercise too, right? Yes, I do need to talk to an nutritionist because I am going about nuts right now....., I have slowed way down on anything that is a pasta, bread and brought out my scale to weight in my meats/poultry and eating more fruitand fresh veggies. Plus, I am out there walking and riding....darn this isn't easy! LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts