The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am 31 yrs old and was diagnosed with type 2 a few days ago. My brain is on overload and i am having a hard time coming to terms with my diagnosis. I guess i never thought i would be diabetic at this age. My fear of dying soon and leaving my child without a mother just breaks my heart. I am hoping to take this fear and change it to determination to change my lifestyle and hopefully live a LONG healthier life.
Now, to my numbers.........my glucose numbers at my gl tolerance test where 126 fasting, and 280 at the 2 hour mark. My A1c (sp) came back today and it was a 7.1. I have been checking my bg levels for about a week now and after cutting out carbs almost completely and watching my portions, my bg's have been slowly hitting between 80 to 125 being my highest reading. I am suppose to go back and see my dr in a couple of weeks so she can see my bg readings and see if she will put me on any meds (which i am hoping to avoid if at all possible for as long as i can, scared to take them due to the negative side effects they can potentially have in the long run from what i have read).
Anyways, thats a quick summary of where i am starting at. I look forward to hearing from u guys and dive into the enormous amount of helpful info i have seen on this forum. Any tips and words of encouragement are welcomed lol :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I know it's overwhelming to hear we have a new health consideration, but the first thing I want to tell you is: people live long lives with diabetes, there is no reason you won't outlive your parents if you take care of yourself. Well, if they live to be 110 maybe not, but ...

You've gotten your blood sugar down and are controlling it - congratuations! The fact you have hit it so responsibly says you're taking it seriously, now you need to stop worrying. Since you've poked around the forum, you've probably seen Blood Sugar 101 recommended. It's a great site, worthy of devouring.

Please don't be afraid of medication. If you can keep your numbers in excellent range without it thats great. But I can tell you that I would rather take medication and have my numbers in lower range, than not take it and be in a range that is 'good enough for diabetics.'

Metformin is a good drug that does not stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin, and does help with insulin sensitivity. So it can end up helping preserve your pancreas rather than the other way around. You'll see how your numbers go. Some people start off on a med, then might be able to drop it after they have tight control, it all depends on the degree of insulin resistance one has, and on one's insulin production.

You're definitely diabetic, but your numbers were not in the statosphere like some people's at diagnosis, and for that you can be grateful.

Something tells me you're going to be just fine :)

Welcome to this great place.

Reactions: Wink

·
Registered
716 Posts
Welcome and I also think you will be just fine. Looking at your low number of 80 you maybe just fine controlling it with exercise and diet. It's definitely an adjustment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moon, thank you for responding to my post. You have no idea how much i appreciate it. I know its not the "end of the world" , but it sure feels like it at times. I am trying to find a balance with my new situation, my home, work, hubby, and son. It just seems like its too much for me to handle. I will say that my biggest problem is figuring out what the heck to cook for dinner lol!!! I dont want to deprive my family from carbs and sweets, but i do want to start feeding them healthier food to avoid health problems for them in the future. I do have a weight problem so i am sure that doesn't help things. I have about 80 pounds to lose to get back to my "pre wedding day" size. (I have already lost 20 pounds in about a month). I am proud of myself since i have always tried to lose weight in the past and failed miserably. Sad to see that it took this to give me a wake up call and get it done.
On my bg readings, i am a little confused, are they decent, too high or what? I keep reading too many different things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HardBackStrider said:
Welcome and I also think you will be just fine. Looking at your low number of 80 you maybe just fine controlling it with exercise and diet. It's definitely an adjustment.
Thanks.......i look forward to reading posts and eventually contributing to the site once i know what i am talking about lol.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Welcome! You can relax a bit.. you've got the carb thing under control and that's the way to go. The first month or so after diagnosis is the hardest - information overload, fears, high emotions... but it doesn't take too long until it is just part of your life not the focus of life.

All you have to do is listen to Moon's excellent advice.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I know its not the "end of the world" , but it sure feels like it at times. .... I will say that my biggest problem is figuring out what the heck to cook for dinner lol!!!
It's a shock and can take time to absorb. Like you (and I was only diagnosed this Feb) my biggest question was: what the heck do I eat?

The diet thing is very hard at first, the steepest learning curve ever. You already have a fix on cutting carbs, and have been doing a great job based on how you've brought your numbers down. Now we just have to talk recipes :)

I dont want to deprive my family from carbs and sweets, but i do want to start feeding them healthier food to avoid health problems for them in the future.
First, we need to get out of the mindset that eating in an unhealthy way is deprivation. All that sugar isn't good for anyone. If we hadn't overloaded our diets with carbs and processed foods, diabetes might not've had the opportunity to flourish. It's early yet, but you'll see the adaptations we've made, and the great food we can now eat with (near) abandon that we felt guilty about eating before: full-fat cheese, sour cream, butter, healthy oils, cream, etc. You'll become the best cook ever, and your husband will love you for it :)

We're always making discoveries that work for us. My latest was last weekend, and here's a link to that orgasmic experience - http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-recipes/6068-secret-chocolate-cake.html

Food is a regular topic of conversation around here, pull up a chair! And the great thing is, most of us are getting healthier with diabetes not the other way around. Carrying around 80 extra pounds at your age is not healthy, and diabetes is now going to help you lose it. See?

Without even trying I've lost almost 50 lbs this year due to diabetes, and I'm continuing to lose. You'll read these stories all over the site, there are loads of us.

On my bg readings, i am a little confused, are they decent, too high or what? I keep reading too many different things.
I think they're excellent! 80-125 is fabulous!

In a few months (or sooner) you might be saying, as I say about myself, that diabetes is the best thing that happened to you this year.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Good morning MayMay! I was just diagnosed in July and have the same feelings you do. I am 36 and have a almost 6 year old and a 3 year old. See my signature for my numbers. This forum has given me lots of hope and great advice. I got my numbers down quickly doing the low carb thing and recently started on metformin. Please make yourself at home.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
My husband and I were diagnosed 6 months ago. We have stayed off medicine with diet and exercise. The first step is to keep track of your bg, the way you are doing. By the way, congratulations, your numbers are good. The second step is to go to Blood Sugar 101 as moon has already recommended to you. There is a section there - what is normal blood sugar. That will tell you a safe range for your bg, and what numbers are dangerous. From there you need to determine what number you will not allow yourself to go above. 140 is the dangerous range, so always keep your bg below that. Some keep theirs below 120 at all times. It is up to you, everyone is different. I'm with moon when she advises you read everything you can on the bloodsugar101 website. Many of us were scared when we were diagnosed, but if you replace fear with knowledge, you won't be afraid any more.

Next, you need to determine how many carbs you can eat without raising your bg too high. As I said, everyone is different, so your meter is your best friend. When you eat a new food, check your bg 1 and 2 hrs. after eating. If it spikes you too bad, remove it from your food list.

Many of us are on diets similar to Atkins or Dr. Bernstein's. The Atkins website has food lists that will help you to know what foods you can eat. Don't feel like you are depriving yourself or your family, low carb is a healthy way to eat, the food is good and you can make a few adjustments to your regular recipes and they will taste just as good if not better. Also check out our recipe section, there is even a good pizza recipe there, among other good things. If you are willing to eat artificial sweeteners (some of us are, some aren't) your family can still enjoy sweet treats.

Welcome to the forum and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm wearing a size 10 scaredy shoe.. I was diagnosed a week ago and am kinda floundering in the mirk of woe is me.. It really is terrifying the crap out of me.. I have a six year old daughter and all I can think is she is going to lose me.:violin: It is hard to not think like that...

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm wearing a size 10 scaredy shoe.. I was diagnosed a week ago and am kinda floundering in the mirk of woe is me.. It really is terrifying the crap out of me.. I have a six year old daughter and all I can think is she is going to lose me.:violin: It is hard to not think like that...
Most of us were scared when we were diagnosed, but like I told maymay, you replace fear with knowledge. Once you understand what diabetes is and know how to avoid complications, and do what you need to do, there is no need to fear.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Most of us were scared when we were diagnosed, but like I told maymay, you replace fear with knowledge. Once you understand what diabetes is and know how to avoid complications, and do what you need to do, there is no need to fear.

I hear ya... I'm busying myself into becoming a font of knowlege :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone for sharing and for your words of encouragement. I will keep u posted on how my numbers continue to read. Now i am going to start looking at the great ideas you all have on here for food. It will be an adjustment thats for sure lol. Our dinners included a lot of pasta, bread, rice, beans.......you know, the good stuff lol.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
You know, not the "good stuff" anymore. I really like the newer good stuff that I rarely took the time to make, but now it tastes better! In time you'll get the same way, I'll bet!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hi, I am 31 yrs old and was diagnosed with type 2 a few days ago. My brain is on overload and i am having a hard time coming to terms with my diagnosis. I guess i never thought i would be diabetic at this age. My fear of dying soon and leaving my child without a mother just breaks my heart. I am hoping to take this fear and change it to determination to change my lifestyle and hopefully live a LONG healthier life.
Now, to my numbers.........my glucose numbers at my gl tolerance test where 126 fasting, and 280 at the 2 hour mark. My A1c (sp) came back today and it was a 7.1. I have been checking my bg levels for about a week now and after cutting out carbs almost completely and watching my portions, my bg's have been slowly hitting between 80 to 125 being my highest reading. I am suppose to go back and see my dr in a couple of weeks so she can see my bg readings and see if she will put me on any meds (which i am hoping to avoid if at all possible for as long as i can, scared to take them due to the negative side effects they can potentially have in the long run from what i have read).
Anyways, thats a quick summary of where i am starting at. I look forward to hearing from u guys and dive into the enormous amount of helpful info i have seen on this forum. Any tips and words of encouragement are welcomed lol :)
Hi MayMay and welcome. Glad you found us and I'm sure there are many people here with loads of good information for you. Be sure to keep us posted on how you are doing:).

Gene

1 - 16 of 16 Posts