The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, there is a brand new book hot off the press called “The CarbLovers Diet: Eat What You Love, Get Slim for Life!” and it's moving up fast on the bestseller list. So unfortunately it looks like the membership here at the forum will be skyrocketing in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I do believe in Resistant Starch but not when you add it to junk foods to "make them healthier". The problem with the American diet is people think they should be able to eat anything they want with no consequences.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
When was the last time you ate a raw potato? The resistant starch is in RAW potatoes. Cooking converts it to plain old high-carb starch.

When was the last time you ate a banana which had to be peeled with a knife & cooked before you could even chew it? The resistant starch is in deep-dark-green hard-as-a-rock UNRIPE bananas. Ripening converts it to plain old high-carb sugary starch.

Methinks this book could be just another marketing expedition to transfer more money from the pockets of the dieting public.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had never heard of Resistant Starch before. On the web it says if you eat raw potato, your bg will be lower the next day. Is it true? If it is, why aren't we all eating a raw potato every day?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I had never heard of Resistant Starch before. On the web it says if you eat raw potato, your bg will be lower the next day. Is it true? If it is, why aren't we all eating a raw potato every day?
Because they're yucky?

Seriously, fiber does help. But I don't believe we have to get all starchy about it. :D

Celery and salad greens do the job just fine!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
But raw potatoes are supposed to contain a special starch -Resistant Starch - that Celery and salad greens don't contain.
Yeah, I know. Never heard of resistant starch before, though. Will need to read up on it. But I suspect my body would treat it like junk food -- it tends to view every gram of carb as a king-size candy bar. Fiber's good for many things, but it's never helped me with BGs.

Would be interesting to see if/how it works for others, however.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Resistant starch may be compared to fiber because, like fiber, it doesn't absorb in the small intestine. I haven't delved deeply into this, but I do eat green bananas without spikes, thanks to Marty (MCS), and they fill the void left by potatoes. Marty is the one to consult about resistant starch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts