The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is shelly and all i can really share is that I had and ear fungus and got it all cleaned up and apparently it was due to being a Pre-diabetic. My results came in after a week from seeing the otolarynggologist and apparently im 'borderline' diabetic. I have a 5.7% of total hgb. I guess I have to be careful right?

·
Registered
61 Posts
My results came in after a week from seeing the otolarynggologist and apparently im 'borderline' diabetic. I have a 5.7% of total hgb. I guess I have to be careful right?
Hi, shelly. The answer is yes, you have to be careful. I was diagnosed as borderline too, so my doctor said I don't need to test my bg, but I went to Walmart and bought an inexpensive tester and strips... ReliOn brand. That was 6 months ago, I have been able to keep my bg low by eating low carb. Blood Sugar 101 will tell you where your bg should be and lots of other things that any diabetic should know.

Glad you found the forum, this is the right place to be to get the best advice. If you have any questions, ask away. You will find that people here are very friendly and helpful. :welcome:

Froggie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Froggie, thanks for your reply and the website. Your awesome! since Monday, I have been eating WAY better and excersicing. My goal is to drop it by the end of the year and to continue it for the rest of my life! Thanks so much! im headint to Walmart this weekend to purchase those strips. also, what fruits, vegs did you eat to drop your glucose?

·
Registered
61 Posts
what fruits, vegs did you eat to drop your glucose?
I can tell you what fruits and veggies I eat, but what is right for me may not be right for you, everyone is different. That is one reason you need to test one and/or 2 hrs. after eating, so you can try different foods to see what effect they have on your blood sugar. The only fruit I eat is tomatoes, but some diabetics can't eat them. I only eat veggies that are low on the glycemic index, except I do eat some carrots.

Others will probably be along shortly to tell you what they can and can't eat. There are lots of low carb recipes on this site, and if you look for recipes online or in cookbooks, be sure to look for low carb recipes, not diabetic ones, as they are almost always loaded with carbs.

Froggie

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I had the dreaded yeast infection in both ears. Man thats a wonderfully painful thing as I am sure you are aware. It would benefit you to be careful, read as much as you can, ask a lot of questions, we are all here to help.

My name is shelly and all i can really share is that I had and ear fungus and got it all cleaned up and apparently it was due to being a Pre-diabetic. My results came in after a week from seeing the otolarynggologist and apparently im 'borderline' diabetic. I have a 5.7% of total hgb. I guess I have to be careful right?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Shelly - thank you for joining us! My experience is a lot like Froggie's - the only fruits I can eat are tomatoes & avocados. If you like avocados, they are a diabetic's best friend, next to your meter, of course. ;) Foods like pasta, potatoes, bread, sweets, anything made from grains (wheat, corn, oats, rice, etc.) are off limits for me too. Your meter will let you know - if any food raises your blood sugar higher than 140 (7.7), it's a good idea to stop eating it, or sharply limit portion size & eat it very rarely.

Another very helpful guide is the CalorieKing carb counter booklet. The GI can give a rough estimate of carbs' effects on you, but knowing the specific carb content of a given food and testing after you eat it, gives you the exact effect it has on your own blood sugar, so you can make the decision whether it's safe for YOU to continue eating it, or should you delete it from your menus. This method means a lot of testing in the beginning, but once you've tested most of the foods you normally eat & weeded out the ones that spike you, you're pretty safe in backing off the testing unless you're introducing a new food or eating someone else's cooking.

Take care and visit us often - ask all the questions you want & keep us posting on how you're doing! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts