The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember my first day here... I was scared... I was angry... and I was sad... But most of all I was determined. I found this Site 1 hour after being diagnosed with an A1C of 13.9. I just felt Lost. I was being treated by a Doctor I did not trust and was disappointed he did not tell me a year before. I wanted to blame him but, in the end I was the one to blame... I let myself get to this point. Well I made a deal about my Diet with a Dietitian that I spoke about in "Not for Everyone" and the deal was I would come and speak at a New Diabetic class about my results and I would have 15 minutes to talk about anything I want because I was "The Best Diabetic They Had In About 3 Years"... I agreed

I got there and as I was standing there talking to a Dietitian a guy walks in with a Chocolate cupcake (55 carbs)... He told me it was Ok because he had an extra Pill....Hmmmmmm

So my class begins and it was 13 people.... A doctor spoke then the Nutritionist... Then me. I started my speech as follows
Hello When I was first diagnosed I would have stood up here and said I am a Diabetic that is named Will... You see when I was diagnosed I thought that I had to put the disease first in my life because if I put anything else before my disease... I would loose to the Disease. Today though I am here to Say Hi... I am Will and I have Diabetes. Why is it different? Well I learned that I need to put myself first and by putting myself first I can beat the Disease. Some of you look confused so please do this for me... Stand up... Now lift one leg off the floor... now stand there like that for as long as you can... You see this is the result of not Putting yourself first. This is the result of not taking care of yourself... This is what our future can be mister Cup cake. It is not only the People that have prolonged high readings that can loose a limb... It is also the occasional spikes that can loose a limb. I am not here to scare you... I just want you to know what motivates me.

I then went onto explain that I went from a 13.9 to a 5.2 in 4 months. I suffered with an addiction and battle depression with thoughts of Suicide but, it did not stop me from taking care of myself. I told them about a coworker that would eat everything and complain about his high numbers... and about a friend that eats basically nothing to keep her numbers under control. After about 10 minutes of talking i saw people start to wobble so I said that they can all sit but, to think about how it felt... and then ask themselves the following questions
1- Do you have the disease or does the disease have you?
2-Is the Cup Cake worth the foot?
3- Do you know how your meds work?
4- Have you found a way to eat that you can live with?
5- Are you lying to yourself about what you can eat?

When the class was over we collected 3 Candy Bars and about 70 pieces of Candy

Just wanted to share

·
Registered
583 Posts
Some of you may remember my first day here... I was scared... I was angry... and I was sad... But most of all I was determined. I found this Site 1 hour after being diagnosed with an A1C of 13.9. I just felt Lost. I was being treated by a Doctor I did not trust and was disappointed he did not tell me a year before. I wanted to blame him but, in the end I was the one to blame... I let myself get to this point. Well I made a deal about my Diet with a Dietitian that I spoke about in "Not for Everyone" and the deal was I would come and speak at a New Diabetic class about my results and I would have 15 minutes to talk about anything I want because I was "The Best Diabetic They Had In About 3 Years"... I agreed

I got there and as I was standing there talking to a Dietitian a guy walks in with a Chocolate cupcake (55 carbs)... He told me it was Ok because he had an extra Pill....Hmmmmmm

So my class begins and it was 13 people.... A doctor spoke then the Nutritionist... Then me. I started my speech as follows
Hello When I was first diagnosed I would have stood up here and said I am a Diabetic that is named Will... You see when I was diagnosed I thought that I had to put the disease first in my life because if I put anything else before my disease... I would loose to the Disease. Today though I am here to Say Hi... I am Will and I have Diabetes. Why is it different? Well I learned that I need to put myself first and by putting myself first I can beat the Disease. Some of you look confused so please do this for me... Stand up... Now lift one leg off the floor... now stand there like that for as long as you can... You see this is the result of not Putting yourself first. This is the result of not taking care of yourself... This is what our future can be mister Cup cake. It is not only the People that have prolonged high readings that can loose a limb... It is also the occasional spikes that can loose a limb. I am not here to scare you... I just want you to know what motivates me.

I then went onto explain that I went from a 13.9 to a 5.2 in 4 months. I suffered with an addiction and battle depression with thoughts of Suicide but, it did not stop me from taking care of myself. I told them about a coworker that would eat everything and complain about his high numbers... and about a friend that eats basically nothing to keep her numbers under control. After about 10 minutes of talking i saw people start to wobble so I said that they can all sit but, to think about how it felt... and then ask themselves the following questions
1- Do you have the disease or does the disease have you?
2-Is the Cup Cake worth the foot?
3- Do you know how your meds work?
4- Have you found a way to eat that you can live with?
5- Are you lying to yourself about what you can eat?

When the class was over we collected 3 Candy Bars and about 70 pieces of Candy

Just wanted to share
Very good post!! Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your success!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I agree with you 100%. When I was first dx'd the dietician was telling me I still could eat desserts, carbs even sugar. But I soon found out the numbers that she said were OK (180) after meals were not OK. Then I started to read about the terrible complications that come from keeping your bgs above 140. So when I am tempted by things others are eating I do think twice whether I want to keep things like toes, legs, kidneys, and eyes. I have found I still can make treats and desserts but I now make them without fruit, sugar or flour. I have had to totally change my life but it is worth it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with you 100%. When I was first dx'd the dietician was telling me I still could eat desserts, carbs even sugar. But I soon found out the numbers that she said were OK (180) after meals were not OK. Then I started to read about the terrible complications that come from keeping your bgs above 140. So when I am tempted by things others are eating I do think twice whether I want to keep things like toes, legs, kidneys, and eyes. I have found I still can make treats and desserts but I now make them without fruit, sugar or flour. I have had to totally change my life but it is worth it.
I remember the first Nutritionist I saw... I went in her office and there was only one guy with 2 legs and from the looks it would not be long for him... I called it her Diabetic Scared Straight Program

1 - 4 of 4 Posts