The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My name is Karen. Discovered 6 months ago that my blood sugar was 496 while testing some glucometers for my business. MD prescribed Metformin 1,000mg daily. Blood sugar well controlled with blood sugars 90-130 until 3 weeks ago. No infections... however blood sugars upper 200's. I eat no more than 20 carbs per day and am very strict with this and have not cheated. Starting Levemir 10 units q HS as of tonight. One interesting thing that I question is since starting Metformin I have had severe neck pain-MD thinks this is unrelated I think it is related. Has anyone had this symptom.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Karen. I've not heard of metformin causing neck pain . . . headache - yes, gastric distress - yes, but not neck pain.

My own neck pain is from a bulging cervical disk, and predates my diabetes/metformin days by a very long time. Hope you find the cause & get relief for this issue . . . it sure illuminates the truth of the adage "pain-in-the-neck"! Not pleasant. :(

Thank you for joining us - I hope you'll be able to visit us often! :)

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Karen! I don't know anything about neck pain being a side effect of metformin but wanted to welcome you to the forum.

What a surprise that must've been to find out you have diabetes accidentally like that, and with such a high number. My numbers were high also, but I was very ill. Were you symptom-free, or like me attributing whatever symptoms you did have to other things?

Congrats on getting your blood sugar under control, but I'm too much of a newbie to offer opinions on why your numbers climbed back up. Most here are on rather low carb diets, but most are not as restrictive as you are. One poster said when he increased carbs from being quite low carb his numbers got better. We're all different, all our own lab rats!

G

·
welcome Karen :) I used to be on metformin and I had the gastric side effects quite bad... I don't recall getting neck pain. Although like Shanny, I get pain in my neck too for another reason. I probably shouldn't say I'm glad you found out you have diabetes... although you know what I mean... you can at least get those BGLs under control now. It's such a journey no matter how long you've had diabetes for. We're certainly all different. Keep up posted on how you're doing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts