The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a diagnosis of Type 2 from my doctor earlier this week. Having grown up with a diabetic mother, I've always been on the lookout for symptoms so the diagnosis wasn't a complete surprise.

Right now I'm trying to get used to remembering that I have diabetes now and that I have to think about what I eat. Keeping control of my sweet tooth (never met a chocolate I didn't like) is going to be a challenge for me I think.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Ima, & welcome. Get a meter & strips and get started testing every day. This may not be what the doctor ordered, but believe me, it's the only way we remember that we're all still diabetic.

Sweets aren't the only problem, everything that contains carbs is the problem, and that includes everything from your breakfast orange juice (deadly!) to the whole grain bread on your lunch sandwich (equally deadly), to the baked potato nestled next to your dinner steak (still deadly).

But the good news is that there are no restrictions on meat/poultry/fish, bacon/sausage, eggs, cheeses of all kinds, nuts, avocados & olives . . . and no restrictions on fats like butter/cream/full-fat mayonnaise/cream cheese/sour cream/etc. Build your meals around protein & fats - ditch the carbs & you're ahead of the game already.

Welcome aboard & thank you for joining us!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Time to put that food in your past

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Ima, & welcome. Get a meter & strips and get started testing every day. This may not be what the doctor ordered, but believe me, it's the only way we remember that we're all still diabetic.

Sweets aren't the only problem, everything that contains carbs is the problem, and that includes everything from your breakfast orange juice (deadly!) to the whole grain bread on your lunch sandwich (equally deadly), to the baked potato nestled next to your dinner steak (still deadly).
oh man, all my favourites.
But the good news is that there are no restrictions on meat/poultry/fish, bacon/sausage, eggs, cheeses of all kinds, nuts, avocados & olives . . . and no restrictions on fats like butter/cream/full-fat mayonnaise/cream cheese/sour cream/etc. Build your meals around protein & fats - ditch the carbs & you're ahead of the game already.
good thing i have a lot of favourites in this category too

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

You might be encouraged to hear I had more trouble controlling my sweet tooth before dx than I do now. Since my carb addiction has been throttled, I don't prowl around for carbs and sweets the way I used to. There's a bowl of candy in the house for my 92 yr old mother's sake - I don't even see it anymore (except to refill it.) Now we're talking miracles!

Glad you joined us.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Welcome Ima! If you look for them, there are a lot of good sweets you can have still, as long as you make them from healthy sugar substitutes. Shanny has several good ones posted in our recipe section. As to the rest, you'll be okay once you get your carbs figured out and know what you can eat safely. Your meter will be your best friend in this search as well as a food log so you can build your list. Tell us more about yourself and your life as well as your numbers and meds.

As you are able, search our site for things you have questions about and feel free to answer questions.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I work as a medical physicist in a radiology department in Charleston, SC. Nominally that means I know about radiation, x-ray units and the effects of radiation on people (still learning lots about the latter).

I didn't see my initial blood sugar level done by my doctor, but he told me my A1C was 11.9. He got me started on metformin 1000mg twice a day. Once I got my meter, the first couple of days testing were quite eye opening. 299 for my first early morning test yesterday and 288 this morning. The metformin and my low carb breakfast and lunch must be helping because now I'm down to 178 after lunch.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Definitely check out the recipe forums. Here are a few more that I use often to make snacks and desserts Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home
Low Carb Diets at About.com - Atkins South Beach and More Low Carb Diets

Being diabetic doesn't have to mean giving up desserts. It does mean giving up the ingredients than tend to spike us like flour, sugar, cornstarch, etc. Most of us have found alternatives available that taste fantastic. As far as chocolate start finding a good quality dark chocolate with a lot of fat. Personally I like the Lindt's 85% dark. It takes a little while to get used to the taste but it satisfies the chocolate craving. Also using dark cocoa in recipes works pretty good. Many of us make our own chocolate with Coconut Oil, dark cocoa, a little sweetner and whatever else we want to add. As Shanny said make sure you use your meter, a lot in the beginning. As you begin to know your reaction to food you can probably cut back a little.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I work as a medical physicist in a radiology department in Charleston, SC.
I have a lot of affection for Charleston and still have friends there. I went to high school at Ashley Hall as a boarder before it became just a day school. Ironically, my father, a Hungarian, met Miss McBee when she was vacationing in Yugoslavia. It was before WWII, he was in his early 20's, and he couldn't know he would be escaping Hungary and coming to the States. She told him if he ever had daughters he should send them to the US to school there :)

Reactions: imabug and Shanny

·
Registered
51 Posts
(never met a chocolate I didn't like)
lol...me either.

Welcome to the forum. Hoping you find lots of tips and recipes to satisfy your sweet tooth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts