The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a used elliptical this morning from a neighbor. Looking forward to my wife and I being able to exercise at home some more.

Looking forward to dropping more weight and maintaining my bs.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exercise has a zillion benefits but weight loss isn't one of them. You need to be able to burn stored fat to drop weight. Controversial but true.
Are you saying exercise has no effect in someone loosing weight? I would think anything one does to burn calories will help them to loose weight be it eating better or burning calories by exercising.

·
Registered
547 Posts
From my experience weight loss comes from WOE and portion control, exercise is good for a feeling of well being, balance etc.

LCHF is the way to go, no doubt about that.

·
Super Moderator
9,523 Posts
My bike computer calculated calories burned and my scales say exercise is a cause of weight loss for me. I would think if you exercised hard enough and long enough it would help. Thumb twiddling would take much longer for the same effects as a hard hour bike ride or elliptical workout.

I'm sure my LCHF WOE has my metabolism in the right gear to let this happen than if I was eating SAD.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My bike computer calculated calories burned and my scales say exercise is a cause of weight loss for me. I would think if you exercised hard enough and long enough it would help. Thumb twiddling would take much longer for the same effects as a hard hour bike ride or elliptical workout. I'm sure my LCHF WOE has my metabolism in the right gear to let this happen than if I was eating SAD.
Agreed. Exercise would have to help loose weight. Anything that burns calories will help. Unless I'm totally off?

·
Registered
172 Posts
As stated, most weight loss will come from your eating plan. If you did cardio for 30 minutes, you might burn 150 calories. If you ate a piece of cheese after working out, that wipes out your exercise gains. If you do hiit workouts, then there are some advantages to sustained metabolism. I love to work out, but, I realize that most of my weight loss will come from diet.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Exercise alone does nothing to burn fat. Exercise uses energy and therefore increases the body's energy demand. Feeding this demand with the SAD will keep the fats stored. Everyday on the forum we read of weight loss on LCHF without doing anything extra. If you are in that fat burning mode, you will lose weight exercise or no exercise. And if you are not in that mode you will not lose weight exercise or no exercise.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Exercise tightens and firms muscles, so it can affect clothing size. Normal levels may result in smaller sizes, while a bodybuilder's bulging muscles may necessitate larger sizes.

The confusing bit is ... weight can refuse to drop, or may rise a bit, even as clothing sizes get smaller.

Exercise can also be an appetite suppressant for some (but can also work in reverse).

On occasion, exercise has helped my BGs ... but ... only over the short term (like, an hour or two, at most). Some have tried doing a full-on workout in conjunction with every carby meal, but it's hard to sustain that pace.

Reactions: Mary and Shanny

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Exercise tightens and firms muscles, so it can affect clothing size. Normal levels may result in smaller sizes, while a bodybuilder's bulging muscles may necessitate larger sizes. The confusing bit is ... weight can refuse to drop, or may rise a bit, even as clothing sizes get smaller. Exercise can also be an appetite suppressant for some (but can also work in reverse). On occasion, exercise has helped my BGs ... but ... only over the short term (like, an hour or two, at most). Some have tried doing a full-on workout in conjunction with every carby meal, but it's hard to sustain that pace.
I've notice that a few weeks I didn't loose weight but seemed to go downs a pants size. Someone told me I may just be building muscle which is why no weight loss but reduced size.

·
Super Moderator
9,523 Posts
Exercise in itself does not cause fat loss, however the right type of exercising can, and will, put you in fat burning mode. A lot of people will not, or can not, engage in the exercises that do burn fat. But just a broad statement that exercise does not burn fat is as wrong as one stating that it does. Same can be said of saying in generalities that eating causes weight gain. Its what your exercise or food consists of.

There are lots of studies if you look

Reactions: Shanny

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exercise in itself does not cause fat loss, however the right type of exercising can, and will, put you in fat burning mode. A lot of people will not, or can not, engage in the exercises that do burn fat. But just a broad statement that exercise does not burn fat is as wrong as one stating that it does. Same can be said of saying in generalities that eating causes weight gain. Its what your exercise or food consists of. There are lots of studies if you look
Thanks that makes sense.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts