The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to set up a visit with a new family doctor in the next week. I'm not happy with my current doctor and his lack policy of diagnosing me on one test and then not providing me with enough strips to fight properly.

Any questions I should ask the new dr. I want him to do another A1c to make sure the first test wasn't a error. (My current dr refused)

I've had great numbers the past three months after the dr checked the box for diabetic as he told me. I've averaged 105 on my readings four times a day.

I'm ok with being diabetic as I've got it under control and am probably in the best shape I've been my whole life. What I'm not ok with is if I am truly diabetic and my insurance covers ten strips a day, why my dr writes me a prescription for only one test a day. Resulting in me having to pay out of pocket for more strips each month. I'm already am paying for great private insurance. His response was he doesn't like ripping off insurance companies. Well doc your ripping me off.

Thanks for any advice I should ask.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Feel your new doc out also about if you are under control, is he/she going to give you any flak about your diet? Mine is cautiously supportive, which I can deal with. She won't argue with results.

And I worked with my insurance company and perscription provider to help me figure out what to ask my doc for, in order to get the most bang for my buck. I just took delivery of 600 lancets and strips.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Feel your new doc out also about if you are under control, is he/she going to give you any flak about your diet? Mine is cautiously supportive, which I can deal with. She won't argue with results. And I worked with my insurance company and perscription provider to help me figure out what to ask my doc for, in order to get the most bang for my buck. I just took delivery of 600 lancets and strips.
Thanks for the advice. I had previously talked to my insurance and what they cover. My current drs nurse told me the dr doesn't like sticking it to insurance. I guess he thinks I'll take the extra strips and sell em. I don't know. Oh well in to better care.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I should proably do that but I have never even asked my doc for strips, my first do I did and I got a 2 month supply of a grand total of 50 strips for a meter I didnt own, he said he could only recomend testing daily. I have been using the walmart brand since I started at $10 a box of 50 I dont even bother with insurance but maybe I should give it a try

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should proably do that but I have never even asked my doc for strips, my first do I did and I got a 2 month supply of a grand total of 50 strips for a meter I didnt own, he said he could only recomend testing daily. I have been using the walmart brand since I started at $10 a box of 50 I dont even bother with insurance but maybe I should give it a try
I just figure that's what insurance is for. If I can get 300 strips for the same copay as 51 then why not?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Make sure your doctor knows why you switched providers. It's important he knows that you care MORE about your health than the money some giant soulless corporation makes, and he should have the same attitude. You know, because of the Hippocratic Oath and all...

On edit: you can probably also file a complaint with your state medical board. Doctors have a responsibility to look out for the health of their patients, and refusing treatment because of some imagined fiduciary responsibility to an insurance company is unethical and borderline criminal.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Make sure your doctor knows why you switched providers. It's important he knows that you care MORE about your health than the money some giant soulless corporation makes, and he should have the same attitude. You know, because of the Hippocratic Oath and all... On edit: you can probably also file a complaint with your state medical board. Doctors have a responsibility to look out for the health of their patients, and refusing treatment because of some imagined fiduciary responsibility to an insurance company is unethical and borderline criminal.
My doctor may have had his reasons but I would think you could run another test. I could see if I'm there every other week with some made up illness I thought I had or if I was trying to get meds to sell. The only other time I've seen him is once a year every February or so I get a chest cold and he gives me antibiotics and maybe some cough medicine.

I ran out of strips today and thought about calling his nurse tomorrow and trying to get him to up my prescription but then just said heck with it. I spent less than my copay buying the walmart meter and will just use it till I see the new dr.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
A doctor who considers prescribing the maximum number of test strips insurance allows is "abusing insurance"?

Run.

I don't know who he is working for. But it ain't you.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A doctor who considers prescribing the maximum number of test strips insurance allows is "abusing insurance"? Run. I don't know who he is working for. But it ain't you.
Thanks that's how I feel. If I was abusing the system then that's one thing. But I feel the doctor works for me. I'm paying him for care.

I had to go buy the relion meter and strips last night as my one a day prescription ran out and I can't refill till may 11.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
As a diagnosed PD my insurance says I do not need to test - just keep my BG under control by reading tea leaves and examining goat entrails.

I have been completely satisfied with my Relion Prime. The test results are consistent & make sense, and the test strips fit into my budget.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a diagnosed PD my insurance says I do not need to test - just keep my BG under control by reading tea leaves and examining goat entrails. I have been completely satisfied with my Relion Prime. The test results are consistent & make sense, and the test strips fit into my budget.
I had three strips in my drum left for the accu check so I used them to check the relion and they all were within a 5 points of each other.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My insurance allows three strips per day for a generic prescription. In other words you get three strips minimum. The dr can prescribe more and I check mine 4 times per day and my prescription states four time per day, so the insurance cover it. AARP Medicare Complete has NO copay for diabetes testing strips, lancets, meters(one every five years) or even batteries, but you have to be over 65 to qualify.
I fired my Endo Dr and get all my meds from my PCP and she is wonderful. She checked my a1c and other tests every 3 months until I got by BG down to 6.1 and now she only checks it every six months. I started out at 8.1

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My insurance allows three strips per day for a generic prescription. In other words you get three strips minimum. The dr can prescribe more and I check mine 4 times per day and my prescription states four time per day, so the insurance cover it. AARP Medicare Complete has NO copay for diabetes testing strips, lancets, meters(one every five years) or even batteries, but you have to be over 65 to qualify. I fired my Endo Dr and get all my meds from my PCP and she is wonderful. She checked my a1c and other tests every 3 months until I got by BG down to 6.1 and now she only checks it every six months. I started out at 8.1
My insurance will cover up to ten times a day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts