The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Y’all,
I have been insulin dependent diabetic for over 35 years, my first 25 years I maintained excellent control. I am married and have 5 kids. In 1980 I used an Autosyrige as an early Insulin pump. We would dilute 120 units of U-100R in 880 units of saline and attach a 5 cc syringe to 17 gauge butterflies, I also participated in early test of Artificial pancreas closed loop system at University of Virginia. I wanted to be the best diabetic anyone could be. Then children, work and self pity showed it’s ugly face and I let my control slide. My exercise routine is complicated by the fact I have Charcot-Marie-Tooth, a disease of the peripheral nerves, a form of muscular dystrophy. When my mobility began to deteriorate so did my resolve to be a “Good” diabetic. Even as I was being bad diabetic I was very lucky to have no problems with my eyes, liver or kidneys. Over the last year I have started finding my way back to being a “Good” diabetic, but still slip from time to time and thought reading what others are dealing with and airing my own frustrations would help save myself and relieve the stress I have added to my family. My current treatment is Novolog, Lantus, Metformin, Symlin, and crestor. Thanks for letting me share and look forward to being a part of this forum.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well madehtzach . . . come in & sit down! Looks like you've paid your dues and then some. I hope getting together with all of us can boost your resolve to maintain better control . . . and yeah, this is a terrific place to come & let down our hair, rant/rave, get it off our chests, so we aren't quite such a PIA to our families! :D

I'm making the assumption that you are type 1? That's quite something about your early use of the Autosyringe . . . you'll have to tell us more of your stories!

Take care and I hope you have time to visit often.

:welcome:

G

·
welcome Madehtzach :) glad you've joined us.... you sound like you have tonnes of experiences to share. We all know life is a journey and it's pretty much the same with diabetes. I think I've mentioned in some other post that all of us have our bad days but at the end of the day it's about our overall attitude... if that's right we can stay motivated to do the right thing. I don't really believe anyone who tells me that they are so perfect with managing any condition as I know we're all human and prone to mistakes and those 'down' times where we have to get back up on our feet. In fact people who always think they are 'right' and think they are perfect all the time annoy the hell out of me... as I know they are just liars either to themselves or others if they think they're better than everyone else. I certainly admire people when they are succeeding though... but somewhere along the line they will need support somehow regardless of successes just like everyone else. This is a good bunch of people on here who have a clue and like to share whatever is happening. Look forward to hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello Y’all,
I have been insulin dependent diabetic for over 35 years, my first 25 years I maintained excellent control. I am married and have 5 kids. In 1980 I used an Autosyrige as an early Insulin pump. We would dilute 120 units of U-100R in 880 units of saline and attach a 5 cc syringe to 17 gauge butterflies, I also participated in early test of Artificial pancreas closed loop system at University of Virginia. I wanted to be the best diabetic anyone could be. Then children, work and self pity showed it’s ugly face and I let my control slide. My exercise routine is complicated by the fact I have Charcot-Marie-Tooth, a disease of the peripheral nerves, a form of muscular dystrophy. When my mobility began to deteriorate so did my resolve to be a “Good” diabetic. Even as I was being bad diabetic I was very lucky to have no problems with my eyes, liver or kidneys. Over the last year I have started finding my way back to being a “Good” diabetic, but still slip from time to time and thought reading what others are dealing with and airing my own frustrations would help save myself and relieve the stress I have added to my family. My current treatment is Novolog, Lantus, Metformin, Symlin, and crestor. Thanks for letting me share and look forward to being a part of this forum.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Come on in and make yourself comfortable! There is a wealth of information to be found on the forum. Read what interests you. I hope you have time to visit the forum often and take care!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello

Hello, and welcome! I have heard of Charcot foot but not Charcot tooth before. It sounds setious. I hope you are doig well and can have a good life.

You are the second diabetic i have met who started pumping with the Autosyringe in 1980. My friend in Montana is the other one. I have been type 1 for 65 years.

May we help you with something?

Richard

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Onlymep, Breezeonby and Richard

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to using this site to not only help stay on the straight and narrow but to keep up with changes and treatments. The old Autosyrige now those were the good old days. I worked at a ski resort in Virginia and would break syringes in the cold, had to wear the pump in a walkie talkie chest pack to keep it warm. I look forward learning from all the members as I try to return to being a “good” diabetic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A Little Extra

Hello, and welcome! I have heard of Charcot foot but not Charcot tooth before. It sounds setious. I hope you are doig well and can have a good life.
Richard
Richard

CMT is only affects my motor skills and will not shorten my life. It’s like being a diabetic, our automatic is broken so we work on manual. CMT makes me think more when doing certain activities. If you like some more info check the sites below, without the spaces. Thanks for your concern.

ncbi . nlm . nih . gov / pubmedhealth / PMH0001741

mdausa . org / disease / cmt

Madehtzach:)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum, so you've been around sometime as diabetic, glad to share the experiences. I agree with Shanny totally, this place is as addictive as good food. Let your hairdown and enjoy being a diabetic...:ranger:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.