The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've spent the last couple of days reading through some of the newbie intros on your forum and decided to join up myself. 21 year old male who has loved bread, olives, meat and cheese (yes, processed stuff, too ... blasphemy where I'm from) far too long.

I was put "on warning" by my doctor last month after he checked me over (regular physical) and noticed that I'd put on about 35 lbs. since last visit. I am sure there were other signs/issues that he mentioned, too, but that's what I remember right now ...

So that brings me up to 250 lbs. Never been muscular, as you can well imagine, but also never really thought much about the risks, given that my crew/family has always been "in my league" weight- and diet- wise. And none of them have been diagnosed, so ...

I'm engaged now, and my fiancee is not happy about the recent news ... or my continued indulgence of WisPride and Usinger's. I'm not really sure how to "prevent" Diabetes, diet-wise. I am really not a good eater by any means, and have trouble wading through articles about Type II because I'm unfamiliar with the terms. Looking forward to reading more and interacting. In all honesty, I'm hoping someone wlll tell me, "Steve, meat and cheese is not the problem!" That would be fantastic.

Thx.,
-Steve S.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh yeah, the other thing the doc mentioned (aside from my weight/diet) had to do with a recent problem with ED (fiancee made me bring it up ...) and vision/fatigue issues. sight was a bit blurred when I walked into the office, and I was panting. I thought that had more to do w/ being tired/frustrated. Nurse seemed to think otherwise, and she publicized the fact. As for ED issues, I still insist it's stress-related; new graduate, looking for work, studying for GRE, etc. etc. more soon. -Steve

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
In all honesty, I'm hoping someone wlll tell me, "Steve, meat and cheese is not the problem!" That would be fantastic.
Steve, meat and cheese are not the problem. Really. Now, it's best not to have overly-processed cheeses, stick with natural cheese, not cheese food. And for meat, stay away from nitrates and nitrites as much as possible.

You said you were given a warning, but was that coupled with an out-of-line blood glucose reading, or you were told that just because you've gained weight? Not everyone who gains weight gets diabetes by any means, but watching carbohydrate and processed food consumption is good for everyone, diabetic or not.

What were your blood sugar numbers?

Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us, and glad you've been educating yourself. That puts you ahead of the curve :)

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Steve, meat and cheese aren't the problem! But as you've been told, eat good cheese, which should not be a problem where you live! Full fat always is the best choice. Gee, I wish I had your choices, but I eat the best I can find in Louisiana and I love steaks (fatty of course) and a big salad, but ask for another green vegetable instead of the potato. Or, a sweet potato if that's a choice and tons of butter (that works for me, but maybe not for you). I pass on the bread, unless it smells really good and is special...in that case, I have to ask for more butter to use on it...and not eat a lot of it! Read Dr. Richard Bernstein's web site. The Atkins diet worked great for me...moderated with some Bernstein ideas. Give your girlfriend a copy of a Dana Carpentar cookbooks for inspiration. Also, let her read our recipe section for ideas.

Good luck, and tell us how it's going....

Oh, ED is not unheard of, but losing some of that weight and eating right will right things I'm sure. And, you can't 'cure' diabetes, but if you climb on the wagon with low carb/high fat, you'll perhaps postpone or even control the issue for years.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm not really sure how to "prevent" Diabetes, diet-wise.
Did your doctor say you are borderline or pre-diabetic? Did he give you an A1c test? If so, what was the result? If not, do you test your blood glucose (bg)? If you are concerned about diabetes, you really should get a meter and strips to test so you can see where you are so you will know how to procede. Walmart has a cheap meter and strips, that is what many of us use.

If you go to Blood Sugar 101 and read the section on what is normal blood sugar, that should be a big help to you.

Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome

Hi everyone,

I've spent the last couple of days reading through some of the newbie intros on your forum and decided to join up myself. 21 year old male who has loved bread, olives, meat and cheese (yes, processed stuff, too ... blasphemy where I'm from) far too long.

I was put "on warning" by my doctor last month after he checked me over (regular physical) and noticed that I'd put on about 35 lbs. since last visit. I am sure there were other signs/issues that he mentioned, too, but that's what I remember right now ...

So that brings me up to 250 lbs. Never been muscular, as you can well imagine, but also never really thought much about the risks, given that my crew/family has always been "in my league" weight- and diet- wise. And none of them have been diagnosed, so ...

I'm engaged now, and my fiancee is not happy about the recent news ... or my continued indulgence of WisPride and Usinger's. I'm not really sure how to "prevent" Diabetes, diet-wise. I am really not a good eater by any means, and have trouble wading through articles about Type II because I'm unfamiliar with the terms. Looking forward to reading more and interacting. In all honesty, I'm hoping someone wlll tell me, "Steve, meat and cheese is not the problem!" That would be fantastic.

Thx.,
-Steve S.
Hi Steve and welcome. Sounds like you know the needed changes and like anything else in life, change is never easy. Will just take so time and getting use to and your fiancee-soon to be wife will be a big help too.
Let us know how you're doing as you get use to different ways of doing things.

Gene

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! And also for help on the ED front: nice to be in a place where I can talk openly about that -- my offline friends aren't so keen on hearing about it, I'm sure. And as for the cheese issue: already made a pact with myself to go for the good stuff (you're right,Patdart , I'm lucky to be in WI where there's so many good options for a cheesehead like myself).

called office and spoke with nurse on friday. she said reason doc was so serious when I went in in july is that it might be "prediabetes"; hadn't even heard of that before the other day. Actually, I was supposed to have called them back for an "FPG." So I guesss I will be going in for a bg test next week, and am kind of freaked out, but also confident that the changes I make will have an effect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts