The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I hope I'm in the right place for introducing myself,

I am a mother of 2, ( both married) have 5 Grandchildren, have been widowed 10 years now ( had the best ever husband ) am 56, obese and have just done the 2hour fasting test, hmm Doc wants to see me,

What am I to expect?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome to the forum Sandz, hard to say never did the 2 hour fasting test, so I really don't know that test, sounds like your sugar level must have spiked

Plus should answer why they want to see you ;)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Sandz. You must be referring to the oral glucose tolerance test? They gave you a measured amount of a glucose drink & then tested your blood at regular intervals? I haven't had one either, but I'd have thought they'd have let you know the numbers as they were testing you, or at least summarized at the end of the test. Not much way for us to know what he has to tell you, but whatever it is, we'll help you with it all we can. Keep us posted, and thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To discuss blood test results

Welcome to the forum Sandz, hard to say never did the 2 hour fasting test, so I really don't know that test, sounds like your sugar level must have spiked

Plus should answer why they want to see you ;)
The 2hour fasting test goes like this..... They take a blood test, then give you this sugary drink, you wait 2hours ( not allowed to do anything in that 2hours just sit and read ) when the 2 hours is up they do another blood test, the results of the test shows how your body processes the sugar. That's how I understand it, anyway the results are back and the nurse rang to say the Doctor needs to see me so I'm thinking I didn't do too well with the test, there is Diabeties in the family with aunts and uncles but not with my generation so far,
My visit will be Thursday this week so will tell all when I know :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
My guess is Shanny is correct. The diagnosis classically done in the US is the AM fasting blood sugar test (as simple as the finger stick and the glucose monitor we all have). As I recall if the number is 126 or higher you are considered to be a diabetic. They then send you for the 2 or 3 hour glucose tolerance test which will give the definitive answer.

Good luck with your Doctor visit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well if they are waiting a week it can't be that serious, one way to look at it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will-Sandy said:
Well if they are waiting a week it can't be that serious, one way to look at it
My fault they asked when, I said Thursday I look after my Mum ( just turned 80 ) she is due for a warfarin blood test Thursday so trying to work both at the same time :) lol in the mean time I'm getting myself in a stew, love this site very encouraging thank you all for your quick replies :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Don't get yourself all tied up in knots over this :), still they agreed to the date so it can't be that bad, take my word for it if they thought it was important to see you right away, they would find a way

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi Sandz :) I'm in NZ too (Wellington). Welcome to the forums!

They didn't do the oral glucose test on me when I was diagnosed... I had the overnight fasting test and a A1C test.

I'm learning its not as bad as it seems - I was a bit overwhelmed at first when I was first dx, but getting diabetes is probably one of the best things that's happened to me health wise - means i'm now going to be super concious of all my choices :)

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I agree with Will, if they are willing to wait a week, it wouldn't be that serious.

Why was the test ordered in the first place ? Are you having some of the classic symptoms like thirst, frequent urination, fatigue, vision problems etc. This should tell you what to expect.

Then again, as Aribella has said, with the diagnosis comes the super consciousness and healthy choices.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
Most diabetics on the forum would be low carbing, many would replace the carbs with fats, instead of proteins as with Atkins. However, you will find good BG results with the Atkins as well.

So far as the abbreviations are concerned, I'm sure there is a list somewhere, I'm new on this forum myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts