The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 years diagnosed level started at 370 since then my highest level has been 135 and on average 93-115 type 2 diabetic.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Welcome to our community! That is a very good control that you now have. I hope you can keep it that way. Are you able to manage your diabetes with only diet and exercise?

Richard

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hello and :welcome: to the forum! Come on in and make yourself comfortable :couch2:. We have a wealth of information to be found on here, read what interests you. If you can't find something do a search. I hope that you have time to visit often and take care!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome to DF, oneman . . . thank you for joining us & come back often. We have several Texans & the more the merrier! :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I am glad you're here. I'm going to be spending a little bit of time down in Dallas this weekend.
Your control is very good. I'm glad you have been able to adjust. Please post tips, tricks or any encouragement you might have, and don't be afraid to take it from other people!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Welcome fellow Texan! I am in San Antonio :)

Glad to have you here and look forward to getting to know more about you! Make yourself at home :)

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow

Welcome to our community! That is a very good control that you now have. I hope you can keep it that way. Are you able to manage your diabetes with only diet and exercise?

Richard
Thank you at first in was very depressed about learning I has type 2 diabetes I have slipped a bit on eating and exercise, my A1C is about 5.6 the last time I checked also I have not been to the doctor in almost a year, but I take my Meds everyday and check myself about once a week. I am going to get back into managing my type 2 so I won't become a type 1 I am 44 years old, I also checked myself today and my level was 92.

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome fellow Texan! I am in San Antonio :)

Glad to have you here and look forward to getting to know more about you! Make yourself at home :)
Thank you are you serious type 2 since 16 wow,! I used to eat really bad and drank sodas like there was no tomorrow that orange soda is what I think did it to me. I may have a regular coke now maybe once a month and I do not drink diet soda at all. Can you give me some hints and eating trends?

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you

Welcome to the forum! I am glad you're here. I'm going to be spending a little bit of time down in Dallas this weekend.
Your control is very good. I'm glad you have been able to adjust. Please post tips, tricks or any encouragement you might have, and don't be afraid to take it from other people!
Stay away from soda lol I completely changed my eating habits.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to the forum. This is a great place for support. I think we all do our best to control our bgs with the least amount of meds. Right now I only use metformin and hope to keep it that way. I eat fairly low carb and exercise whenever I can. My last HbA1c was 5.3 and average bgs are usually from 80-110 most days. I think as long as you pay attention to your diabetes you can manage it. Oh, by the way Type 2's cannot turn into Type 1's. They are 2 very different diseases.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thank you are you serious type 2 since 16 wow,! I used to eat really bad and drank sodas like there was no tomorrow that orange soda is what I think did it to me. I may have a regular coke now maybe once a month and I do not drink diet soda at all. Can you give me some hints and eating trends?
Well to begin with...you have T2 diabetes because you are genetically predisposed to have it. You do not "eat yourself into diabetes." You are insulin resistant, that is the hallmark of T2 diabetes. Most likely at this point you are still making an adequate amount of your own insulin, your body simply does not know how to use it properly. You do not technically become a T1. You will always be T2. Even if you ever get to the point where you need insulin...you are still T2. T1 diabetics test positive for a certain antibody that destroys the insulin producing cells in the pancreas. Now, as a T2 it is certainly possible to lose that function to produce insulin. That is what happened to me. My pancreas no longer produces the insulin I need to survive and I use an insulin pump. But..I am still considered to be T2.

The only time I drink regular sugared soda is if I am correcting a low blood sugar. I find it is *way* too sweet for my taste. Of course, that is probably because I am used to diet soda. I am sure there are plenty of people that will tell you how bad diet soda is for you...but I gotta admit I drink quite a bit of it. I must have my caffeine or I get super cranky :) My personal favorite...Pepsi Max. I am positively addicted to the stuff!

Of utmost importance to you in managing your diabetes is to control your carb intake. It is carbs that raise youe blood sugar....not just "sweet stuff". That plain, healthy, low fat baked potato might as well be a plate full of cake frosting...its gonna do the same thing to your blood sugar. Test, test, test your blood sugar. The best way to tell how many carbs your body can safely eat? Check your blood sugar before eating...make note of the number of carbs you ate...check your sugar at least 2 hours after you eat...you should already be back down to a normal level by then (at least under 140). If you are not...you ate too many carbs...lower the amount next time and try again. Carbs and sugars you need to closely monitor and curb..fats and proteins are your friends! Try to imagine your plate divided in half...one half should be a healthy low carb veggie or salad. the other half should be evenly split into your protein and your starch. That is at least a good starting point. A "healthy" bowl of oatmeal is going to cause your blood sugar to rise at breakfast...but bacon and eggs will barely budge it. The amount of carbs that each diabetic is going to safely be able to eat is going to be vastly different. Much of it depends on the level of your insulin resistance and how much insulin you are producing or taking..and if you are on meds or not.

Keep asking questions...I know it seems overwhelming at first...but it really does get easier :)

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Results

okay when I first found out I had diabetis, I did just what you said I would test in the morning then eat breakfast then eat lunch then eat dinner then test 2 hours after dinner. my levels would always be about 87 to 105 and sometimes it would go to low like once it was 59 i contacted my doactor and I was on a medication that he took me off of. I cant remeber the name off it but after that I noticed my levels would pretty much stay at 89 to about 115, So I started hearing from numerous people that I did not have diabetis some of my co-workers would eat just a piece of cake and there level would be over 200 and would check my level with them and it would be about 97 I changed doctors because I moved from California to Texas and gave him all my results and he stated I did not have to test my levels unless I feel sick or tired or weak and all the symptoms I had when I stated have never come back. I dont think I am explaining it right, I cant type all that good or shall I say fast lol. anyway I have not been to the doctor since but I do take my meds and faithfully. I checked my level today and it was like 98 my A1C last checked at 5.1 also let me tell you one last thing that is very very strange sometimes i go out with my friends and we drink and the next day when I check my level its always about 94-100?

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Few More Things

The only reason I have not been to the doctor is because everything seemd to be okay I have made an appointment for this month and I will be checking my kidneys and liver and A1C. I love to chat and talk about Diabetis i was never depressed when I found out I had it I just tried to change my eating habits. i also have a friend who is 48 years old and he drinks like a fish and his level is about 330 all the time, I also have a X whos sister tested at 600 and they told her she was borderline and I said no way that full blow diabetic. What do you think? I have 3 co-workers who are on the pump.

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
New Med

Does Anyone use Actoplus? That is what I am on and it seems to be be working just fine. Also I see some of you with details on what meds you take and photos of yourself, can I put a photo of me on the site? How do you do all this I have been trying all day.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Does Anyone use Actoplus? That is what I am on and it seems to be be working just fine. Also I see some of you with details on what meds you take and photos of yourself, can I put a photo of me on the site? How do you do all this I have been trying all day.
Click the User CP button at the upper left corner - this will take you to a menu of all the customizing options for your account.

To put your picture up as an avatar, drop down to Setting & Options where there's a link for Edit Avatar. And right below that is another link for Edit Signature, where you can include your meds, test results, etc.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi welcome, oneman. You are dealing well with the problem. Just stay off sodas, colas. Low fat and Low carb is definite answer, though fat is good sometimes. Lots of recipes in the diabetic diet section, which though I am Indian, I like a lot. Lets keep in touch.

O

·
0 Posts
welcome Oneman :) It sounds to me like you have good BGL readings mostly. You certainly have a good A1c reading. I used to love my Pepsi Max too... but I stopped drinking that a couple of years back to help my stomach. I pretty much stay away from carbonated drinks these days... I drink mainly water. Actually I do start my day with glass of half juice/half water. Then I probably have max of 2 coffees in the morning and then I stick to water after that. It's all a case of trial and error with diabetes... you have to find what works for you really. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
new to the forum

Hello everyone! I appreciate this opportunity to meet all of you. I hv read many post and received lots of information. I was diagnosis with T2 3 weeks ago. I was proscribe glipizide by the emergency room. I followed up with my new Dr and she addded Metformin HCI 1000 taken 2 times daily.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
The only reason I have not been to the doctor is because everything seemd to be okay I have made an appointment for this month and I will be checking my kidneys and liver and A1C. I love to chat and talk about Diabetis i was never depressed when I found out I had it I just tried to change my eating habits. i also have a friend who is 48 years old and he drinks like a fish and his level is about 330 all the time, I also have a X whos sister tested at 600 and they told her she was borderline and I said no way that full blow diabetic. What do you think? I have 3 co-workers who are on the pump.
600 and they called her borderline? Hmm I wouldnt call that borderline...but thats just me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
600 and they called her borderline? Hmm I wouldnt call that borderline...but thats just me.
Yes, that does not seem borderline to me either! Yikes!

- Jeremy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts