The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am a 50 year old male who was diagnosed in Nove
mber withType II. My sugar hit 330 when I visited my doc...this was in a fasting state. I had all the symptoms by then, excessive urination, some blurred vision etc. My 22 year old son was in surgical ICU for over three weeks with a severe head injury, he is fine now thank God! Prior to my visit obviously I had the stress of my sons condition and I also had a second left knee surgery the week after his release, and consequently lost my job, whew what a ride!!! All this prior to my diagnosis. I however was able to keep my fasting sugar at between 110-120 up until mid may ( metformin 500 mg daily). I developed a a cracked tooth, had it repaired but it was unstable and developed a abscess, my FG went up to 165-170. It has remained at an average of 160 over the last 45 days or so. I saw my Doc who raised my Metformin from 500 mg to 750 mg once a day. This was also 45 days ago...so it hasn't helped. I eat less than 100 grams of carbs a day and exercise every evening with a brisk 2 mi walk..I also weightlifting moderately heavy three times a week. I'm at 6 ft and weigh about 260..I have lost only about 6-7 pounds since my dx even thou I exercise the way I do...I use to run which helped me drop weight quickly, however it is no longer an option do to my knee problems. I am really frustrated I started taking 2 metformin one in the am and the other in the pm each at 500 mg for the last two weeks, my sugar has ranged from the lowest 143 to the highest 167 or so. I need some expert advise and or some ones life experience if any with this problem...Sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome to Diabetes Forum, DAD . . . thank you for joining us.

It seems to me you're on a quite low dose of metformin - are you seeing an endocrinologist for your care? Is there some reason your doc is so conservative in prescribing this old standby? Have you had severe gastric side effects from it? Metformin works wonders with insulin resistance, and in my experience it curbs appetite also, which in turn helps with the weight loss.

I would first question the doc about increasing the dosage - it may be as simple as that. For your size and blood levels, I can't imagine that doubling the dose would cause any harm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
?

First thank you for your reply! No sir, I have no gastric issues what so ever, as a matter of fact prior to this I have always been a healthy individual. I will see my doc on the 9th of Sep...he first started me on only 250mg of Met initially when I was first dx in Nov, then I called after about three weeks and he upped it to 500 mg after I informed him that it wasnt working (FG's were at a constant 270 -290 or so). So here I am now at my current state. I have no idea why he is so conservative....and no I am not seeing an Endo doc. He originally stated as well, that the met will help me lose weight...but it seems that as you mentioned this is such a low dose, maybe he just not totally up on this, he according to his triage nurse, who I spoke to earlier feels that at this point my sugar is not out of control!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
It's nothing against the competency of your PCP, but many family docs can't keep up with all the ins/outs of diabetes. If you have an option to see an endocrinologist, it might be a good move to make . . . especially in view of his contention that your sugar is not really out of control. As you see by prowling through our threads, most of us try to keep under 140 (7.7) at least - at all times - since studies show damage done to internal organs when higher levels persist.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good advise!

Thank you again,

By the way how truly accurate are the hand held meters any way?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
The FDA allows for a 20% variation either way in home glucose meters - meaning, of course, that a level of 100 (5.5) could be anywhere between 80 and 120. (4.4 and 6.6). Other agencies are calling for tightening up this spread - whether it'll ever get done is another story.

Once you get used to your meter, you'll be able to notice trends more than anything, and if a reading seems outta sync, just do another handwash & take another reading to be sure.

Whenever you have blood drawn at the lab, it's good to have your meter with you to test at that moment & compare how yours stacks up against the lab results. I use the cheapest Walmart meter I can find, and every time I've run it up against my labwork, it comes within a coupla points of their reading.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hello everyone, I am a 50 year old male who was diagnosed in Nove
mber withType II. My sugar hit 330 when I visited my doc...this was in a fasting state. I had all the symptoms by then, excessive urination, some blurred vision etc. My 22 year old son was in surgical ICU for over three weeks with a severe head injury, he is fine now thank God! Prior to my visit obviously I had the stress of my sons condition and I also had a second left knee surgery the week after his release, and consequently lost my job, whew what a ride!!! All this prior to my diagnosis. I however was able to keep my fasting sugar at between 110-120 up until mid may ( metformin 500 mg daily). I developed a a cracked tooth, had it repaired but it was unstable and developed a abscess, my FG went up to 165-170. It has remained at an average of 160 over the last 45 days or so. I saw my Doc who raised my Metformin from 500 mg to 750 mg once a day. This was also 45 days ago...so it hasn't helped. I eat less than 100 grams of carbs a day and exercise every evening with a brisk 2 mi walk..I also weightlifting moderately heavy three times a week. I'm at 6 ft and weigh about 260..I have lost only about 6-7 pounds since my dx even thou I exercise the way I do...I use to run which helped me drop weight quickly, however it is no longer an option do to my knee problems. I am really frustrated I started taking 2 metformin one in the am and the other in the pm each at 500 mg for the last two weeks, my sugar has ranged from the lowest 143 to the highest 167 or so. I need some expert advise and or some ones life experience if any with this problem...Sorry for the long post.
Hello there and welcome to the forum :)

I see Shanny has already given you some good advice so far :) You are on a pretty low dose of Metformin. I take 1000mg in the morning and 1000mg at night. You are exercising which is awesome :) The only other suggestion I have for you is it might be time to restrict your carbs further. Try testing around your meals for a little while. For example, test before you eat....eat your meal (keep track of the carb count)...test again at least in 2 hours. By the 2 hour mark you should at least be back down to where you were before you ate. If you are not....you ate too many carbs. Cut back the number and try again.

I would also suggest seeing an endocrinologist if it is at all possible. If you had a heart defect you would see a cardiologist, right? :) It only makes sense that if it is possible, an endocrinologist is going to be your best bet to help you manage your diabetes.

You might want to give us some idea of a typical menu for you...maybe we can help ferret out some hidden carbs in there. Carbohydrate intake is *key* to controlling your blood sugar. Many people dont realize how may carbs they truly are eating. Dont be fooled by "sugar free" items in the grocery store either. Unfortunately we all have to learn to be particular label readers. Often when they take out the "real sugar" they add other forms such as sugar alcohols that keep the carb count just as high. The same thing with "low fat" items....they often replace the taste lost with the fat they take out with carbs.

I wouldnt worry too much about *only* losing a few pounds. I would be willing to bet you are losing fat and gaining muscle. Especially with the weightlifting.

Hang in there :) It gets easier...really :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Pam hit the nail on the head with the carbs, DAD . . . my doc's original admonition was to stay under 100g per day. After several months of struggling, I'd researched enough to realize that was not working. Only then did I start eating to my meter & trimming more carbs from my diet. By logging my intake & all my readings, I found myself at 50-60g per day which is what it takes to keep my numbers where I want them.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Welcome DAD....I've only known about diabetes for 4 months and most of what I know I learned here. :) I'm always amazed at the range of recommendations and prescribing choices of doctors and dieticians these days. I was totally confused at first, but with the help of this forum and the internet I have found a comfort level that works for me. THAT is the key....we all have to find our own balance of what we eat, how much we exercise and what medicine (dosage) keeps our bs stable.

Just today I was told that I only need to test once a day, so there's a lot of variance in doctors' opinions. You may find that your doctor will be impressed by your newfound knowledge when you see him next time....OR he may feel insulted if you're questioning his opinion, I don't know but these days I would rather listen to people who know what they're talking about. I'd like to find a doctor who has diabetes....bet they'd have a different outlook then. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All of you ladies and gentlemen are simply awesome!

Thank you all for your support and the sharing of your obvious wealth of knowledge...this forum is a literal lifesaver. Yes, I guess I will have to educate my doc or at least share some of my new found knowledge with him and hope he doesn't feel insulted. My diet usually consist of some tuna ( in water) around noon time, some boiled chicken for dinner & some Romain based salad along with that. I don't drink any soda other than maybe one a week or so, but I do love my tea sweetened with some splenda. For breakfast I usually have a small bowl of cereal (cheerios)or oatmeal of some kind and naturally sweetened. I might have a odd piece of fruit every once in a while, some carrots, celery etc for snacks. I almost never eat bread, white rice and really keep away from the fast food market. Along with this diet, which is a average, I substitute some sardines, some baked chicken, and maybe a burger paddy ( 90% lean) no bread or anything other than mustard and regular black pepper. I do drink a lot of water throughout the day and drink tea only with my main meals, but only a small 8 oz cup or so. I do not eat anything after 8 pm, this is when I do my daily 2 mi walks. I usually eat 4-5 times daily depending on my school schedule.

·
Registered
583 Posts
All of you ladies and gentlemen are simply awesome!

Thank you all for your support and the sharing of your obvious wealth of knowledge...this forum is a literal lifesaver. Yes, I guess I will have to educate my doc or at least share some of my new found knowledge with him and hope he doesn't feel insulted. My diet usually consist of some tuna ( in water) around noon time, some boiled chicken for dinner & some Romain based salad along with that. I don't drink any soda other than maybe one a week or so, but I do love my tea sweetened with some splenda. For breakfast I usually have a small bowl of cereal (cheerios)or oatmeal of some kind and naturally sweetened. I might have a odd piece of fruit every once in a while, some carrots, celery etc for snacks. I almost never eat bread, white rice and really keep away from the fast food market. Along with this diet, which is a average, I substitute some sardines, some baked chicken, and maybe a burger paddy ( 90% lean) no bread or anything other than mustard and regular black pepper. I do drink a lot of water throughout the day and drink tea only with my main meals, but only a small 8 oz cup or so. I do not eat anything after 8 pm, this is when I do my daily 2 mi walks. I usually eat 4-5 times daily depending on my school schedule.
Sounds like you are being very disciplined about this and I'm sure it will be to your benefit once you get your medication balanced too. I was started on 1500mg a day at the beginning and my bs was under 200, so your dosage seems really low as everyone has stated.

I also tried having whole grain cereal for breakfast, but quickly found out that the multi-grain cheerios or oatmeal, with skim milk, sweetner and maybe some blueberries or 1/2 a banana were making my sugar shoot up. It's all carbs. So now I have bacon and eggs or scrambled eggs with ham & onions for breakfast....no carbs. It's really satisfying and I have no cravings for anything sweet. Kind of miss having a grapefruit now and then and really had to get used to not drinking milk, but the weightloss and bs control has been well worth it.

I finally understand the "eating to live" philosophy vs the "living to eat" one. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts