The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am Cindy and I am 54 years old. For years I have had some symptoms of diabetes, but didn't associate my symptoms to the disease. I am 5 feet 5 and weigh 133 pounds. I didn't think I was a candidate for D. However, it does run rampant in my family so I should have been smarter than I was and suspected something.

I would have times when I was nauseated, weak, and shaky and my vision would blur. I had fatigue sometimes. My mornings have always been difficult with nausea, the shakes, and a generally feeling of "ugh".
Sometimes when I would eat *over eat , eat sugar I would literally shake from the insides. So many days I just felt "off".

A few times over the last several months I had some "attacks" with the nausea and shakes. But, they would eventually go away. Then, out of the blue I would become starving and eat everything in the house!

Finally the nausea was ongoing and debilitating. I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed. I thought I was having panic attacks of some sort along with a tummy bug. It got so bad I went to the E.R. They said I had a bug and to go home and rest.

Today I saw my regular doc and she read the E/R report and noted my fasting blood sugar level *blood test was 126. She attributed that to pre diabetes or diabetes. She ordered more blood tests and set me up for a glucose tolerance tests. When I looked back at old blood tests from a test they do at my school yearly (I am a teacher) my fasting blood glucose levels were 100-110. No one said anything.

So, is my doctor right? If 126 is high, why would they ignore it in the E.R. My doc said my nausea, heart rate, sweating, and blurry vision was because of my blood sugar levels.

Just coming here for support and answers. Thank you so very much!

What symptoms can high blood sugar levels give you? I thought I would come to a site that knows this business instead of Googling and finding who knows what.

Thanks so much and happy New Year.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hello Cindy,

:welcome:to the club none of us wanted to join.

High blood sugar has a variety of symptoms, some of them subtle, some not so.

Before my diagnosis, I was normally very sleepy after meals and my eyesight had issues.

I'm not sure what technically my symptom is called but basically if my wife left a cupboard door open about six foot behind me, when I turned round, I thought I was going to hit it.

If I'd taken a flying leap at it, maybe... The OH couldn't figure out what my problem was but she got into the habit of shutting all doors carefully just for the peace and quiet!:)

Now, you've hit one of my hot buttons on the issue of "pre-diabetes" versus "diabetes".

In my view, there's no such animal as a "pre-diabetic". Once your automatic blood glucose control starts to slip and you regularly get figures above 100 mg/dL for a fasting figure, it's time to take manual control. For largely political reasons the medical profession don't worry until the figures get a lot worse, more's the pity:(.

A good place to start your study of this condition is Blood Sugar 101 . This site has been prepared by a lady, Jenny Ruhl, who has been diabetic since the mid 1990s and is packed with helpful information - backed up by links to the science behind the suggestions. It's well worth exploring. For instance, this part Misdiagnosis By Design - The Story Behind the ADA Diagnostic Criteria explains some of the background to why a blood glucose of 126 doesn't seem to worry a doctor when (again, just my view) it's an ideal opportunity to grab control.

Another piece of the site to examine is How to Lower Your Blood Sugar I have to say now that the dietary suggestions here run counter to the official standards and have only one thing to recommend them. They work! Or, to be fair, they did for me and for quite a few others on the forum.

On the forum, we got a range of friendly, nosy folk who share a couple of things. They've got diabetes of some form, they all speak English and they are all determined that they will rule the condition and not let the condition ruin their lives. They have a wealth of experience and are more than happy to share their ideas with anyone interested. Please ask any questions that come to you - someone is likely to have an answer or two for you.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Welcome, you only need to reread your post to garner what symptoms you have with D. You have come to the right place for answers. The 100-110 is really border line area and if you had eaten anything at all before the blood test it would have showed up, even a couple of sticks of regular chewing gum.

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much! Whew. I really need some buddies here. May I ask why I am so fatigued, while anxious at the same time? It is especially bad in the mornings. I am usually an energetic person, but not anymore. I drag myself through any activity.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oops, hit the reply button too quickly. Anyhow, feel awful. Feel fine until my levels go above 125 or so. Again, so much fatigue, foggy head, some nausea, no appetite, and pretty weak. Just want to crawl in bed and sleeeeep. I think the anxiety comes from feeling bad and worrying about it. Hate to sound so whinny, but here I am. :) Thanks again!!

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Cindy,

Feeling sleepy and short-tempered describes exactly how I felt two and half years ago. I couldn't be bothered to do anything and concentration? that just didn't exist. So don't feel you're the only one to enjoy these feelings.

The good news is that once you knock your blood glucose back to normal values, the concentration comes back, the sleepiness goes, the good humour re-appears and life becomes worth living again!

Yes, there is a price! And it's simply that we have to get rid of the junk carbohydrates to which we've allowed ourselves to become addicted! And yes, I do mean addicted - just like heroin!

It takes an effort, but once you've cracked it, you may well find that you feel better than you ever did eating a high carbohydrate diet.

Use the forum - there's a wealth of knowledge and experience here - most of it acquired the hard way but the members are more than happy to share that experience without stint!

Come talk to us often - even if it's just a way of letting off steam (politely of course) on something that's bothering you.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi, I am Cindy and I am 54 years old. For years I have had some symptoms of diabetes, but didn't associate my symptoms to the disease. I am 5 feet 5 and weigh 133 pounds. I didn't think I was a candidate for D. However, it does run rampant in my family so I should have been smarter than I was and suspected something.

I would have times when I was nauseated, weak, and shaky and my vision would blur. I had fatigue sometimes. My mornings have always been difficult with nausea, the shakes, and a generally feeling of "ugh".
Sometimes when I would eat *over eat , eat sugar I would literally shake from the insides. So many days I just felt "off".

A few times over the last several months I had some "attacks" with the nausea and shakes. But, they would eventually go away. Then, out of the blue I would become starving and eat everything in the house!

Finally the nausea was ongoing and debilitating. I was so tired I couldn't get out of bed. I thought I was having panic attacks of some sort along with a tummy bug. It got so bad I went to the E.R. They said I had a bug and to go home and rest.

Today I saw my regular doc and she read the E/R report and noted my fasting blood sugar level *blood test was 126. She attributed that to pre diabetes or diabetes. She ordered more blood tests and set me up for a glucose tolerance tests. When I looked back at old blood tests from a test they do at my school yearly (I am a teacher) my fasting blood glucose levels were 100-110. No one said anything.

So, is my doctor right? If 126 is high, why would they ignore it in the E.R. My doc said my nausea, heart rate, sweating, and blurry vision was because of my blood sugar levels.

Just coming here for support and answers. Thank you so very much!

What symptoms can high blood sugar levels give you? I thought I would come to a site that knows this business instead of Googling and finding who knows what.

Thanks so much and happy New Year.
The 126 could be due to your being sick. You may have reactive hypoglycemia or you may have diabetes or prediabetes. The Oral Glucose Tolerance test should pick these up and you will know then.
I was diagnosed due to Cellulitis that kept rearing its ugly head. I have permanent damage to my lower right leg as a result. It was a doctor at a walk-in clinic that caught the diabetes but I had to wait till the Cellulitis was cured and then do an Oral Glucose Tolerance test and another fasting to confirm. I will tell you this you want to eat high carb for several days before the oral glucose tolerance test and definitely not do low carb. I hope they find out what the problem is nand you are able to feel better soon.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Sounds like my fatigue before I was diagnosed as pre-Diabetic. Your A1C test will tell the tale when it comes back. Until then you could lower the carbs in your diet and see if you feel better. Welcome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts