The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out I am a type one diabetic. Not the best news in the world...but I'm coping. Thought I would join a forum and get some info and support. So Hellooooo Everybody!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Just found out I am a type one diabetic. Not the best news in the world...but I'm coping. Thought I would join a forum and get some info and support. So Hellooooo Everybody!
Hello kansan and :welcome: to the forum. There is a wealth of information on here and if you can't find what you are looking for, just do a search. I hope you have time to visit often and take care!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Kansan . . . welcome aboard! We have scads of information & support - make yourself at home & ask all the questions you want. We have many type 1 people here who've spent years polishing their skills in battling diabetes. :D

We're very glad to have you with us - thank you for joining us.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the warm and quick welcomes. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Welcome! I have found this forum very helpful since my diagnosis last august. What insulin are you on? Have you started counting carbs?

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome! I have found this forum very helpful since my diagnosis last august. What insulin are you on? Have you started counting carbs?
I am taking Humalog and Lantus. I have been taking them for 2 weeks now. I take Humalog right before each meal. 10u at breakfast, 9u at lunch, and 8u at dinner. And I take 12u of Lantus before bed. I have been researching carb counting. The 500 rule is what I have been reading . That I take my daily dose of insulin and divide it by 500 to get my insuling to carb ratio. And that tells me how many grams of carbs I can cover per unit of inulin. It's all very confusing still.

G

·
welcome Kansan :) I'm type 2 on full time insulin. It's hard dealing with initial diagnosis of any chronic illness, I remember the feeling. In fact I got diagnosed with another chronic illness recently too... so probably going through all those feelings again. You do get used to everything and you are able to do your best to control your BGLs. I'm sure you will find this forum a great resource and support for you. You quickly realise you're not alone and others here have a clue what you're going through. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Kansan, don't depend so much on the 500 rule. It never worked fo me, and many other other type 1 diabetics have found it is not the best way to get your insulin:carb ratios. Some doctors have their patients start with a 1:15 ratio and the adjust as needed until the right one is found. We are all different, and trial and error is best to get your ratio. I have some insulin resistance so I have a 1:4 ratio before breakfast, and a 1:6 ratio the rest of the day. These ratios can vary during the day.

I have been type 1 for 65 years and am very healthy. Ask all the questions you want, we want to help!

Richard

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Hello from another Kansan!! I'm down in Wichita, love this state. I am alos relatively new to this whole diabetes thing. I was diagnosed 10 months ago this Saturday. It was confusing, scary, daunting and impossible all at the same time. As a result of this board and some other blogs in the diabetic online community and the encouragement of my family and friends, I have very good control now. I hope you come back and visit often. This is a wonderful place and the people here are amazing. Good luck. You will get through this.

·
Live Happy
63 Posts
Welcome

Seems like a great forum just note you are not alone but it's not the end of the world most ofbus lead a normal life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts