The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here, fairly new to diabetes, also. I was diagnosed in July of 2009 with:

Diabetic Ketoacidosis
New-onset Diabetes
Hypertension
Hyperlipidemia

At the time I had no idea what was going on. Never sick a day in my life. Worked hard, played hard, drank 3 gallons of whiskey a month and took no prisoners. In June of 2009 I decided to quit drinking. No medical or problematic reason, just burnt out on it. Did the same thing with drugs and cigarette smoking. I have that luxury of not having an addictive personality. When I'm done with something...I'm done with it, ask my ex-wives! :rolleyes:

In regards to health problems, I did have one thing I couldn't put my finger on. I used to be the type that stuffed themselves at dinner. To the point you could thump my abdomen after dinner like it was an unripe watermelon. 5 years ago I had what I now believe was a pancreatitis attack. All night, until sunrise with intense pain, then at least a week of soreness...like I'd done 1000 sit-ups. I chalked it up to being stoned, eating the whole skillet of home-made Spanish rice and chasing it with 2 Budweiser long-necks. Swore I wouldn't do that again.

6 months later, after eating the whole skillet of Kraft Mac & Cheese...the same thing. Figured I better scratch Mac & Cheese off my list, too. Chalked both episodes up to indigestion. Never sought a medical opinion.

4 more attacks in 2006, more in 2007. In 2008 my feet started to swell and the skin below my knees started looking like fish scales. Chalked that up to too much salt and old age. My diet in those days consisted mostly of carbohydrates, meals and snacks. I'd say...about 80% carb's, 15% protein, 5% fats. Yeah, I know, terrible, huh!

As I mentioned, I quit drinking in June of last year...and boy did my liver come back with a vengeance. It started dumping like someone opened the flood gates. Water started tasting like it had metal in it; urinating constantly; sleep for 90 minutes, up for 30 minutes and then back to sleep; stuff started growin' in the toilet! For about 2 weeks there all that I could eat was cold grapes and drink about a gallon of milk a day. I figured it was just a bug...my body would turn the corner any minute, it always had. I was wrong.

July 4th, 2009 a partner of mine came by and found me nose down in the rug...and it was off to the hospital. 5 hours in the ER. BG? 530 mg/dL HbA1c? 15.3, I was a sick puppy. 5 days in the hospital and released with a diagnosis of DM, insulin dependent. Doctor said my pancreas was no longer producing insulin. That was 16 months ago...today, I'm a lot healthier, and, it seems my pancreas has returned for a rematch. I'm treating it with a bit more respect nowadays. :D

Lantus Solostar 18 units in the AM
Lipitor 20MG
Lisinopril 10MG
Aspirin 81MG
Multi-Vitamin

I'm not exactly living La Vita Low Carb...but my numbers look good enough nowadays (I presume) that I can eat more or less what I please (no sugars)...as long as I don't over do it. FBG numbers...95-105 mg/dL. 1hr after a meal with at most, 40 carbohydrates (a carb' test meal)...120-130mg/dL. 2hrs...105mg/dL. Exercise? I walk 200 yards uphill to the mailbox and back every day except Sunday. Sunday's football. That's about all I can handle as I'm a bit disabled from a series of motorcycle accidents.

So, that's my story, and that's my intro. :wave:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya, Granny! I missed you, too. Thank you for the welcome.

·
Registered
633 Posts
You wouldn't happen to be outspoke in any way shape or form would you. Just kidding I know you are. Glad you are here.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
actually

eating a bowl of mashed potatoes will raise your BG more and faster that eating a bowl of table sugar.

Its the carbs.

Fat and fiber slow the BG rise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey, B'man...good to see you! I think you will have lots to contribute here.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome Bountyman... I quit smoking, and drinking beer 3 weeks ago,(didn't do any drugs), and adopted a pretty strick low carb diet, 2 weeks ago when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. A1C was 8.2 and my first BG I took was 280. In 2 weeks I've lost 8 lbs and my FGB is in the 120's, (been on metformin 2 wks). Metformin really hasn't had time enough to be of a major impact, so I give majority of the credit to the low carb diet. Low carbs will drop you FBG faster than you'll believe.
Pretty easy diet also, (I've done it before and lost @60 lbs...put @40 back on when I started eating junk again), as I like meat, eggs, and cheese, and green veggies. Good Luck !!!

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Bountymanm, welcome to the forums!

please feel free to ask away, no questions too "dumb" or "stupid" imo

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Bountyman, why am I not surprised to see you here? :D You are very, very open about your life. I like that. I hope you settle in here and the waters are calm, without rocking the boat. I am looking forward to your contribution to Diabetes Forum.

Richard

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hey there Bountyman! Looking forward to getting to know you :)

*shakes hand*

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Glad you could make it!

And ... your p'titis attacks remind me of a similar, single bellyache, about 23years ago -- up all night, horrible pain after overeating.

So now I am wondering ... OMG could I have trashed my pancreas, THAT LONG AGO??? I was only dx'd 19 mos ago.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, I know you. From the blue place. Welcome to the red place.:roll:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad you could make it!

And ... your p'titis attacks remind me of a similar, single bellyache, about 23years ago -- up all night, horrible pain after overeating.

So now I am wondering ... OMG could I have trashed my pancreas, THAT LONG AGO??? I was only dx'd 19 mos ago.
That's hard to say since it was so long ago...but it's possible. Yours would have been what's called an acute episode. Mine was chronic as I often repeated what brought it on. Not until I was diagnosed with DM did I accidentally discover what it was in my search for more knowledge about the causes and treatments of DM.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
That's hard to say since it was so long ago...but it's possible. Yours would have been what's called an acute episode. Mine was chronic as I often repeated what brought it on. Not until I was diagnosed with DM did I accidentally discover what it was in my search for more knowledge about the causes and treatments of DM.
Yep, hard to say ... but now I have cause to wonder ...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts