The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

51 yo male Type 2 been on injections for 20 months. Started with my General and was on Glipizide and Metformin, had me testing 5x a day. Moved me to insulin 5 x a day Lantis x2 and humulin R.x3.

Sought out an Endo finally got one and waited to get into his rotation. He changed my testing to AM fasting. Changed my injection routine to x2 am/pm no more Lantus. Humulin N 28U,Humulin R12U infused made things much more simple.

was doing great low readings a1c went from 9 to 7.but now not so good.

I have several other health issues (neuromuscular) that are conflicting with my diabetes, I've also been throwing up daily 3x to 4x daily I went through a upper GI last week and will get results Friday.

I have zero energy right now.. It's a struggle trying to figure this stuff out. I've lived a active healthy life A type personality.

Hoping to get some more insight from the board members.

Tal~

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Wish I could be more help, but all I'm good for in your case is driving a welcome wagon. I'm not on insulin and too much a newbie to be of use, but others who can give input will be along shortly.

In the meantime, glad you're here - welcome!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If I were vomiting 3-4 times a day, I'd have zero energy myself - from dehydration if nothing else . . . stay in close touch with your docs, Tal - you're in a precarious position right now - using insulin but apparently not able to keep food down. This could go south fast, so if there's any doubt in your mind, get to ER, okay?

I'm not on insulin either, but we should soon be hearing from ones who are & who know the dangers better than Moon & I.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello Talon,

Welcome to the forum. I am an insulin user, but pretty new to it. My first question would be Wat are your numbers running, both with the new insulin regime and with the vomiting? you are going to have to be careful there to avoid hypo's

let us know, and we all feel for you

don

G

·
Welcome Tal :) I'm type 2 on insulin full time also. I was diagnosed with functional dyspepsia in March this year from a gastroenterologist. I've been placed on 3 types of drugs to control it and I've been told by the gastro that if I start vomiting I must see a doc straight away because I'm on insulin. Vomiting is just one of the known symptoms that this condition causes. So please if you haven't done so, see your doc! Obviously you are not sure what's going on with your stomach and I was in the same position myself for the past 4 years really... although it got a lot worse in Dec 2009 when I started burping constantly. My daily symptoms in case you're wondering or comparing: upper left quadrant stomach pain, upper stomach burning like fire, acid reflux, nausea, loss of appetite, bloating, constant burping that doesn't stop day or night, periodical unexplained hiccups, diarrhea. Thankfully I have not had the vomiting... although I've been warned by gastro about this (as above). Now I'm on the prescribed drugs which have helped in that I get 1-3 of the above symptoms daily on average, sometimes more or less. I'm still being trialled really though as medical science still hasn't discovered exact cause and treatment for functional dyspepsia. I had the endoscopy and colonoscopy as part of the testing. With diabetes apparently we're more prone to gastroparesis and functional dyspepsia. The difference between the two as explained to me is that with gastroparesis your stomach goes too slow and doesn't empty properly... with functional dyspepsia your stomach can go too slow, too fast, or both... but you can still be left with food in your stomach like with gastroparesis. I should also mention that it was explained to me that both of these conditions are caused by nerves that of course control your muscles and organs. I hope they find out what's going on quickly for you as I know the frustration it causes and how tired it makes you feel. It must be hard when you already have other health issues to contend with too (I'm the same actually). I'm sure you will find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.... and please see your doc as vomiting that much is pretty serious.... you really can't leave this unattended.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Friends,

Thanks for the tips and well wishes.

A little more about myself.

*Cardiac stint Dec 2004
*Hi BP controlled with meds
*Hi Cholesterol controlled with meds. Have trouble keeping good cholesterol up
*HPKPP genetic gift. In a nut shell Neuromuscular disease, potassium levels crash causing complete paralysis that requires ICU care. Insulin is the enemy it's the carrier in moving potassium from blood stream to muscles
*Gall bladder removed Nov 2010 quit painful when it showed up.

Onlymep..
Your post interests me, sound similar. When I vomit it's not stomach contents per-se. but allot of mucous / phlegm with the force of dry heaves at times.

Had a camera sent down my gullet last week with a biopsy taken, see my Dr. tomorrow to discuss results.

Tal~

G

·
Hello Friends,

Thanks for the tips and well wishes.

A little more about myself.

*Cardiac stint Dec 2004
*Hi BP controlled with meds
*Hi Cholesterol controlled with meds. Have trouble keeping good cholesterol up
*HPKPP genetic gift. In a nut shell Neuromuscular disease, potassium levels crash causing complete paralysis that requires ICU care. Insulin is the enemy it's the carrier in moving potassium from blood stream to muscles
*Gall bladder removed Nov 2010 quit painful when it showed up.

Onlymep..
Your post interests me, sound similar. When I vomit it's not stomach contents per-se. but allot of mucous / phlegm with the force of dry heaves at times.

Had a camera sent down my gullet last week with a biopsy taken, see my Dr. tomorrow to discuss results.

Tal~
You have a fair bit going on there Tal.... I'm just wondering if your existing neuromuscular condition is also affecting your stomach? If the test results show no 'organic' reason, don't give up. It took some time before I got an answer for my stomach problem. I'm sure you're very much anticipating an answer tomorrow.... I wish you the best and I'm hoping they have an answer from that test for you. There's nothing like putting a name to what you're experiencing at the very least.... then you can get the treatment part figured out. When I mentioned I'm still being trialled... one of the drugs they're treating me with is an anti-depressant to try and calm the nerves controlling my stomach. I'm now on my third anti-depressant drug and I'm being trialled for 2 weeks on that. My body doesn't seem to agree with them for some reason... the first one made my hypos with diabetes last for hours, the last one I was one gave me a terrible reaction and my doc put me off work for a week to recuperate. The current one I'm on is better but I'm getting a lot of nerve pain still, and I have to say I don't like the heightened alertness it gives and I don't feel right in the head (as in fuzzy, concentration all over the place, headaches). I have to take sleeping pills just to go to sleep. I'm seeing docs all the time at the moment for monitoring. Fun & games.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Like you and Onlymep I had all those symptoms as well, diagnosed with gastroparesis, but the first test they did was the gastric emptying. That shows how quickly your stomach empties initially. Because they found my stomach was emptying so slowly I am now waiting to be scheduled for a scope to make sure there is no blockage.
The meds help with the symptoms but there is no cure for the damaged nerve causing the issues so my stomach still empties very slowly and quite unpredictably. At least I'm not just sick all the time but still battle with the insulin because of it and it will most likely always be that way.

I'm so tired of the crashes that I'm guilty of simply not eating, Or eating just enough in the morning and evening to take my oral meds, so I don't have to take the fast acting since I can't seem to coordinate the stomach schedule with the insulin.

G

·
I'm so tired of the crashes that I'm guilty of simply not eating, Or eating just enough in the morning and evening to take my oral meds, so I don't have to take the fast acting since I can't seem to coordinate the stomach schedule with the insulin.
yeah I'm the same Amy... it's so unpredictable when you take insulin as to what you're going to get. I can crash within an hour lately and on the other hand I can shoot up to 13 (234) or something like that. I have to say that sometimes I'm worried I haven't eaten enough. I really don't like it when I have to eat several times because I'm crashing, but I'm not even hungry. It makes it tricky to take insulin and keep BGLs in control.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I find that if I'm true to my meal snack medication insulin injections I hardly crash/or spike. It's when my schedule gets interrupted even slightly It becomes an old school Disneyland E ticket ride.. Unfortunately my family has a hard time grasping it. lol

Saw the doctor cant remember what he called things I have it written down in the wifes planner.. But I have bile coming into the stomach, and my Esophagus is inflamed. So I'm on 2 new medicines one to neutralize the stomach acid X1 a day. The other is to coat the stomach walls x4 a day as soon as I get them filled I'll tell you what they are.

One more question do any of you have constant ringing in your ears? I do..

G

·
I find that if I'm true to my meal snack medication insulin injections I hardly crash/or spike. It's when my schedule gets interrupted even slightly It becomes an old school Disneyland E ticket ride.. Unfortunately my family has a hard time grasping it. lol

Saw the doctor cant remember what he called things I have it written down in the wifes planner.. But I have bile coming into the stomach, and my Esophagus is inflamed. So I'm on 2 new medicines one to neutralize the stomach acid X1 a day. The other is to coat the stomach walls x4 a day as soon as I get them filled I'll tell you what they are.

One more question do any of you have constant ringing in your ears? I do..
well it sounds like your doc has figured things out then which is good.... I'm thinking you could have what Shanny has mentioned too. My medications for my stomach currently are: a proton pump inhibitor called esomeprazole, an antidopaminergic drug called domperidone, and a serotin uptake inhibitor called desvenlafaxine (being trialled on that one). They all have side effects.... I'm pretty sure one of them is "ringing in the ears". So if you're already on other meds, just check the side effects to see if it's listed. If you can't find it as a side effect to anything you're currently taking, you could have something else going on there... such as congestion, infection, etc. Get it checked out with your doc if you're concerned. Sometimes I find blood pressure changes can make my ears ring too... not sure if you find this?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts