The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
664 Posts
Welcome.

Hello Tony, You have been though the mill haven't you. :( I too have eye probs in the right eye and a stroke 2 and a half year ago but I am happy that the stroke is not Servere enough to have some Permanent disability. Your hobbies are interesting as I have a full call amateur radio operator too as I have to do something about getting the hardware back in the sky.

I was diagnosed at the age of 10 in 1971 right in the middle of ballet and pencil thin!!. :(

· Registered
664 Posts

I was also 10, different year, summer of 74. I don't know of any age that's "good" for being diagnosed, but 10 seems to be a really bad age, doesn't it? Mom noticed that I was drinking alot, going to the restroom alot, and losing weight. Oklahoma's summers are rather hot, so she could've ignored the signs and thought nothing of it, but she knew something was wrong, so she made the appointment with my Dr. The Dr said it was fortunate she did for I was about "1 week from going into a coma". That was the days of test tape and the little kits with the eye dropper and the glass tube (I think I've still got mine somewhere). I didn't get my first glucometer until sometime in 78 or 79. They did have the insulin pump, but my Dr vetoed that because he had put one of his patients on it and she had died. He said he would never put another of his patients on the pump.
Hey you sound like me when I was diagnosed, And I was in ballet too. :( as being thin is desirable and did I eat!!!! :eek: So good & bad memories back then and I had the Clinic Test kit too and just about always royal blue and that giant hyperaemic syringes. :eek::eek::eek:

· Registered
664 Posts

Lack of appetite was never one of my problems lol. I was a fat baby, and have always been on the plump side, except for my high school years, I weighed 115 soaking wet. That was because school was about a mile away and I didn't want to ride the school bus, so I walked or rode a bicycle.
I guess I get so rapt over the art of dancing I can raise a sweat at the barre but not anymore as the 70's did not have the wonderful BG meters then so now I just dream and Fat and in control. :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.