The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Hello Tony: :)

It's Nice to meet you. Sorry about your eye, Neuropathy and Arthritis. One of our Friends had a glass eye put in recently. They attached it to the muscles so it moves just like a real one. He drives a truck in Canada but is not allowed to drive it over the border in the U.S. because of his eye. I like your patch anyways.

Great hobbies that you have there. You use a straight razor?? :eek: Ummm....Careful with that, eh? ;)

Those are Great photos of your Grandfathers. Finding out about our Ancestors is Amazing. Interesting that you went to school with your relatives. For sure, you never know. (I did leave a message but both times it said there was an error. So, I doubt if it went through).

How do you like using the pump?

Welcome! Good Luck with getting on disability. I was on it some years ago for severe RA. I went off of it about 6 years ago.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi There Tony:

Ya, I was going to say that you looked similar to your Grandfather Daniel. :)

You mean Accu-chek gives Insulin pumps and accessories at a low cost or free to Diabetics if they qualify? If so, that's Awesome! Is there a Special link? I just saw the free upgrade but you have to have had a pump already to upgrade from. Many do not. I'm Glad you got another pump.

Ugh! That's frustrating when they stall court cases for nothing. Well, don't give up and for heaven's sakes.....don't die......just to spite them. ;) :D

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi Terrie,
Yes, Accu-Check/Disetronic does have a financial need based program, I'm even getting my supplies (test strips,lancets, adhesive wipes, a non-latex based adhesive (sets don't stick well to my skin),plus infusion sets) sent every month. . No special link, just call them up and explain your situation and they will put you through to a rep.

That is Really Great for People. I hadn't heard of Accu-check supplying the pumps. That is Excellent for those who want/need them.

Our government supplies free pumps/accessories for Diabetics who can't afford them in my Province.

As for me, my Husband's work Insurance totally covers a pump/accessories, all drugs, whatever we need, thank God. I'm still sitting on the fence about going on the pump ride though. I did make an appointment with the Pump Instructor at my Hospital, to see what she has to say.

To me the pump seems like more problems than not, from what I've heard from pumpers the last 8 years. But most say that they love their pumps....I don't get. It's not logical. I do not like and have no patience for gadgets that malfunction(granted some People have smooth sailing with their pump).

If she's a Good "salesperson", I'll get a pump. If not, I won't. I find syringes so easy, I don't mind shots, my sugars are decent, I've had no complications for a long time(that we know of...touch wood). Sorry that I'm so negative about this. I definitely need some reverse psychology. Anyways, we'll see....... ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the pumps from Accu-chek.

freebird said:
LOL don't worry,I don't have any plans on dying to spite them just yet lol. Tony
Good Show Tony. I'm Happy to hear it. :D

· Registered
1,078 Posts
That is indeed unfortunate that your Diabetes is harder to control. We sure are not all the same when it comes to diseases although many Drs.(still think) and many People feel that we should all fit into the same box. NOT!

Awww!! I'm sorry to hear that your Mom has Alzheimers and that you's are all going through this with her. That sounds like a really sad and scary disease, for the Person affected and hard on the Family.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Hi: :)

Yes, I know what you mean. Worst diseases have a way of making Diabetes look pretty lean. My Dad died at age 80. He had severe RA for about 12 years and Dementia later. Dementia is not as Bad(his had not progressed too far) as Alzheimers but it certainly is similar. Hopefully you and your Dad are accepting your Mom being placed in a home, okay. Also I hope that you and your Dad stay close.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Terrie said:
My Dad died at age 80. He had severe RA for about 12 years and Dementia later. Dementia is not as Bad(his had not progressed too far) as Alzheimers but it certainly is similar.
Sorry Tony, I should have researched it. Since his had not progressed too far before he died, his appeared mild to me compared to the cases of Alzheimer's I have seen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.