The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I just got the results of my most-recent HbA1c ... 6.0% even.

Not quite in the 5% club... So I obviously have a little more work to do, and will look at dropping my carbs another 20% (from 100-150g daily to around 80g -120g per day) and see what that does.

Good results though, my doctor is thrilled beyond belief.

I'd probably still be 11 or 12% if I ate the way the dietitian told me to, lol...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Terrific! Next time maybe we'll both slip into the 5% club. Way to go, Beefy!

OK, so I just got the results of my most-recent HbA1c ... 6.0% even.

Not quite in the 5% club... So I obviously have a little more work to do, and will look at dropping my carbs another 20% (from 100-150g daily to around 80g -120g per day) and see what that does.

Good results though, my doctor is thrilled beyond belief.

I'd probably still be 11 or 12% if I ate the way the dietitian told me to, lol...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need to figure out a way to stop the liver-dumping to get there, methinks... That seems my biggest issue.

Testing is showing it happens multiple times a night (I go down to 4.0(72) or so, then dump up) and it's even happening in-between meals now... (I'm dropping to 4.0 (72) or so within a couple hours of meals quite often, then dumping back up to a 6.5 (117) or so which REALLY sucks if I hit that level just before a meal.)

The oddest part is mornings. If I go any longer than 6 hours of fasting, I will just keep dumping HIGHER AND HIGHER. I might start out at a 4.8 (87), but if I don't eat soon I'll be a 6.2 (112)... then if I stay in bed say 8 hours instead of 6 or 7, I'll be like a 7.5 (135) ... the longer I fast, the higher it goes... when I have a cold/flu or whatever, it gets even higher, especially in the mornings. My body apparently does NOT like to fast.

... and don't get me started about how fast I burn my glucose during exercise... I can dump to 6.5 (117) and then drop to 4.0 in 6-7 minutes TOPS. I'll dump even higher than 6.5 (117) too if I'm doing hill-climbing or interval training, or something more intense than my normal roadwork...

I think I'm going to start adding MORE fat into my diet to see if it helps slow digestion/absorption of my calories...

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
6 is a great number. I think most doctors would be pleased with that. I probably do 40-60 carbs a day, but sometimes find that adding a few carbs at the right time of day can actually decrease my bgs. I usually do this with the sprouted grain bread. I think it forces my insulin to start producing again.

G

·
congrats on your HbA1c result Beefy :D that's a great number.

I'd gladly swap my nights with yours... well sort of. I have low readings at night which is I think what helps my HbA1c look better. But I've always been >7 for my results... so my last one was 6.6 which was the best yet for me... in fact the best I've ever had which I was really happy with. I'm hoping to be even lower next test... but going by my rollercoaster rides lately I'm not sure that will happen.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Fantastic results!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think the liver dumping plagues many of us. I actually had to start adding more food to my diet to stop the liver dumps. This keeps my bgs pretty stable. I am not seeing many numbers below 90, but I don't see many numbers above 110 either, so I keep them in a tight range. I always carry food with me, too because if I go more than 4 hours without eating I get a liver dumps. They are not as large as the used to be, but they are still there. I also think you have to figure out how exercise enters into the picture. The days I do heavy exercise the next morning I am usually much higher. Wether this is from liver dumps, too much growth hormone or what I don't know.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Yeah, I got a lot of exercise yesterday and was disappointed to be running higher today. Based on this, if I was beefy (congrats on your numbers beefy!), I'd be running, oh ... 700 or so.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I think the liver dumping plagues many of us. I actually had to start adding more food to my diet to stop the liver dumps. This keeps my bgs pretty stable.
So this may be what I'm seeing today, eh? I ate a bigger meal at dinner & bumped my BG up too far, but it scuttled the liver dump. Hmmm . . . if I wanted a second burrito last night, I shoulda had filling without the tortilla - maybe that woulda dumped the "dump" without the bump, y'think? :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The problem is that it is a fine balance. You need to feed the liver just a small amount so it is satisfied without spiking you. A lot of times I may find I am a touch higher on the 1 hours number but then much lower on the 2 hour number when I eat something like Eziekel bread. The worst meal for me is a plain salad. Even though I am full, my liver thinks I am starving and will usually kick in extra glucose. When my liver kicks in, then watch out, it can spike 30-40 points sometimes. Usually at meals I rarely spike 20-30 points.

G

·
the question I was just wondering... does your liver run short on the glucose if you keep having hypos and it has to dump? I hope not... but I'm still wondering why my doc says that some diabetics get to a point where their liver no longer dumps and that is where things can get dangerous.
Also the other thing is what effect does it have on your brain if your liver is dumping to save you all the time?
It must fatigue you... I'm definitely feeling that at the moment but given I have a few things going on that could cause that too.
Just a thought :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the question I was just wondering... does your liver run short on the glucose if you keep having hypos and it has to dump? I hope not... but I'm still wondering why my doc says that some diabetics get to a point where their liver no longer dumps and that is where things can get dangerous.
Also the other thing is what effect does it have on your brain if your liver is dumping to save you all the time?
It must fatigue you... I'm definitely feeling that at the moment but given I have a few things going on that could cause that too.
Just a thought :)
It is possible to become completely glycogen-depleted, but usually only through exhaustive endurance exercise without enough carbohydrate to support it.

It's not uncommon to see this happen during marathon or triathlon events. The symptoms experienced by non-diabetic athletes are very similar to hypoglycemia, because that's what glycogen-depletion to those extremes will cause.

There are some people I've read about in other forums that mention TRYING to maintain a state of lowered glycogen reserves simply to avoid liver dump complications. With my exercise routine that's impossible.

G

·
It is possible to become completely glycogen-depleted, but usually only through exhaustive endurance exercise without enough carbohydrate to support it.

It's not uncommon to see this happen during marathon or triathlon events. The symptoms experienced by non-diabetic athletes are very similar to hypoglycemia, because that's what glycogen-depletion to those extremes will cause.

There are some people I've read about in other forums that mention TRYING to maintain a state of lowered glycogen reserves simply to avoid liver dump complications. With my exercise routine that's impossible.
hmmm.... I'm thinking I'm understanding a lot more clearly why hypos are not good for us. Would be nice if we could hook ourselves up to auto glucose pump when needed... but we have to be able to do that ourselves for now.
Yeah the exercise would deplete you for sure. But I'm thinking that if you keep having hypos that would be depleting you too. That's been my problem. I guess anyone having regular liver dumps that would be a problem too? The question is how to avoid the dreaded liver dump... I don't think any of us have found the answer that definitely works 100% as yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts