The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do i have diabetes?

hi, im new here and just decided to make a profile because after reading some threads, i have now self-diagnosis myself with some sort of diabetes.

my symptoms are as followed:
1. urinating quite a lot
2. thirst
3. very tired!
4. sometimes nausea/vomits in the morning after waking up

now number 4 is a weird one. i wake up nausea and then sometimes (not all the time) proceed to vomit. i usually feel way better by mid-day. i haven't read for sure if this is a related symptom but wanted to ask if anyone else has had this.

im very irritable and sometimes very depressed as well. any thoughts?

·
Registered
799 Posts
:welcome:Welcome to the forum, HayJune!

The first three symptoms can be related to diabetes, the fourth I also am not so sure. At the risk of stepping on my tongue (which happens quite often), is it possible you're pregnant? Please take no offense to the question... we are a very nosy group when it comes to helping fellow members deal with diabetes and the more information we have, the better we relate to a member's symptoms.

Since you have not seen a doctor to be diagnosed, you can check your own blood for glucose levels (which is what the doctor will do) by getting a glucose meter and some strips. I believe that Seattle has a WalMart or two so go to the WalMart pharmacy and buy a Relion Prime meter (about $18) and a package of 50 strips ($9). You may need to buy a lancing device... I don't remember if the Prime comes with one (make sure you have a few lancets as well). Test your blood glucose levels in the morning when you first get up; before each meal; one hour after each meal; two hours after each meal; and just before bed. Although the meter will keep the readings in the device, I recommend writing them down so you can see at a glance the patterns that emerge.

As diabetics, we strive to stay below 140 at all times which includes the 1 and 2 hour readings after a meal. 2 hour reading we try to stay below 120. The readings before your meals should be in a 'normal' range which we like to have below 100. Having said that, my normal reading is usually between 100 and 110... everybody is different.

Once you have a full day's readings, come back here and post them for us. We'll be able to comment on what we think might be happening with those readings... who knows... you may not be diabetic at all (I hope).

Others will be along with additional comments but the above is my advice!

Best wishes to you and Welcome! :welcome:

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Follow Steve's advice and go get a meter/strips/lancing device. Start testing yourself when you waken in the morning. Test again before you eat a meal and test twice after that meal - first at one hour after your first bite and again at two hours after your first bite. Log all of these readings along with what and how much you ate. The meter readings will give you a good idea of what's going on, and if you wish, we can help you analyze them.

Welcome to DF. And forgive Steve for mentioning pregnancy - that was my first thought too. :p

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
Hi and welcome!

I second the suggestion of getting a meter and testing.

As for No 4...it could be related. Just another way the body clears excess glucose. I was vomiting so bad at DX that I started vomiting blood. If it is related you're probably pretty high so the sooner you can eliminate/confirm D the better

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hi and Welcome.

I'm wondering, if your symptoms have been occurring for some time, why you haven't seen a doctor?

Good advice given above re getting a meter and testing.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi and Welcome.

I'm wondering, if your symptoms have been occurring for some time, why you haven't seen a doctor?

Good advice given above re getting a meter and testing.

Good Luck
yes, they have been. being tired a lot is getting worse as well. i have not seen a doctor yet because of scheduling reasoning and to be honest, kinda afraid of what i'll hear.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
yes, they have been. being tired a lot is getting worse as well. i have not seen a doctor yet because of scheduling reasoning and to be honest, kinda afraid of what i'll hear.
I know the feeling, but with regard to diabetes, the longer you wait, the worse it could be - catching diabetes early is half the battle. Find out now, and we can get on with controlling it, cuz we can teach you all the tricks! :hug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
By any chance has this come with any weight loss? Or, ravenous appetite and eating large quantities of food, accompanied by no weight gain?
no i haven't noticed any weight lost. have noticed that i actually have a decreased appetite.

·
Registered
617 Posts
no i haven't noticed any weight lost. have noticed that i actually have a decreased appetite.
Please have this checked out a.s.a.p.!
The last few days before my diagnosis I didn't want to eat anything, just drink. Ended up in DKA in a bad way because I was too stubborn to go see the doc.
Take care and keep us updated.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts