The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a 30 year old mother of a 9 yr old. ive been diagnosed in 2010 when i was 26 with type 2 diabetes. my a1c was 10.?% and my creatinine was 6.1. i had gestational diabetes and then type 2 after the pregnancy. and diabetes runs in my family.

now 4 years later, my a1c is 6.8% and my creatinine is 2.7.

i really need help with diet and such. im 270lbs and only 4 foot 11 inches. im on some psychiatric meds as well as diabetes meds. here is a list of my meds and doses for everything i take:

diabetes-
metformin 1000mg x 2/day
levemir (long acting insulin) 45 u per night/ 40 u morning
humalog 1 u per 10g of carbs plus correction if needed

im on candesartan 4mg that was used for blood pressure but now my blood pressure is 100/60 but we continue it for the protein in the urine.

psych meds -
abilify 2mg/day
risperidone 3mg x 2/day
effexor 37.5mg x 2/day
clonazepam 1.5mg/night
adderall 30mg/morning

i drink alot of coffee with creamer and natural sweetner like stevia. about 4 cups a day. im trying to increase my water. i have no exercise whatsoever. my muscles decreased in strength in my lower back and now i have no muscles to take long walks or even walk a block without severe muscle tightening and pain/pressure on lower back. i desperately want to walk but cant. any suggestion about weight loss exercises that doesnt require walking?

any other suggestions would be great!

by the way im in canada :) cheers!

biggest fear is dying young and missing out on my sons life. help?

·
Banned
164 Posts
Eating low carb will help you to loose weight. I found weight loss was the greatest contributor to lowering my blood sugar to normal numbers.

Don't know about the meds but others will offer great advice.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Eating low carb is the best way to control blood sugar. The weight loss will follow as a natural effect of eating LCHF. Here is a great link to get you started in regards to gaining excellent blood sugar control, and this link explains low carb, high fat eating.

Once you are able to drop your blood sugar through low carb eating (which has an almost immediate effect in most people), you will start to see what a great effect it does have. Watch your insulin doses while dropping your carb level.

:welcome:

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi im new here and this is my first post/reply. as far as walking i feel bad for you. i can tell you this though. any amount of anything can help. even if you just take short walks to the end of the house and back or even just standing up every couple of minutes. or even lifting your legs up well sitting in a chair. also holding your arms out and trying to fly like a bird (very slowly). i know it may sound silly but it may be worth trying. best wishes, jeff

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Muscle tone is so important, and soooo tough to regain. Sit-down exercises have been around for a long time, but it hasn't always been easy to get much info. I just did a Google search, and was delighted to find there's a lot more out there now!

This group of 8 exercises looked like the best from the top page.

I don't know if you have an eating plan, or if you were ever given one. Some diabetics get little info at all, while others get advice that simply doesn't work.

Most of us eat low-carb, high-fat (LCHF). We strictly limit (or completely remove) grains, sugars and most root veggies and fruits from our diets ... and we add in fat so we do not go hungry. LCHF is great for weight loss, and can be a (literal) lifesaver for diabetics!

The link below has lots of info on LCHF:

Low-Carb, High-Fat (LCHF) for Beginners

Please read a lot, ask lots of questions and ... most of all ... please keep us posted!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow, i didnt think i would get so many replies that fast...thanks guys! im going to look at the low carb high fat. how would i do my insulin then, for those of you on insulin, do you find you dont have to take it sometimes? i know if my blood is below 5 mmol i dont take insulin, or if my meal is less than 30 carbs i dont take it either.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Most insulin users are on both a basal and a bolus (rapid) insulin.

I always have to take my basal insulin, no matter what. My need for bolus varies. If I eat strictly on plan, I don't take any bolus. Every once in a while I'll get a "mystery spike," and then I'll take a corrective bolus dose, but those are extremely rare.

My goal is to avoid taking bolus if humanly possible.

Reactions: MAO and Shanny

·
Senior Senior Member
1,008 Posts
Welcome K!

I have arthritis of the hips and knees, as well as advancing spinal stenosis, so I've had several rounds of PT to try to stay as fit as possible. Swimming is my favorite.

Besides swimming, I've found the following exercises helpful:
Lower Back Stretches - Lower Back Flexibility Exercises - PhysioAdvisor
Hip Stabilizers [21 - 40] - Fitness.com
Workout Plan: Back and Neck - Fitness.com
No matter how busy my life is, I always fit in the cat stretches and hip bridges.

Staying on the low carb, high fat diet has kept me off diabetes drugs, and I'm hoping that that continues.

There are many of us here who struggle with depression and its variants, so there is plenty of support for that, too. You'll find that this forum is full of real life experts on a wide variety of problems, mostly related to diabetes, but not just. We have people who have scientific, life experience, and/or philosophical knowledge. There are many here to give out hugs as needed, too. Real support for real people.

We're glad you're here--we're all here to help each other.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Welcome to the last forums you will ever need lol! You will hear a LOT about Low Carb High Fat WOE (way of eating) I started out on insulin and thanks to diet, and recently I started to exercise a LOT more, I am on the right path to a long life and with the help of these people you too will be, This is only step one. My only request, understand it is ultimately up to you, if you stumble which we all do, just know when you reach out your hand to get back up, there are a LOT of great people on here that will be there to help, just ask! :)

Reactions: Shalynne

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
seems like you all are awesome. since im on disability due to my mental illnesses, i cant afford physiotherapy for my back. but there are alot of online stuff i can learn how to do. i will check those links out. thanks. and i looked over the entire website of dietdoctor and i realized everything it says to avoid, i have been eating. soooo big lifestyle change for me coming up lol.

·
Registered
370 Posts
im a 30 year old mother of a 9 yr old. ive been diagnosed in 2010 when i was 26 with type 2 diabetes. my a1c was 10.?% and my creatinine was 6.1. i had gestational diabetes and then type 2 after the pregnancy. and diabetes runs in my family.

now 4 years later, my a1c is 6.8% and my creatinine is 2.7.

i really need help with diet and such. im 270lbs and only 4 foot 11 inches. im on some psychiatric meds as well as diabetes meds. here is a list of my meds and doses for everything i take:

diabetes-
metformin 1000mg x 2/day
levemir (long acting insulin) 45 u per night/ 40 u morning
humalog 1 u per 10g of carbs plus correction if needed

im on candesartan 4mg that was used for blood pressure but now my blood pressure is 100/60 but we continue it for the protein in the urine.

psych meds -
abilify 2mg/day
risperidone 3mg x 2/day
effexor 37.5mg x 2/day
clonazepam 1.5mg/night
adderall 30mg/morning

i drink alot of coffee with creamer and natural sweetner like stevia. about 4 cups a day. im trying to increase my water. i have no exercise whatsoever. my muscles decreased in strength in my lower back and now i have no muscles to take long walks or even walk a block without severe muscle tightening and pain/pressure on lower back. i desperately want to walk but cant. any suggestion about weight loss exercises that doesnt require walking?

any other suggestions would be great!

by the way im in canada :) cheers!

biggest fear is dying young and missing out on my sons life. help?
Here is a catch 22 the meds you are on or some can raise blood sugars. Do a search on the meds you are on for psych meds and find which of those raise or even cause type 2. Some do and some do not but many of them can raise numbers. Carbs turn to sugar, reducing them you will lose weight. This has done wonders for many. :eek:

·
Senior Senior Member
1,008 Posts
i looked over the entire website of dietdoctor and i realized everything it says to avoid, i have been eating. soooo big lifestyle change for me coming up lol.
I've been here since December, and I'm still throwing away food that I bought before I took up eating this way. I used to bake lots of bread and other goodies, so I had four kinds of wheat, plus wheat gluten, as well as oats, sorghum, teff, and rice flours. I had been switching to gluten free, but apparently that's not good enough for us. We're so special! ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
wow, i didnt think i would get so many replies that fast...thanks guys! im going to look at the low carb high fat. how would i do my insulin then, for those of you on insulin, do you find you dont have to take it sometimes? i know if my blood is below 5 mmol i dont take insulin, or if my meal is less than 30 carbs i dont take it either.
You have to be able to test, testing will let you know. When you cut carbs you will cut how much sugar enters your body. So its less sugar and less insulin but testing is a must. Please learn from these folks now, do not let the medical field control you. You can not only lose weight but get feeling better, this has worked for millions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts