The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please be patient hehe

Hi Ho everybody,

I am new to this forum. Mostly happy person despite the health issues. I will go, and post questions on the appropriate boards, but wanted to give a short bio here first:

My name is Mike, I have been diagnosed with type two about 12 years ago then recently I guess type one and insulin dependent, but it is debatable. It isn't much fun, but I do like to race street bikes on the weekends <-- that is really fun. I am trying to stay young but feeling my age creeping up everyday.

I look forward to meeting all of you, and am hoping to make some new friends.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello and welcome, Mike. Just for the record, people with type 2 often need to go on insulin, but it doesn't turn them into type 1s, they're called insulin-dependent type 2. Hope that helps in the debate. You're still type 2! ;)

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
What Shanny said! It is no problem and not a failure on your part to need insulin. You are still Type 2 though. I hope you come back often. We are glad you're here.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Please be patient hehe

Hi Ho everybody,

I am new to this forum. Mostly happy person despite the health issues. I will go, and post questions on the appropriate boards, but wanted to give a short bio here first:

My name is Mike, I have been diagnosed with type two about 12 years ago then recently I guess type one and insulin dependent, but it is debatable. It isn't much fun, but I do like to race street bikes on the weekends <-- that is really fun. I am trying to stay young but feeling my age creeping up everyday.

I look forward to meeting all of you, and am hoping to make some new friends.

Cheers,
Mike
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum! There is a lot of information to read on the forum. Read what interests you and if you can't find something, do a search on the white box on the forum page. I hope you have time to join us often. BTW, I am T2 and on insulin and I am still T2. Take care.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Mike - welcome to the forum. I hope you'll find answers to most of your questions - there's so much information here, and a wealth of experience to draw on.

I do like to race street bikes on the weekends <-- that is really fun. I am trying to stay young but feeling my age creeping up everyday.
I just gotta ask - what age is creeping up on you? I was shocked when I turned 25 (a bloody quarter of a century!?) - that was just yesterday and somehow overnight I became 60.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. Diabetes has always scared me. I have been dianosed many years ago, and it is still not easy for me to take. I wish I can come to peace with it somehow. I am the type of person that is really independent. I don't like relying on others and with this I really have to rely on lots of others. That is the hardest thing I think for me to take.

Also it seems out of all of my friends, I am the only one with diabetes that I am aware of. That is really hard because I don't have anybody to bounce things off of nor have I ever. My friends just don't understand what it's like.

Anyway moon to answer your question I am 44 years old.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
When you say the hardest part is having to rely on others, what do you mean? You mean doctors? Resources for information?

I'm pretty independent also, and haven't seen my diabetes as changing that at all. I have macular degeneration, and as that advances it will certainly rob me of my independence and is terrifying. Losing functional sight will affect management of my diabetes (food prep, testing, etc) - but diabetes itself? Naw ... it interferes with independence far less than other things (like working for example...)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi and :welcome: from me too. I'm 45 and was diagnosed about 3months ago now.

Nice to meet you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean mostly I need to worry about drugs. Like insulin I constantly run out because I can't make it to the pharmacy or the insurance company will only pay for 1 this month and 5 another month. I can't order too much for reserves just in case.

It is hard for me to be dependent on something I can't just go get when I need it.

As it is I pay over 500 dollars a month on drugs (With insurance). That will all go away if I get laid off, so I am super dependent on my job and that scares the hell out of me.

I have talked to my doctors about this problem, and they tell me I might be depressed and offer me more drugs. "I am telling you, I can't afford to pay what I am paying now!" Then they scare me by telling me that this is essential for me to live. Then shove me out of the office.

Sorry might be a little deep for the bio thread.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Ah - I understand. Yeah, diabetes is an expensive disease and that's scary. Although I don't know much about insulin and what programs are available, if the worst happens and you lose your job there are always resources available. Something would work out. There are clinics and assistance programs from drug companies, etc.

Diabetes is an annoying thing - time-consuming and expensive, but as a newly-dx'ed person myself, I'm trusting with time it will seem less interfering than just a part of me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Mike! I'm Linda... and I'll be 44 in July. I was diagnosed in 1989 as T2. First of all, if you were to lose your job and insurance, drug companies will assist you for little or no cost at all depending on what your total household income is... it just involves getting signed statements from your physicians and other paperwork. I had to do that for awhile when I was going to school and not working. So maybe that will give you a small peace of mind.

Secondly.... Welcome!!! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts