The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background - I am 30 years old, have no family history of diabetes, and my BMI has been in the "overweight" (I did hit low-obese at 2 points pre diets) range pretty much the past 10 years. I just had a baby 3 months ago and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 24 weeks and was diet controlled. I just took the OGTT and my fasting came back at 82, but my 2 hour was 193. My OB and endocrinologist were both surprised saying how extremely rare it is for GD (especially diet controlled) to lead to Type 2 (or close enough to 200!). I've been so upset the past week trying to wrap my head around how this happened. I have a few questions - if you could answer any of them it would be SO appreciated!

-How do they know I am pre-type 2 and not type 1?
-Should I continue following the GD diet (15 carb snacks, 30-45 carb meals) or is a type 2 diet different?
-Is there any way to reverse this 193 number on my OGTT or it will just progressively get worse?
-I can't find any info on the typical progression of controlled Diabetes over a life span?
-My endocrinologist told me to consider Metformin to fight Diabetes as quickly as possible but I'm nervous that I will forever be stuck on this pill when I know I can handle a strict diet and exercise regimen - any advice?
-My glucometer is reading around 90-95 1-hour post-meals (approx 30 carbs). Is this okay or am I eating too few carbs?

Thank you thank you thank you!

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I'm no doctor but would say you are diabetic, but with your history I'd guess that you will do well eating low carb/high fat diet. You are eating too many carbs for the whole day...I eat fewer than 30 for the whole day...many days less than 20 and no meds. Check out our recipes and introduction posts and see how others are doing it. Also, www. bloodsugar101.com will tell you more than your doctor will know! So time spent there will be worth it.

Good luck, and hug that babies neck for me!

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
A little background - I am 30 years old, have no family history of diabetes, and my BMI has been in the "overweight" (I did hit low-obese at 2 points pre diets) range pretty much the past 10 years. I just had a baby 3 months ago and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 24 weeks and was diet controlled. I just took the OGTT and my fasting came back at 82, but my 2 hour was 193. My OB and endocrinologist were both surprised saying how extremely rare it is for GD (especially diet controlled) to lead to Type 2 (or close enough to 200!). I've been so upset the past week trying to wrap my head around how this happened. I have a few questions - if you could answer any of them it would be SO appreciated! -How do they know I am pre-type 2 and not type 1? -Should I continue following the GD diet (15 carb snacks, 30-45 carb meals) or is a type 2 diet different? -Is there any way to reverse this 193 number on my OGTT or it will just progressively get worse? -I can't find any info on the typical progression of controlled Diabetes over a life span? -My endocrinologist told me to consider Metformin to fight Diabetes as quickly as possible but I'm nervous that I will forever be stuck on this pill when I know I can handle a strict diet and exercise regimen - any advice? -My glucometer is reading around 90-95 1-hour post-meals (approx 30 carbs). Is this okay or am I eating too few carbs? Thank you thank you thank you!
Hi and welcome!

First thing is to relax and take a deep breath. You've come to the right place.

So let's see where we can help. You're not bad off right now. If you keep eating the way you are, that will change. The diet you've been given is the standard diabetic diet. The only thing that's good for is making sure you end up on insulin after a few years of strong meds. So no. You aren't eating too few carbs, you're eating too many. What you want to do is cut carbs as much as possible. You'll find here most members here eat less than 50g per day, not a meal. One thing to remember is you'll need to add something to make up the calories we like to add natural fats like cream, butter or olive oil to make up the difference.

You can find some good info here:
www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

I think if you follow that you'll end up surprising your docs ;)

Another good site for basic info about how to lower your blood sugar and just exactly what is going on is this one:

www.bloodsugar101.com

After checking out those sites you'll see that most of the info will go against what your docs tell you. Don't worry. We always promote one method, eat to your meter. You'll read about that on the BS101 site. Follow that and you'll be fine

So read up then come back with any questions

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So even though I am getting a 1-hour reading of 89 with a 30 carb meal (I used the daily plate to add up all the carbs in my salad including nuts, seeds, avocado, etc.), I should be eating less carbs?? When you count carbs, is that including carbs in vegetables?

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
So even though I am getting a 1-hour reading of 89 with a 30 carb meal (I used the daily plate to add up all the carbs in my salad including nuts, seeds, avocado, etc.), I should be eating less carbs?? When you count carbs, is that including carbs in vegetables?
Throw away the plate idea and count all carbs and not carb units like they teach you at diabetic classes. That is bases on the ADA guidelines which diabetics learn does not work. ADA gets funds from BIG Pharma who want to keep you sick and a customer for as long as they can. Agriculture and Grocers wants you to buy process foods which also makes us sick.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Welcome!

Do not panic. You have been given excellent advice. Go to Blood Sugar 101 and most of your questions will be answered and we won't have to type up a long response!

I can tell you that by eating a Low Carb High Fat diet, you will reduce your blood sugars and you may avoid taking that Metformin (or at least put it off for a while). The goal is to eat to your meter and keep those blood sugar levels below 140 after meals. Be sure to test at 1 and 2 hours.

A GAD antibodies test will help determine if you are type 1 which adults can develop at anytime. Jenny's site (Blood Sugar 101) has a section on this.

Counting carbs even in veggies is necessary. Everyone is different as to the amount of carbs they can handle, so you must test the foods that you eat. I have done well on this diet for the past year and a half and my lab results show that I am normal. Of course, I still have diabetes, but my LCHF diet is controlling it for now!

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
My OB and endocrinologist were both surprised saying how extremely rare it is for GD (especially diet controlled) to lead to Type 2 (or close enough to 200!).
On the contrary. GD is a sign of a dysfunctional glucose metabolism & it's very much possible that the mother will develop the full blown version later in life. Even the newborn can be assumed to be a candidate for the condition later in life.

You have been given the best links in the business. Do take time to read through the sites and in no time you should see your numbers dropping into non-diabetic territory. Very simply put, all carbs convert into glucose and glucose is our problem, so avoid carbs, reduce glucose dependency & improve your health greatly.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Welcome....I think if you read and learn what everyone is talking about this all will come together for you quickly.

One key point is do not focus on your pre-meal or morning blood sugars as much as your blood sugars (BS) at 1 hour and 2 hours after eating. The key here is that anytime your BS's exceed 140, your body will start to suffer cell damage! So to be safe from further diabetic complications we have to keep our BS below 140 at all times. The primary time we are exposed to these high BS is after we eat, so by taking our BS at 1 hr. and 2 hr. we know if what we ate is acceptable to our bodies ability to process the carbs we ate!

That is a quick summary, but do the reading and this will all become clear...

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
-How do they know I am pre-type 2 and not type 1?
you'll need to have the GAD antibodies test run. Antibodies present = T1, no antibodies = T2

-Should I continue following the GD diet (15 carb snacks, 30-45 carb meals) or is a type 2 diet different?
Forget this diet. It isn't helpful for keeping blood glucose (BG) low if you are having glucose metabolism difficulty. Follow the eat-to-your-meter protocol to tailor your diet to your own needs.

-Is there any way to reverse this 193 number on my OGTT or it will just progressively get worse?
No way to know if your diabetes will progress. But those of us who keep our BG at normal or near normal levels are counting on it not progressing. But everyone is different so there's no guarantee.

-I can't find any info on the typical progression of controlled Diabetes over a life span?
That's probably because no one studies controlled diabetics. No profit in that. However, if you look at the folks on this forum, it would appear that any intervention that lowers BG down to as close to normal levels as possible has a long-term benefits.

-My endocrinologist told me to consider Metformin to fight Diabetes as quickly as possible but I'm nervous that I will forever be stuck on this pill when I know I can handle a strict diet and exercise regimen - any advice?
Metformin is a safe drug to take long-term. However, it may be possible to control your BG by diet alone - I and many others are proof of this. Again - everyone is different. Some have taken it at first and then have been able to go off it after some months of a changed diet (LCHF).

-My glucometer is reading around 90-95 1-hour post-meals (approx 30 carbs). Is this okay or am I eating too few carbs?
That figure is a normal level. It is great. So, you have found that your body can handle 30grams (I take it this was a gram measurement) at one time. Testing regularly will give you more information on how well your body handles whatever level of grams of carbs. BTW - you can't eat too few carbs. Your body actually doesn't need them. If you do greatly reduce carbs, be sure you fill up on health, saturated fats, rather than great amounts of protein.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We always promote one method, eat to your meter.
Thank you for all of the help. I'm not understanding why, if I eat a 30g carb meal and my 1-hour BG is 95, do I need to cut carbs to 20-50g a day? I'm at 45g of carbs today and all of my 1 and 2 hour readings have been in the 70s and 80s...
Also, why is it so important to eat high fat if I'm full with not so much fat?
Thanks again!

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
I just took the OGTT and my fasting came back at 82, but my 2 hour was 193.
Because of this statement. You're showing signs of not being able to process carbs properly. While you may be handle 30-40g a meal for now, how long it will last? It's best to play it safe and know you aren't going to run into issues rather than tempt fate.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm not understanding why, if I eat a 30g carb meal and my 1-hour BG is 95, do I need to cut carbs to 20-50g a day? I'm at 45g of carbs today and all of my 1 and 2 hour readings have been in the 70s and 80s...
Okay - you said any help would be appreciated, and we're trying to help. You should try to understand that we've been living this life and succeeding for many years, so I'm not sure why you're questioning everything we tell you.

The reason we eat high fat is because we're replacing the carbs we delete with natural saturated and unsaturated fats. That's how LCHF works. We no longer use carbs for energy (glucose), we use fats for energy (ketones).

The reason we don't use carbs is because carbs raise blood sugar, every carb and every time - carbs raise blood sugar. It isn't a question of figuring out how many carbs we can get by with - the point is to reduce carb consumption as much as possible. This is what clears your slate for a future with no complications.

The more carbs you eat, the more glucose is converted to glycogen and stored in your liver. That allows your liver to make decisions without your permission . . . by converting the glycogen BACK into glucose and dumping it into your bloodstream when you least expect it - like your morning fasting levels.

If you are serious about controlling your diabetes now and forevermore, then start cutting your carbs as much as possible. The advice you've been given by your medical team is in error - they advocate way too many carbs for good health. So you eat what they advise, you stay sick, and after a few years you notice neuropathy, or failing vision, or kidney disease. But by then it's too late to do anything about it. The time to do something about it is NOW. The medical team will tell you these things are to be expected because diabetes is a progressive disease. But we know it doesn't progress if we don't let it.

People with normal blood sugar levels don't get complications, so we are determined to keep our blood sugar levels as close to normal as possible. You already know from your OGTT that you have a metabolic malfunction. You have the power to control it, and if you are wise, you will take whatever measures are needed to do that.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
cdonoian23...
I know you are by now a bit overwhelmed. And these 'old timers', (I call them that with all the best of intentions because they are saving my life) know what works and will work with your over the long run. But you have to do the work, and get a thick skin, because what they say is not always going to be what you want to hear. Best I can do for you is share my short story with these guys....I have only been doing this LCHF thing since 5/1/2015...62 days now...wow, time fly's when you are having fun....so here is my quick story since 5 May 1...

Welcome on board, I think you will find many answers on this site and a great group of folks that have 'been down the same road’, you are now traveling. I am 65 and found out I was a T2 diabetic 8 years ago. I thought I was managing it well until about 18mo. ago when I found my Ac1 blood sugar test was high for the third time. I was starting to have some foot pain, and my exercising and trying to each less carbs was doing little to get me back on track.

I found this website in April of this year and after reading all the information provided, I did a lot of my own research and determined that changing my eating habits following this High Fat, Low Carb plan was worth a try...including learning to 'eat to my meter'!

I actually started following this style of eating on 5/1/15 and in in the last 8+ weeks my blood sugars have been spot on, with an average of 102 (my meter gives this to me). My weight has dropped by 20 pounds as of this morning. Pretty amazing results....I say! And it started within 24 hours of changing what I ate.

I never feel hungry, but when I start eating, it taste so darn good... This new eating plan is changing my life. Food tastes better, I am full all the time, I have no cravings (after the first two weeks), etc. etc. and icing on the cake, I am losing weight! So I am convinced. I intend on learning and living this life style for as long as I live. I finally have a way that works for me to control my diabetes.

I see my doctor in July, he is going to 'freak' he will probably think I am really ill or having some disease! My Ac1 will be somewhere around 5.2 and I have never been lower than 6.5! I have now lost 20 lbs. also....a benefit of eating real low carbs...

A couple of cautions: do the reading before starting, eating enough fat is critical. Also, be aware that you will 'dump salt' when on this diet. If you get light headed/ tired after starting, it probably is you need to increase you salt intake, this happened to me every afternoon after starting this diet during the first two weeks. I got so bad the last time; I thought I was going to fall down. I did research on this site, when I got home, and found out salt may be the problem. I added lots of salt to my food going forward, that fixed it!

I finally believe I can live with this disease, control blood sugars, get off of some of my meds, and live a better life with less diabetic issues in my health.

Do your reading and research, learn all you can about this eating method and learn more about diabetes.....Get yourself stocked up on test strips for your meter....set a date and give it a try....you will be amazed how you can take control of your disease and life!

Again, welcome, come on in the water is fine! Good Luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay - you said any help would be appreciated, and we're trying to help. You should try to understand that we've been living this life and succeeding for many years, so I'm not sure why you're questioning everything we tell you.

The reason we eat high fat is because we're replacing the carbs we delete with natural saturated and unsaturated fats. That's how LCHF works. We no longer use carbs for energy (glucose), we use fats for energy (ketones).

The reason we don't use carbs is because carbs raise blood sugar, every carb and every time - carbs raise blood sugar. It isn't a question of figuring out how many carbs we can get by with - the point is to reduce carb consumption as much as possible. This is what clears your slate for a future with no complications.

The more carbs you eat, the more glucose is converted to glycogen and stored in your liver. That allows your liver to make decisions without your permission . . . by converting the glycogen BACK into glucose and dumping it into your bloodstream when you least expect it - like your morning fasting levels.

If you are serious about controlling your diabetes now and forevermore, then start cutting your carbs as much as possible. The advice you've been given by your medical team is in error - they advocate way too many carbs for good health. So you eat what they advise, you stay sick, and after a few years you notice neuropathy, or failing vision, or kidney disease. But by then it's too late to do anything about it. The time to do something about it is NOW. The medical team will tell you these things are to be expected because diabetes is a progressive disease. But we know it doesn't progress if we don't let it.

People with normal blood sugar levels don't get complications, so we are determined to keep our blood sugar levels as close to normal as possible. You already know from your OGTT that you have a metabolic malfunction. You have the power to control it, and if you are wise, you will take whatever measures are needed to do that.
I do appreciate your responses more than you know. I just am trying to understand the science and reasoning behind all of it - not questioning it like you don't know what you mean. Sorry if I came across that way. Thanks again.

·
Registered
970 Posts

This.

It's really a very simple concept.

Reactions: patpuckett

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Thank you for all of the help. I'm not understanding why, if I eat a 30g carb meal and my 1-hour BG is 95, do I need to cut carbs to 20-50g a day? I'm at 45g of carbs today and all of my 1 and 2 hour readings have been in the 70s and 80s...
Thanks again!
If you are able to handle 45 grams of carbs at one time, then that would be okay for you. This amount per meal is at the top of the low-carb curve and would probably be called "moderate carb" compared to the 20g-50g per day kind of low-carb way of eating that most of us here do. But everything about diabetes is an individual thing - everyone is different.

My advice is to continue to monitor your BG so that you don't have any surprises down the road. It is through testing that one knows what is going on and can take corrective measures right away - which would mean if your BG starts to rise then you'll know that you need to reduce carbs.

I would say, though, that true LCHF way of eating has other health benefits than just controlling BG. It is a very healthy way to eat, especially if one eliminates grains (which cause their own health issues).

Whatever you decide, you at least now know what you may need to do to manage your (what appears to be only moderate) glucose metabolism issues.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
cdonoian23...
Having questions is perfectly normal and we all found some of this 'hard to believe' until we did a lot of our own research, all recommended reading, and tried it out. I even went as far as buying the paperback book Blood Sugar 101! I then took a ton of time reading research data referenced in the book in that section of the book there are over 200 listed citations referencing the science behind this LCHF life.

If you really like that level of detail, you will find all of that reference citations on the website noted on post #3 above...

Check some of it out...that may help you clarify some of your questions...

Good Luck

1 - 17 of 17 Posts