Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

New here, not to diabetes

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  LarryT 
#1 ·
Hi, my name is MaryAnn.

I have been a diagnosed diabetic since 2005 as type 2, but am now insulin dependent, so I think that makes me type 1 ?? Who knows?!

I am currently on 90 units of Lantus taken twice a day (45 @ time) and novoLog 3 times a day, 5 units. We will see how that works.

I am married for 29 years, 4 kids, 10 grandkids, dog and cat. My main hobby is genealogy. I am a Roman Catholic, which occupies the rest of my time.

#2 ·
Hello, MaryAnn - welcome to DF. Sounds like you keep busy, and it sounds like a happy life! :D

Using insulin is not the criteria for diabetes diagnosis; type 1 patients have antibodies in their blood which define their type. So you are still type 2, but now you are insulin-dependent type 2. ;)

I hope you'll be able to visit often - I think you'll fit right in around here!

#3 ·
Hi Emily, welcome! Shanny is correct. You were probably initially diagnosed as type 2, and had insulin resistance. If so, you are still type 2, but your pancreas is probably not producing much insulin now so you have become insulin dependent. I have used insulin for 65 years and am very healthy. If you use insulin properly, you will find it will give you very good control.

#4 ·
Thanks for that info.

Yes, I was diagnosed Type 2,
so I am now type 2 insulin dependent LOL

Yes, I keep pretty busy, not as busy as I once was.

Thanks to you both for your welcome! ;)

#7 ·
Welcome, Mary Ann! You do sound like a busy lady...I hope not too busy to get into the fray and cut those carbs and eat a healthy diet. I haven't had a Subway this year, but did buy a double salad the other day...it was all the goodies they put on a long one and I felt like some extras since the woman waiting on me understood not being able to eat the bread because of the carbs.

Pull up a chair and join us here...

#8 ·
Mary Ann welcome aboard the forum :welcome:

Lots of good information here, just for the reading! I know in my case some of the food tips for low/lower carb have been great.

I had to change (past years) to Insulin and that has worked very well for my managing D. The combination of Lantus and Novolog seems to have good results for those using both. Just be sure to keep some glucose tablets handy - in case your BG goes to low. Great to have you on the forum!

Larry

#9 ·
Hi Mary Ann....deena here from Australia....I am also a type 2 and use insulin....welcome to the forum

#10 ·
Welcome

Hi MaryAnn and a big welcome to the site from the Philippines. You're sure to get a lot of good information and most of all support here.
10 grand kids? Wow! That must really keep you busy:eek:.

Again, welcome and we're looking forward to reading your posts.

Gene

#14 ·
I live 45 miles south of Colorado Springs or 45 miles west of Pueblo lol
in Canon City home of the highest suspension bridge in the world :rolleyes:

#19 ·
We now have 21 prisons, I think, including
a Federal one.

Quite a few partial and a couple of full dinasaur
skeletons were found here.

Sand dunes are quite a few miles away.

#20 ·
Introductory Post

Thanks for the welcome! My name is Dave; Type 1 Diabetic since 2001/age 17. Today, 27, I hail out of Regina SK, working as Marketing Analyst for a local major phone company, 5 days a week, living out of a 2 bedroom condo with my first time 8-month pregnant common-law, & our dog.

My illness roots from the genetics of a mother who showed it in her mid 40's/the mid-1990's, and has ever since proven a good informant/guide. I have spent an entire decade facing my own diabetes with the ugly habit of finding high blood sugars an alien & unusual discomfort with each appearance, and personally preferred a control method where I could eat whatever food I wanted regardless of carb content (as long as I countered it with a supposedly appropriate sized insulin shot). Seeing thus no harm in over-shooting high-hitting hypoglycemic numbers, (despite the initial shakiness and lightheadedness they'd draw) I used lows as a familiar medical cushion for years on end. As my brother once mused "I sometimes think you go low on purpose just so you have an excuse to treat them with food"

Though my blood sugar has averaged medically below 8.0 overall, it's also yielded years of alternative resulting neurological consequences. By 2003's end I had developed strange growing blind spots in my peripheral vision, dark against brightness and yielding of flashing reactive waves of light. And ever since about 2005, people have noticed random seizure reactions whilst I am sleeping on occasion, themselves traced to a reaction of hypoglycemia during resting hours. Here's one example, recorded by my gf's cell phone video (sorry for the boxers wardrobe):

------you tube .c o m / watchv =fzJLipYR1Go&feature =channel_video_title

I wouldn't fear a life of diabetes control with lows then if it weren't for fear of eventual partial blindness, and waking up after each night spent seizuring and overdosing facing headaches, memory loss, increasingly lowered intelligence, dental/mouth injuries, momentarily compromised sanity, & thrown blood sugar control the following few days.

I'm drawn to this forum in search of exchanged discussion of these symptoms/experiences, in hope of learning more about both their overcome and about the proper handling of the disease in long term general.

#22 ·
Dave welcome to the forum !!!

Glad you found us, there are several here that manage a good part of D control via lowering the carbs. I know in my case that has worked well, am T2 but do use Insulin. There are several T1 here that might be better able to offer advice than myself. Good to have you here.
Larry

Thanks for the welcome! My name is Dave; Type 1 Diabetic since 2001/age 17. Today, 27, I hail out of Regina SK, working as Marketing Analyst for a local major phone company, 5 days a week, living out of a 2 bedroom condo with my first time 8-month pregnant common-law, & our dog.

My illness roots from the genetics of a mother who showed it in her mid 40's/the mid-1990's, and has ever since proven a good informant/guide. I have spent an entire decade facing my own diabetes with the ugly habit of finding high blood sugars an alien & unusual discomfort with each appearance, and personally preferred a control method where I could eat whatever food I wanted regardless of carb content (as long as I countered it with a supposedly appropriate sized insulin shot). Seeing thus no harm in over-shooting high-hitting hypoglycemic numbers, (despite the initial shakiness and lightheadedness they'd draw) I used lows as a familiar medical cushion for years on end. As my brother once mused "I sometimes think you go low on purpose just so you have an excuse to treat them with food"

Though my blood sugar has averaged medically below 8.0 overall, it's also yielded years of alternative resulting neurological consequences. By 2003's end I had developed strange growing blind spots in my peripheral vision, dark against brightness and yielding of flashing reactive waves of light. And ever since about 2005, people have noticed random seizure reactions whilst I am sleeping on occasion, themselves traced to a reaction of hypoglycemia during resting hours. Here's one example, recorded by my gf's cell phone video (sorry for the boxers wardrobe):

------you tube .c o m / watchv =fzJLipYR1Go&feature =channel_video_title

I wouldn't fear a life of diabetes control with lows then if it weren't for fear of eventual partial blindness, and waking up after each night spent seizuring and overdosing facing headaches, memory loss, increasingly lowered intelligence, dental/mouth injuries, momentarily compromised sanity, & thrown blood sugar control the following few days.

I'm drawn to this forum in search of exchanged discussion of these symptoms/experiences, in hope of learning more about both their overcome and about the proper handling of the disease in long term general.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.