The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this site looking for a Forum so I could ask some questions about Diabetes.
Long story short, I bought a meter to test my blood sugar, I have been feeling so tired lately and I get up to pee multiple times a night. I only drink around 5 cups of liquids a day, usually water. I have never been the type to drink a lot..anyway..

So I tested this morning after fasting.
Tested at 10am after 11 hrs of fasting and my level was 101

Tested again at 11:05am about 15 minutes before eating and it was 90 , but I felt on edge and a little shaky

1Hr after eating -120

2Hrs after eating - 138

I washed my hands with warm water and soap before each test.

I have a doctors appointment Dec.5th just for a normal check up.

From everyone's experiences, do these seem to be normal non diabetic numbers? I know you guys aren't doctors, just looking for advice and don't want to look like a fool asking the dr for a test if it doesn't seem necessary

Thanks for reading. :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Technically, a lot of books define normal as up to 140, so those numbers might just squeak in. But Dr Bernstein's normal is 80 to 95, and that seems much more reasonable to me. I've tested non diabetic friends a couple of hours after meals, and the highest they ever read was about 91. Even after I found out I was a diabetic and started taking care of it, I could go for days without getting over 100 at all.

I think it would be a good idea to get the diabetes test. (sorry about an opinion that seems to be bad news)

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
what are you eating?

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
My guess is that you are in about the same boat I was/am in. I'm officially not diabetic, as you can see in my sig line, but only because I jumped on it and have been eating an Atkins/Bernstein/Eades type of low carb diet which got my numbers back in line and I lost 50 lbs that I'd accumulated over some years. I'd sure ask for an A1C for sure at your checkup and see what turns up. If you are lucky you'll be able to control it at this stage.

Good luck and keep us posted,

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. When you are at the doctors ask him about an Oral Glucose Tolerance Test. Your fasting are typical of pre diabetes. Your after meal bgs are trending higher than normal, so that may be a concern. If you are eating a higher carb diet you may want to reduce the carb portions and seee if that lowers you 2 hour after meal bg. The sooner you catch diabetes the better management control you will have.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses and advice, I really appreciate it.

Today when I had the after numbers I had a coke and hamburger, I will be the first to admit I have horrible eating habits. Which I know is NOT good. But seeing that it is affecting my blood sugar I really need to start cracking down before I do end up having diabetes.

I will def. ask the doctor for a more "official" test and see what comes of it.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Thank you for the responses and advice, I really appreciate it.

Today when I had the after numbers I had a coke and hamburger, I will be the first to admit I have horrible eating habits. Which I know is NOT good. But seeing that it is affecting my blood sugar I really need to start cracking down before I do end up having diabetes.

I will def. ask the doctor for a more "official" test and see what comes of it.

make the coke a "diet coke", throw away the bun on the burger and skip the ketchup, and youre going to see quite a difference right there.

last i checked, a can of "regular" soda is in the area of 40g of Carbs alone.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
oh, and get ready to be a label reading fiend! lol

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
137 Posts
Normal fasting blood glucose levels are 99 or less. Your situation certainly merits periodic monitoring and reduction in dietary carbohydrates. It can often be easier to address a situation with minor changes early on than with dramatic changes later after the damage has been done.

All that said minor illnesses and infections can also raise blood glucose levels. Monitoring periodically should pick up any changes in bgs, including good ones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts