The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to this forum. I have had type one diabetes for 11 years now and I am 22 years old at this moment. I have and still continue to have my ups and downs. I take humalog/levemir insulin. I use a low carbohydrate diet and exercise consistently to help improve my blood sugar control. I also enjoy writing, and I have a blog were I write on diabetes and health. Currently, I write about 2 posts a week.

Thanks
Jamil

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Jamil, welcome!! There is much good info available here. If you don't find what you are looking for, let us know. I was diagnosed in 1945, when I was 6, and am very healthy. If we take good care of ourselves, we can have long healthy lives.

Richard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Richard,

Thanks for your reply. That is great to hear that you are doing well. How do you manage your diabetes? What do you do to maintain your health?

Thanks
Jamil

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Jamil, there are type 1 diabetics from many years ago who have managed to avoid serious complications. These long term survivors are being studied at the Joslin Diabetes Center in Boston. There have been about 800 participants, and I participated in 2009. They are looking for the factors that have made us different. they have also announced that about 2000 of us have some kind of inner protection that has prevented us from having serious diabetes related complications. The study is called the Joslin Medalist Study, and every participant has been a type 1 diabetic for at least 50 years. The study is being funded by the JDRF and NIH.

I use very tight control and am also using an insulin pump. I avoid fast acting carbs so there is not a very high BG soon after I eat. I also try to get two hours of exercise every day. That is not easy during cold weather, but I workout at a gym, and I have a treadmill at home.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi and :welcome: On levemir and novorapid myself, a newbie compared to you - have had D for almost 3 years.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts