The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am 53, type 2, take Metformin 850 mg twice a day and Glimepiride, 4 mg twice a day.
I "knew" I was diabetic from all the signs I had, so I went to a Diabetic Dr. who was looking for test subjects. (I have no insurance) My A1C was 14, and the nurse said that is just because the test doesn't go higher. well, they kept me for 6 or 8 months, then the nurse told me they couldn't use me anymore. She told me I couldn't afford to go to this Dr. for treatment and gave me the address of a free clinic. Anyway, I go to a "regular" MD. and I think it is working out ok. My A1C was 7.5 and he wants it lower, around 5.5 I just have questions, but the more I read on here, the more my questions are answered. I read labels, carb count, try to get off my butt! My main problem is portion control!! I have had a hard time with eat more times a day, BUT LESS FOOD. Also, of course, my fav foods are wrong for me.
I have had a bad 7 months, my son died in a car carsh. I have been going through the motions of living, but not taking care of myself. I finally woke up, decided to take care of myself, have been checking my blood, trying to eat right, and now I need to learn just what I need to do. When I started testing, it was 185 to 224, with watching what I eat, eating more small good meals, it is now 105 to 135.
Sorry this is so long. I hope you all can and will help me!! I love this site already!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Jenny Lee, you have made wonderful progress! An A1c of 5.5 is very low and doctors do not usually recommend one that low since it can result in many hypos. Some diabetics pushing themselves for an A1c of 5.5 or less, have ended up in a hospital , unconscious from a hypo. Many doctors suggest 6.5 or less. That is much more reasonable.

Look in the food forum for suggestions for small, low carb meals.

Welcome to our site, ask all the questions you want. We are here to help.

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow, Maybe I missunderstood my Dr. I will have to call him on that. Isn't the main thing I have to do is keep my bloodsugar in check? no high or low swings, but keep it down? If I do this every day, won't the A1c take care of itself? And, what is a good bloodsugar reading, or is everyone different? Is there a set number?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello Jennylee! I'm really happy you found us! Good for you taking the reins & getting this thing under control.

I agree with Richard - your doc is being a little extreme setting such a low A1c goal for you, and you are correct in thinking if you keep the daily readings within range, the A1c will take care of itself. I usually shoot for under 130, and I will grudgingly accept under 140, but I don't like it much. Even an average of 140 bg will compute to an A1c of only 6.1, so we can't go too far wrong. I also believe in avoiding the extreme swings in BG . . . I like to go along smoothly about 100 if I can. Our member ETT has a good doc who says to stay around 100 (plus or minus 20) all the time. That's a pretty fair range & easy to remember.

Thank you for joining us. I know we can all be of great help to one another & enjoy the good company too. Take care, Jennylee, and hurry back!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you for that wish. That was the worst day of my life, But someone told me "life goes on" and that's true, so I have to start living, and that means taking care of myself. So here I am and here I'll stay! thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts