The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I may as well introduce myself. :)

I'm from London UK, will be 52 in March 2008, and have been DM2 (diet+tablets) since June 2000 (actually I knew I was DM2 a month before that, since I noticed that sugary drinks were passing through me a lot quicker than sugar-free ones). I found this forum by Googling for it, because unfortunately my experience is that all Usenet groups with "support" in the name are trollheims; those who need support are attractive targets for those who want to stir up trouble, as well as the tinfoil-hat brigade (the diabetes newsgroups are plagued by at least one peddler of the "aspartame is toxic" hoax, plus a nutcase who reckons that dietary iron is the cause of all illness (he's clearly never heard of anaemia) and that everyone should therefore go vegetarian, and one who keeps pushing off-topic religious views and crossposting them to other groups). Thank goodness that there's no likelihood of any of those (or the spammers) here...

As well as DM2 I also suffer from SVT, tachycardia (these two are probably linked) which is invariably accompanied by angina, heavy sweating and breathing problems; I also have peripheral neuropathy and hence walk with the aid of a stick, plus left ventricular failure (definitely linked to the palpitations) background retinopathy (nothing to worry about at present, but I have to make sure it doesn't get any worse), iron-deficiency anaemia (so much for the nut mentioned above), the inevitable obesity (currently 126kg, but I aim to get down to 75kg by December 2008) and obstructive sleep apnoea for which I'm currently on a CPAP machine whilst I sleep. However, these problems aren't serious most of the time.

As for my interests, I spend most of my time on the EmailDiscussions and World of Spectrum forums; I'm also sometimes to be found on the RetroSpec forum, which I help to moderate -- indeed, I've just squashed another spammer as I post this.

If you see someone called "[email protected]" or "korax1214" anywhere online, it's probably me. ;)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Welcome aboard i am Martina from BC Canada, i was DX with Type 2 Diabetes July 2005 and i am on two different Oral diabetes Meds. i also have many other health conditions

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Hi There Again Robert and Welcome! :)

Well, that was certainly an interesting Introduction. It
does seem that you have a full plate to deal with though.

I had laser treatment for P Retinopathy 24 years ago in my
left eye, as I've mentioned already on here. With Good results.

I totally agree with you on the trolls, some peddlers and spammers.
We got a couple so far. They must be Very bored with themselves.;)
Bigger Forums obviously get more.

I wish you much success in losing weigh...a challenge for sure.

I'll have to wish you: ***HAPPY BIRTHDAY ROBERT*** :D now(just
in case) and have a Good one! :D

See you about.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts