Diabetes Forum banner
  • Welcome! Are you ready to join the discussions? Click here!

New here

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ColaJim 
#1 ·
Type 1 diabetic for 13 years, on the pump, mother of two..
Having really hard time taking care of myself, don't really know why

#2 ·
It is your motherly instincts that do that to you. As a mother you feel compelled to attend to your children first, and if there is a man in your life he comes second, and unfortunately your needs are third are third. You need to make a conscious effert to attend to your needs so you can more effectively take care of you family. It is just like the emergency card on airplanes that say to put your own oxygen mask on first.

#3 ·
Welcome to the Forum Queenie.

i hope you are able to find this place as useful as i have

#4 ·
:welcome: from me too! There's good support here, hopefully some other mom's will weigh in as well as us men folk...

#5 ·
I think it is natural for moms to take care of everyone else first before we take care of ourself is very natural. I have raised 5 kids and have to say I neglected my health during my 30's and 40's. I found out the hard way what happens when you don't take care of yourself. Find some time everyday to pay attention to yourself, even if it means getting a babysitter. Mom's need a life too.

G
#6 ·
welcome Queenie :) at the end of the day we're the ones making choices about our own health... noone else will. I'm a person that naturally puts everyone else first too and I'm not even a mum. So I really have to focus... but right now with illness I have no choice but to do that. Hopefully you're feeling healthy, don't let yourself get too run down and if you feel you're not doing as well... have a good look at what you may need to do, make changes, and just keep moving on.... living a fulfilled life. I hope you have a good medical team behind you. There's lot of support here though... so look forward to hearing your experiences, etc.

#7 ·
Type 1 diabetes is manageable, but it takes time and patience to do so. I have managed my type 1 diabetes for 65 years and I am doing very well. I hope you will take the time to have good control of your diabetes, for your own good, and for your children!

Richard

#9 · (Edited)
deleted because it was not a Pollyanna post

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.