The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am Olli, German but live in South Floirda.

I was diagnosed with Type-1 diabetes in 1991. I lived in the UK for 5 years before I moved over to Florida. In the UK I used aound 160 Units of Novorapid and 60 Units of Lantus. Of course I was slightly overweigt :) ( 315lbs ), didn't excercise at all. Average sugar around 13.

Since I moved to Florida my Doctor changed everything. I got Avandia, Metformin and later Onglyza. I started working out 5 to 7 times a week in my local Gym, lost 60lbs, average sugar went down to 7.5.

As Avandia has been pulled of the market I got Actos. Since that my blood sugar is not as good as it was and I gained 11lbs the last 4-5 weeks. I am not very happy with this and will get talk to my Doc next week to get this changed.

Olli

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Germany, the UK, now the U.S. You must have some interesting stories to tell and we hope you will share them with us. The lounge is a good place to post those sorts of things.

You said you were diagnosed type 1, but the gray box with your user name and other info. says type 2. I hope you can change that soon or people might give you type 2 advice instead of type 1. You found a great forum here, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was diagnosed as Typ-1 but my Doc in the US said this is nonsense, I need far too much Insulin, so I have an Insulin resistance and might still produce Insulin. So since I changed to Avandia I didn't use any more Insulin at all.

That's why I choose Typ-2

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
There is a member (maybe several) on this board that is Type 1 with insulin resistance. Simply because you are insulin resistant does not make you Type 2.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Put I want to get rid of this Actos crap.

Things I forgot to mention: Before I started working out and changin medication I had high blood pressure, this is fixed now, it is always around 125/75 .

I am as well on cpap ( Sleep apnoe ). This is the next thing to fix but for that I need to loose more weight but no chance with Actos.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Current Doc said: You are a Typ-2 diabetic dude :)
Did you get the appropriate tests done to determine that or did he just make a guess based on your insulin usage?

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yes, he asked for the appropriate blood tests that verified his guess.
That's great news!! I'm glad you will finally be able to treat your condition in the way that is most effective.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.