The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I was just diagnosed yesterday and really have no idea what im doing. Its really overwhelming but i heard about this place and i am hoping it will ease some worry.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Welcome, this is a great place to be. I know it was with the help of the members of this group that I have been able to get my BG numbers under control

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Getting diagnosed can be a shock, and you're among a group of people who know exactly what it feels like!

I also didn't know what to do, eat, think - and arrived here pretty bewildered. The best thing I did was read and then read some more, and ask plenty of questions.

The only thing to be afraid of with diabetes is doing nothing. If we ignore it, then it's a problem. But it's very controllable and people live long healthy happy lives with diabetes.

How did you find out you are diabetic? Did you have symptoms or did it come out through a routine blood test?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have wondered for years what was wrong with me, sick, dizzy, thirsty, ect, and had gone to several doctors and they all said i was just suffering from deppression. None of them ran blood tests though and wouldn't listen to me. I am not a doctor but i know what my body is telling me. Well this has gone on for seven years now and i found my current doctor, long time in searching and only after two weeks of testing he sat me down and actually let me see the numbers and told me what they meant. I am t2 diabetic.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Blake . . . I'm sorry it took seven years for someone to pay attention. I'm beginning to think depression is akin to obesity . . . if we're depressed or obese, everything else must derive from that. Shoot - I could practice medicine if that's all it takes!

Make yourself at home here & I think we can help out getting your confusion swept away.

Good to meet you - I hope you'll be visiting us often.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Glad you found out now about your diabetes instead of having to wait another seven years! And good on you for being here within a day of finding out - you're to be commended. It bodes well for you, because diabetes is something we have to actively manage ourselves - with all the information and support we get from our docs and our own research.

Did your doc give you any medication? Any guidelines? A meter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for the fast responses. You are amazing. Yea he got me on some meds and a meter. He wants me to loose weight in the next two moths and change my eating habits of course and then take it from that point.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Hi all. I was just diagnosed yesterday and really have no idea what im doing. Its really overwhelming but i heard about this place and i am hoping it will ease some worry.
Your post sounds exactly the way I felt when I learned I have diabetes and stumbled across this website. But someone advised me to do some reading at Blood Sugar 101 and that was the best advice they could have given me at the time. I hope you will hop over there and do some reading yourself. It's easy to understand, you'll learn a lot of things you need to know, and it will remove much of the fear and worry you are feeling right now. Glad you found us. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Welcome Blake! I know it can be a HUGE shock. Hang in there man, and lean on the DOC. That's why we're here.

Take it slowly, your recovery, and don't try to fix everything at once. As always, if you have any cooking-related questions on your adjustment, don't hesitate to ask, and I will help if I can.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I like the www.blood sugar 101 site too. It gives you so much info that doctors forget to tell us. The good thing is now you know what is wrong and you can work to manage your bgs. Did they give you a bg meter and Rx for strips. If not get one ASAP. Testing will become your life line. Use the numbers you get especially 2 hours after eating to determine what meals are best for you. Initially you want to be between 120-140 after meals and once you reach those goals you can start to reduce it. I currently aim for 110 after meals, some days are better than others.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forums. I'm also a T2 diabetic, but unlike you I'm on insulin and metformin for the diabetes. It has taken some work, but I feel that I am finally getting a hang of it. Hope to see you around the forums more.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hello, Blake. Welcome to the forums. You'll find lots of people here who can help you or can help you find the information you are needing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Isn't that the truth, Shanty? I sometimes think that people who are actually suffering from diabetes, or high blood pressure, or whatever type of chronic condition is yours..... could actually be a better doctor than one who just has the MD an no practical experience with it.

Shanty, is there any way that a person can use a sig on here, like yours with your stats and such on it? I haven't been able to find where to go to create one.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Shanty, is there any way that a person can use a sig on here, like yours with your stats and such on it? I haven't been able to find where to go to create one.
I wrote my signature block with the Paint application & then uploaded the image to a photo storage website (Image Shack, Photobucket, etc). Gotta make it as small as possible though - there's limited space available for images.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts